View Full Version : Noise when turning? (9 inch)

bhz28
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I have been having random noises coming from the driver side rear while driving and today I did a lot of turning and almost everytime I turned today the rear made a clinking/whine type sound (hard to describe) anyone know what could be wrong? BTW it is a Moser 9 inch, and I have had it for a few years.

96mikez28
07-09-2007, 08:32 PM
More info man, what do you have in there a spool? tru trac? what gears blah blah blah

bhz28
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I believe it is a locker (bought the rear before I was "in the know") 3.50 gears 31 spline axles needanything else let me know.

CTSmechanic
07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
The clunking youre describing would be the locker...its supposed to do that.. the springs in the locker may be loosing their pressure if you have had it for a few years

jmill96Z
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
My Detroit Locker is a noisy bitch if I don't put enough additive in it.

thechef
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
LMAO if you have a detroit locker you would know it TRUST me

bhz28
07-10-2007, 03:31 PM
LMAO if you have a detroit locker you would know it TRUST me
well when it was new it did make a "clunk" like it was locking and unlocking when turning, but there is no way this noise is right......I am pretty sure it is a locker. What additive do you put in it maybe if I add a bit it will quiet it down? But anyway the noise I described doesn't happen everytime I turn and sometimes happens when going straight, making several turns in a row just really brought it out. I know the clunk you all are talking about and it used to do it but it stopped then after a while this new noise started. Maybe I need new springs or more additive?

CTSmechanic
07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Additives have nothing to do with the way a locker works....Theres two springs in the center no friction disks... locking and unlocking is caused by differences in Wheel speed...If the locker is worn the ramps that keep it locked get chipped and it has a harder time keeping locked..

bhz28
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Additives have nothing to do with the way a locker works....Theres two springs in the center no friction disks... locking and unlocking is caused by differences in Wheel speed...If the locker is worn the ramps that keep it locked get chipped and it has a harder time keeping locked..

what would you suggest I do? Could that be my problem?

thechef
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
when you turn right or left EVERYTIME you will hear CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK like having a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle like when we were kids

bhz28
07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
when you turn right or left EVERYTIME you will hear CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK like having a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle like when we were kids

......ok well I said that it USE TO DO THAT, now the noise that it makes is not the same. It sounds as if something is wrong, kinda sounds like it is trying to CLICK but instead growls and whines.

bhz28
07-11-2007, 10:32 AM
anyone?

CTSmechanic
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM
You should prob think about taking it out and having it looked at, maybe put a new locker in it or search around for a quality used one... depending on what the ring and pinion look like as well as the bearings....I'd say its time for a service

bhz28
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
thanks CTSmechanic

thechef
07-11-2007, 08:54 PM
well if you need to replace yours i am swapping my center section with the locker for a new one with a alum case and a tru trak, and i will be looking to sell mine