General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low votage

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low votage

well my car was acting up last night and died out..charged the battery last night and started right up this morning voltage was still a little low. Thought it was the alternator so i ripped it out brought it to the local auto zone was about to buy a new one and thought about testing it. had them test it it was fine. then i thought it was the battery so i brought that back down and it was fine as well. some thing has to be drawing power from the battery causing it to drain it.. im bringing it to my machanic tomorrow morning but does anyone have any thoughts about what it could be? thanks any one having the same problems??
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Just went through the exact same thing, except I actually replaced the alternator and battery to find out that it still wasn't charging. Turned out to be a bad connection of the single wire to the alternator that controls the regulator. The plug itself was in real bad shape so I just bought a new one from the dealer and spliced it into the single red wire. Charges perfect now. BTW, don't forget to disconnect the battery before you drop the alt. down to get to the wire. I forgot and had a huge spark that burned a hole in one of the metal power steering lines The dealer couldn't find one anywhere and suggested I try the junkyard....
Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Teching In

thanks ill look into that... how did u figure out it was that
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dsmith09876
thanks ill look into that... how did u figure out it was that
An expensive process of elimination.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DKITCHEN
Just went through the exact same thing, except I actually replaced the alternator and battery to find out that it still wasn't charging. Turned out to be a bad connection of the single wire to the alternator that controls the regulator. The plug itself was in real bad shape so I just bought a new one from the dealer and spliced it into the single red wire. Charges perfect now. BTW, don't forget to disconnect the battery before you drop the alt. down to get to the wire. I forgot and had a huge spark that burned a hole in one of the metal power steering lines The dealer couldn't find one anywhere and suggested I try the junkyard....

Glad I'm not the only one who blew a hole in the power steering lines. Luckilly I blew it on the low pressure side so just filed it down and used jb weld. Has held fine for over a year.

As for the original post. You need to check to see what kind of a draw is being placed on your battery with everything off. Remember our BCM is active I believe 10 minutes after you shut your door. Your mechanic should be able to do this.