Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question after head and cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question after head and cam install

I am finally getting back into my fbodies after a good year break for some other things. My Formula has been in the garage for the last year only started maybe once a month to blow out the cobwebs and now I am really focusing on getting it right

I installed a cam and a set of ported ls1 heads last year but never got it tuned. I am in the process of finding someone to get everything right for me. but i have a question about something that getting to me. when my car is idling and snap the throttle to make it rev up it seems like it revs slowly and then come back down to idle. It not a really snapping rev like my other stock LS1. Is this something in the tune that will be oka once i get it done. or might something else be cause this problem. Any one have a similar experience after H/C install??

thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

well honestly, out of my 6 ls1 cars, none of them have had a fast, "snappy" rev. ive done a dozen head/cam swaps and i never noticed any "difference" in pre-install rev and post-install rev it doesnt sound like anything is wrong, just get someone good to tune it for ya. did u by chance disconnect the throttle cable on the passenger side of the engine bay while you were installing?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

a snappy rev will only occur if the rotation assembly is lighter than stock...

other than that, your rev rate will not drastically speed up for any reason after a head cam install....

I would def get some sort of tune, check 02 sensors just to be sure they are good, and change the oil...

Then drive that thing!

Erik
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

do you think if the rocker arms are too tight that it would have a slower rev since it has to work harder to move the valve train??
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Formula_Power
do you think if the rocker arms are too tight that it would have a slower rev since it has to work harder to move the valve train??

No, the forces applied to the rocker by way of the pushrod/lifter/cam are extremely high...overtorquing the rocker would not slow revs...it would add stress to the threads in the head if anything...

You certainly do NOT want to overtighten rockers in an aluminum head, unless you want to strip the threads...

I tighten rockers to 22 ft/lbs, then turn the motor over, then re-torque just to be sure. Dont forget lock-tite

Erik

Quick Reply: Question after head and cam install