Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch shopping, questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch shopping, questions

Ok, so my stock clutch is finally about to go (51k miles), it doesn't engage until it's almost all the way up. No slipping yet, but it's getting annoying, and why wait till it's completely dead?

I have an 02 Z28 with just a cutout. My power goal is around 360rwhp in about 4 years, because I'll be going to college, so I won't have any money for mods But after college, hopefully H/C. Or TT... probably H/C though. I might take 3 or 4 track passes during college, but it'll mostly be a DD.

Should I just replace with a stock clutch (I think it's the LS6 clutch?) and plan on replacing it when I get the H/C? Or should I invest in the LS7/LS2? From the reviews on this setup, I'm confident I could make it last till after the H/C. Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 AM
TECH Resident

An LS7 would be a good investment. I've been through 4 clutches (190,000 miles), the factory was decent... some retarded mechanic put a GM HD truck clutch in it (don't ask me, I was out of the loop on that one) and it was ok until it fell apart, literally... The centerforce sucked from the start, and continued to suck until I replaced it... and finally went to an LS7 clutch/pp/flywheel, and it's great, no complaints at all. Lighter pedal, firm shifts. You can get the whole kit for around $400 now. I wouldn't waste your time going back to stock, but I also wouldn't waste your money on an aftermarket clutch that'll probably only get you 10-20k miles. My .02
Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if it's better then a HD truck clutch, I would think it's worth the money, lol. If I got the LS7 clutch/pp/flywheel, would I need new hydraulics too?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at RAM, good prices and quiality products.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
Well if it's better then a HD truck clutch, I would think it's worth the money, lol. If I got the LS7 clutch/pp/flywheel, would I need new hydraulics too?
You wouldn't need new hydraulics... but I would strongly recommend at least replacing the slave cylinder. They cost ~$150, depending on where you get them. Make sure you buy the f-body slave, the LS7 slave will not work. It's a lot better to replace it now, than to have to pull the tranny to do it later. The master can be changed anytime, it's a pain, but you don't have to pull the tranny to do it. I wouldn't replace the master unless you think it needs a new one... I think mine ran all the way up to 110 or 120k miles.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

this is real simple.don't half step with your car just buy the ls7 clutch with the ls2 flywheel for 399.99 from scroggin dickey in lubbuck texas in let it rip!I was having all kinds of clutch issues with everything being new but the ls7 clutch kit seem to fix it all!You gotta try this clutch you can't go wrong if you are under 550hp
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, just ordered the LS7 Clutch kit from Scroggin Dickey. Would any part of the old LS6 clutch be sellable? Once it engages it holds real strong, but I'm not sure what exactly wears down... Or does it all wear down? I'm trying to scrape up some money for a catback.

And thanks for all the help on my decision

Quick Reply: Clutch shopping, questions