General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AH HA!!! i was wrong yet again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AH HA!!! i was wrong yet again!!!

ok so i had this very loud squeek coming from my engine (97 lt1 m6)..i took it to my mechanic..he told me it was the alternator.so i had that rebuilt..and the squeek got louder..i took the alternator off and spun it by hand..a squeeky noise was coming from it. i took it to autozone to check it out, i was told it was in perfect working condition.today on my way to work the squeek got even LOUDER!! and it gets louder when i turn the ac on!!!! (note: my ac is working just fine though..)

my question is, my ac compressor cant be bad since it still puts out ice cold air, right? what could this be??? and how much am i looking to spend having a mechanic doing it for me??thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the belt and check all of the accessories. My bet it's the tensioner.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Remove the belt and check all of the accessories. My bet it's the tensioner.
yea, i would take the belt off and spin all accessories, common ones are tensioner or idler pulley.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Try putting a new Serpentine belt on it 1st before you start taking everything off. That may be what's causing the noise.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RBS_97Z28
Try putting a new Serpentine belt on it 1st before you start taking everything off. That may be what's causing the noise.
I am having the same problem. I am positive that it is coming from the alternator. Mine started doing it after I put a new belt on. I got the belt from Autozone. Do you think a different belt would help?

Not trying to hijack your thread, just don't want to start a new thread when we are having the same problem. I might try getting a different belt from the dealership and see if that helps before I take off the alternator and have it rebuilt.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Ive been told that even though my ac works just fine..that it may be the clutch in the ac..would it be best to replace just the clutch or get a whole new ac unit? about how much would i be looking at in labor costs for swaping ac compressors? thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alot of times it is best to have a new compressor put on than it is to have a clutch replaced . you also run the risk of having the compressor go out after putting on a new clutch and have to buy it all over again.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh Nickelsen
I am having the same problem. I am positive that it is coming from the alternator. Mine started doing it after I put a new belt on. I got the belt from Autozone. Do you think a different belt would help?

Not trying to hijack your thread, just don't want to start a new thread when we are having the same problem. I might try getting a different belt from the dealership and see if that helps before I take off the alternator and have it rebuilt.
I too have the same problem since i changed my belt although i was told that i need to replace the idler pulley. Did so and the squeak got louder, i think due to the newer slightly thicker pulley that didnt have a 120,000 wear groove in it. Been looking into things and when i had the serpantine belt off in the last several attempts to fix the problem i noticed that just by eyeballing the pulleys they seemed out of alignment. In my thread from several days ago in this same forum a guy alerted my to a Service Bulliten stating that the alternator bracket that the idler pulley is also attached to comes out of its original place after some time and causes the squeak due to misalignment of the pulleys themselves weither they are new or not. My squeak sounds (to me) like a dry bearing when at low RPM just after start. It will also subside after about 30-45 min of driving, although just a 10 min cool down will start things over. Hopefully one of us can find the secret of the elusive "new serpantine belt squeak" i know several local LS1 owners with the same problem but they just put the old belt back on. Bracket change it my next try. Ill post the results when im done.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Launching!

damn, now i realize that the original post was made by an LT1. Sorry dude, i dont know if our conditions are applicable since im sure the serpantine accessory system is totally different. Im sure me and Josh Nikelson are having the same problem though. The service bulliten was for LS1's that fell within a certain vin number catagory. They ran from 98-00 and i see you qualify. Might want to eyeball it as well and see if maybe you may have the same problem. Somebodys gonna fix this!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Launching!

And as for the LT1 question about compressors, get ready, cause an LS1 compressor is like 600-800 bucks. I know, the SS's just crapped out.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the compressors rebuilt or aftermarket much cheaper if you shop around. Think I paid around $280.00 for a rebuilt one. Better yet check up here for someone that pulled their AC. You can have a compressor that works but still makes noise due to bad bearings or problems with the clutch.

As said above, run the engine without the belt to see if you still get the squeal. Turn each pully by hand checking for noise of especially binding. If it's that loud I would think it was the belt slipping, it's cheap so replace it anyway if you haven't done it in a while.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say your guess at a bad a/c clutch is right on.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HIZPANICGUY21
Ive been told that even though my ac works just fine..that it may be the clutch in the ac..would it be best to replace just the clutch or get a whole new ac unit? about how much would i be looking at in labor costs for swaping ac compressors? thanks
if you could find a new clutch then thats all i would replace as it should be about 1/3 of the cust of a new compressor and the orginal (delphi) seems to last longer. i have yet find a place that has just the clutch haven't tryed the dealer yet though.