Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaking problem in the suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking problem in the suspension

hey I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem for me. I have a 2001 SS with 36,000 miles and no accidents or anything it is in amazing condition. However when I am driving around town I notice a lot of squeaking and tension in the suspension. Whenever I go over a speed bump, come to a stop with breaks, or go down any non flat road it can get quite loud and noticeable without the radio on or the windows down. I really don't understand what it could be other than maybe I need to get the car lubricated. I just want to make sure I don't have a big problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Your thoughts sound like they're on target. Try the sway bar bushings first.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Launching!

If I drive around for a few months without doing anything could it cause any problems? or just get annoying
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I drove around with sqeaking sway bar bushings for a few months without problems, but its a fairly quick fix for those.

As for the other bushings (stock I assume), I'm not sure how you would grease those, and I've since replaced most of my suspension components (which have grease fittings installed), with the exception of the front control arms.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Launching!

so I get front and rear bushings for the sway bars, and just like jack it up and pop them out?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

The bushings should be fine. Try and bounce the car to see exactly where the sqeak is coming from, an extra person would help. If it is the sway bar bushings, get some good marine type of grease, synthetic maybe. If it's the front, roll the car up onto ramps, that way the suspension is loaded, making bushing removal easier, undo the bushings, clean the sway bar, grease the inside of the bushings, replace. For the rear, lift using the differential, but be careful not to lift by the differential cover. Place the car on jack stands, but keep the rear loaded. Do the same thing as the front. Do not grease the endlinks.

Again, I'm guessing it's sway bars based on my experience. A friend to bouce the car a bit (using the radiator support for the front and top of rear quarter for rear) while you walk around listening would help norrow down the location.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

squeaks(audible) can be felt as vibrations to the touch.With the car on the ground parked,lay underneath it just far enough to be able to touch the component you suspect as the cause of the 'squeak'.Push upwards on the car with one hand while touching the component with the other(a lot of suspension movement is NOT required).If the component you're touching while pushing up is the culprit,you will feel vibrations.
I lubed my bushings(both sway bars and LCAs) with Permatex anti-seize compound/lube(the silver stuff) and haven't had a squeak since.

Quick Reply: Squeaking problem in the suspension