Sponsored by:

school me on wiring for efi

Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default school me on wiring for efi

(i posted this on pro-touring.com also)

i think i shy away from the idea of efi because i dont understand how the wiring goes. ive been looking at the the picture of the ls1 6 speed harness on the speartech web page and it doesnt look that bad.

so how do you wire the pcm? i assume all the plugs go to their desired location on the engine (crank, cam, coils...) but what about the rest? is there a mass of wires that you must splice to your cars fuse block?

i hear about people building relays and all sorts of madness. is it possible to just ground the pcm, supply ignition voltage, hook up the tach signal? when using a stand alone harness. much like an msd box.

my 69 camaro has an 18 circuit painless harness. it has wires for everything! even an electric fuel pump. wiring was super easy. just wondering how easy that would be to adapt.

found a complete 2000 z28 ls1 set up for $2500. includes everything, front accessories, wiring, complete intake to pan, with pcm.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you buy a stand alone harness, it will probably come with 8 wires that need to be hooked up. The engine will actually start with only three of them hooked up. Speartech does good work and customer service is never a problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case I used a www.Howell-efi.com harness.
Yes there are more wires than 4-6, but it is mostly
plug and play as the sensors were on the motor.
All wires were marked well.
Fuel Pump you would want to use the Harness
fuel pump feed. My harness had Fan relay and fuel
pump relay connectors built in and just plugged in
the relays. Customer service was fantastic!!!!!
Always a quick on the phone answer.
The only interlinking of harnesses I have is supplying
the PCM harness with constant 12V and ignition 12V.
Other than that my harness has a seperate fuse
block and attachment to the Alt Batt post.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Also I had to have my PCM re-flashed to take out a few stock
2002 Camaro items, like VATS and O2 sensors and other
things that the stock PCM may be looking for that you won't
have or need in a 69 Camaro.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

thanks guys. thats exactly what i wanted to hear. doest seem that bad to me now. im very tempted to do the swap. i just drove my 69 to a local shop to have a plate welded to the floor (had a hand operated e-brake at one time) and lemme tell ya, the hurst shifter and mechanical clutch on my muncie sucks and my engine is damn near non streetable even after i swapped a smaller cam in.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If having a fast, drivable and reasonably economical classic car is your goal, an LSx with EFI is a great way to go. It is not uncommon for a 3500 pound car to run 12s, get 25 mpg, start easy and be very docile to drive around. Sounds like the best of all worlds eh?

My Speartech harness just needed 4 wires to run, then also had tach, speedo, fan control, cruise control (I have electric throttle) and AC idle control additional. It was not hard to wire into my existing system and fired up on the first revolution of the engine. It came well labled with excellent instructions.

Good luck with your project, DO IT!

Pat
Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our 67 is getting 27mpg, drives like a new car, and only took us 3 months to do. If you haven't looked at what a husband/wife team of EFI novices can do in our spare time, please check our thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/684612-story-our-ls1-swap-into-67-camaro.html
Old 07-14-2007, 02:06 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

ive looked over your bulid a few times now. are you using the entire factory wiring on that camaro? i junked all of mine and went with a painless 18 circuit harness and fuse block, along with an one wire alternator.

looks like you had a hell of a lot of wires goin on there for a stand alone harness.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

We rebuilt the factory harness, and added the gauge harness for the console inside. We decided to completely redesign/rewire the headlight system as ours was incomplete, and the factory setup is not cheap. Using more modern parts should improve reliability/servicablility as well. Part of the mess you saw was adding the modern wiper motor (another harness!), the Cable-X, and the Tach adapter. Overall, the wiring really wasn't that bad. We used Speartech to have the factory LS1 harness modified. Once we started installing the motor, we redid all the wiring in the car. We now have full confidence in it.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:45 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

im also using autometer gauges. all i would need to do is swap to an electric speedo.

here is the build thread for my camaro. no ls1 but still pretty decent.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90303

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: school me on wiring for efi