Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 slipping, weird

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 slipping, weird

My spec has been in the car for about 3 months, it was already used before in the car before the automatic conversion, then I converted back to a 6 speed. Anyways, the clutch has been pretty good for the past 3 months minus the shuddering it did under load in a higher gear at low rpm's. Just a few days ago it started slipping bad, I can be in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear at 1900 rpms and give it a little gas to speed up, probably 20% throttle.. the thing just slips and the rpm's go up like i'm driving an auto with a stall. If I downshift and get on it, it will slip like crazy than finally hook,, BUT 1st gear HOLDS, it doesnt slip under full throttle if I start in 1st gear at WOT, I can run through the gears with very little to no slipping. I've never used a kevlar race clutch before I got this car so this is weird to me. Its like this clutch has been a handicap ever since I got it, cant race from a roll, slips at high gears just daily driving unless i'm at 5k rpm's , and its gradually getting worse.

Is this just the sign of it going bad or bad component in the clutch assembly? I plan on getting a spec 2, or something that drives normal but holds better... I cant stand this thing.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Launching!

I had a spec stage II clutch in my STi with 340awhp and it died real quick. My current STi ran the oem clutch with 390awhp and never slipped. For the price ACT or Clutchmasters is a better product.

Nick
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I suggest trying a 3+, its a much better clutch than a pucked 3. Drives really good IMO.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by brad8266
I suggest trying a 3+, its a much better clutch than a pucked 3. Drives really good IMO.
I heard the 3+ is kind of rough but really strong, typically, does a disc style drive smoother than a puck style clutch? THe 3+ is pretty excessive for my set up. I hear the 2+ drives like a stock clutch but holds like a stage 3. 530tq is good enough for me right now. I just dont want my clutch to be limited to certain driving styles, I seriously cant race from a roll with this spec 3, it shudders/slips and then hooks.

White Out - thats horrible, pretty sad that a stock clutch ouclassed the spec 2, maybe it was faulty?? I'll check out those brands you mentioned.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 3+ I have isnt really rough at all once its broken in. It was a little hard up to 1000 miles but then it was ok, and now with 7K on it it drives really nice.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

LOL read my post on this page, same exact **** except mine lasted 8 months. I guess my idea of there being a bad batch aint such a crazy idea afterall. Do a search and you will find you are not the only person in the same boat. A guy from Spec used to post here but he has been really quiet lately.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its worn. Get a new clutch
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Its gone man, My Ram HD is doing the same thing as you, after 7K miles. I am looking into the Spec 3+ now.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

I had a spec 3 go out on me in 3 months. Only 1 launch with nitrous. Go textralia.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Man I am starting top get worried. With all these defective clutches Spec is never gonna be able to give warranty clutches to all the customers that had one fail on them.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Man I am starting top get worried. With all these defective clutches Spec is never gonna be able to give warranty clutches to all the customers that had one fail on them.
I would think that the amount of failures as a percentage is probably close to any other clutch manufacturer. The thing is that SPEC seems to sell a lot more than the others, hence why you hear so many more bad stories.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Wow this clutch is a pile of crap then... The way its acting doesnt make sense at all but at least I know i'm not alone. I was driving to work this morning and everytime I shift and lightly excellerate like NORMAL you would think I was driving on ice... nope its just the clutch.

What is the most durable clutch for the price?? I would be tempted to get a stock replacement LS6 just because I've never had weird problems with an organic style clutch but I'm sure I make too much power for that. 400 to the wheels. I guess i'll look into the spec 3+ or 2+
Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Ima, You mention that the clutch has been in 3 months this time...how long was it installed previously? Is it being used with the same flywheel as before? Are you sure the unit doesn't have any contaiminate on the surface? All of these questions are valid and the answers can evidence the cause of your problem. When and where was this kit purchased? Pull the unit and send me some pics and I will be happy to discuss this with you further. Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharlieSS
I had a spec 3 go out on me in 3 months. Only 1 launch with nitrous. Go textralia.
The 3+ is much better than the 3 and Tex options. Go with it as it will last though several additional mods without worry of over powering it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Ima, You mention that the clutch has been in 3 months this time...how long was it installed previously? Is it being used with the same flywheel as before? Are you sure the unit doesn't have any contaiminate on the surface? All of these questions are valid and the answers can evidence the cause of your problem. When and where was this kit purchased? Pull the unit and send me some pics and I will be happy to discuss this with you further. Thanks!!
It was used for a few months before, maybe 5 track uses and now I've been driving it on the street. Its the flywheel from spec, theres no need to get a new one. If the unit had contamination it probably would've crapped out the first week. When I get some money for a new clutch I will def take pictures and send them to you. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Actually contamination can happen on a new clutch or one that is years old. You could have a rear-main seal leak, an over greased input-shaft, or a leaky slave. Of course, until the kit comes out of the car there is no way to no the actual cause. Either way, let me know if you have any further questions. I look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Actually contamination can happen on a new clutch or one that is years old. You could have a rear-main seal leak, an over greased input-shaft, or a leaky slave. Of course, until the kit comes out of the car there is no way to no the actual cause. Either way, let me know if you have any further questions. I look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks!
I dont have any leaks, no oil on the ground( I've had a main seal leak before on my lt1) If the slave was leaking It would probably empty the master cylinder by now, I just checked it yesterday its fine. Hopefully I can take care of this issue soon, thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ima get mines
I dont have any leaks, no oil on the ground( I've had a main seal leak before on my lt1) If the slave was leaking It would probably empty the master cylinder by now, I just checked it yesterday its fine. Hopefully I can take care of this issue soon, thanks for the help.
When you put the 6-speed back in the car did you get a new slave or reuse the old one?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Tex twin and don't look back!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Drewstein
When you put the 6-speed back in the car did you get a new slave or reuse the old one?
I bought a used one from Donamian, he's a moderator on here. Its an 02 with hardly any miles on it.

Quick Reply: Spec 3 slipping, weird