Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Drives

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Accessory Drives

First off: Is it me or is search not working properly?

Ok, here's the deal. Between buying and building the LQ4, the Dry Sump system and the turbos I'm about tapped out... Is there any Accessory Drive that isn't a couple thousand dollars or has somebody made there own? I love these drives, they are beautiful and I am sure worth every penny but $2,000+ is just out of my range right now. At this point it doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to work.

So, anybody with some advice on making accessory drives post up!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

What type of vehicle is it going into?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, what's it going in would be helpful.

What accessories do you need? Alt, PS, AC comp?
Which intake are you running?
Do you have any obstacles to clear? (for example, a S10 can't use f-body accessories because the steering box is where the alternator goes)
Which balancer do you have?

My LQ4 is sporting a full set of C5 accessories with the exception of the AC compressor, which is a project I haven't got to yet (needs to mount up high on pass side). To run C5 access, I swapped to an LS2 waterpump (LS1 would also work), and an LS6 balancer (any C5 balancer would have worked, I scored one for cheap off of a crate motor that was running f-body access). I've got a 145 amp truck alternator mounted to the C5 bracket, but it wasn't a bolt-up affair. I ended up making a custom adapter to make it fit because the hole centers on the alternators are different by 1/2 a hole diameter (there are times I honestly believe GM engineers work hard to make things IMPOSSIBLE). I picked up most all of the parts either used or for a good deal. I think I've got about $400 in the setup. $150 for a used PS pump, bracket, and reservoir, $50 for the alternator, $90 for the LS2 waterpump, $40 for the balancer, and some $$$ for a belt and tensioner.

Hope that helps.

'JustDreamin'
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

It is going into a 1990 300ZX Z32. I need to have all the accessories, A/C, P/S and Alternator. My Dry-Sump pump is where the A/C was. My crank pully was made for F-Body accessories so I'm kinda limited. This is what it looks like.

I'm planning on using the LS2 intake on top of my LQ4 so it's kind of a hybrid motor. Luckly the Z32 has a bit of room. Here are a couple pics of the stock LS1 accessories on the driver side and pass side.

I don't care how the accessories are arranged but the tighter to the engine the better.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Launching!

Do you want to keep your ac? You can make the brackets I made for my car and use different length spacers. If you don't want ac it should be very easy to do.

Do you have the original LQ4 alt/p.s. bracket? If you do, you can use that and the drawing I have for the alternator bracket and make a bracket to work with the f-body crank pulley. I don't know how much more the truck accessories extend from the front of the engine vs. the f-body accessories. I can use the f-body water pump with these brackets. The compressor is from a 96 vette and the tensioner is from Dayco. They have a .pdf file on their website with all of the different tensioners they offer. PM me and I will send the drawings. It will give you a place to start if you want to make your own brackets.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Or you can do what I did...Use the Fbody balancer...run an Fbody water pump...use a corvette PS and ALT bracket/acc and just use spacers to space it out the 3/4" to align to the fbody balancer. Then you can get a high mount a/c setup (make your own or buy it from S&P) Works great!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, I got a question....

Looking at the pictures you provided, I can't tell if the f-body alternator clears the chassis. Does it clear? Or do you need a high mount alternator?

And as far as a high mount AC setup is concerned you've got pretty much 2 solutions:
1.) High $$$ solution from S & P or some other vendor.
2.) Fabricate your own to suit.

'JustDreamin'
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

i've just finished sorting the are dry sump to my ls1 for my kit car, had similar problems with brackets etc.
mine is also an ATI super damper, which drives the ARE scavenge pump from the back pulley like yours via a toothed belt. mounted that scavenge pump on a stock 2004 C5 power steering bracket which sat ok with a custom made adaptor to hold the ARE dry sump pump onto the stock vette p/s bracket.

alternator bracket was a stock camaro ss 2000 ls1 bracket which was all i had, i then had 22mm machined out of it on the 3 back faces to allow it to mount closer to the block. i had to slightly relieve the alloy on the back side of the alt bracket to allow the alternator to tuck in. i also had a problem then with the drive belt being short, ended up using a 6PK1324mm 6 rib belt. i used a stock tensioner for the ls1 high up on the left hand to tension this belt around the water pump. (no idlers used)
looks quite neat and not expensive for brackets, p/s cost me $66 shipped off ebay (nook&tranny). they also supplied the stock tensioner. have some pics if of any help?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 76LQ9TA
-Do you want to keep your ac? You can make the brackets I made for my car and use different length spacers. If you don't want ac it should be very easy to do.
-Do you have the original LQ4 alt/p.s. bracket? If you do, you can use that and the drawing I have for the alternator bracket and make a bracket to work with the f-body crank pulley.
-PM me and I will send the drawings. It will give you a place to start if you want to make your own brackets.
-Yes, A/C is a must!
-Yes I have the original big bracket thing that bolts up to the block but no accessories.
-PM Sent

Originally Posted by Jhankinson
Or you can do what I did...Use the Fbody balancer...run an Fbody water pump...use a corvette PS and ALT bracket/acc and just use spacers to space it out the 3/4" to align to the fbody balancer. Then you can get a high mount a/c setup (make your own or buy it from S&P) Works great!
I'm looking at that A/C mount you're talking about, it's a lot better (money wise) to get that instead of a whole setup.

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Looking at the pictures you provided, I can't tell if the f-body alternator clears the chassis. Does it clear? Or do you need a high mount alternator?

'JustDreamin'
The F-Body accesories clear with a little space on each side.

Originally Posted by chris-m
i've just finished sorting the are dry sump to my ls1 for my kit car, had similar problems with brackets etc.
mine is also an ATI super damper, which drives the ARE scavenge pump from the back pulley like yours via a toothed belt. mounted that scavenge pump on a stock 2004 C5 power steering bracket which sat ok with a custom made adaptor to hold the ARE dry sump pump onto the stock vette p/s bracket.

alternator bracket was a stock camaro ss 2000 ls1 bracket which was all i had, i then had 22mm machined out of it on the 3 back faces to allow it to mount closer to the block. i had to slightly relieve the alloy on the back side of the alt bracket to allow the alternator to tuck in. i also had a problem then with the drive belt being short, ended up using a 6PK1324mm 6 rib belt. i used a stock tensioner for the ls1 high up on the left hand to tension this belt around the water pump. (no idlers used)
looks quite neat and not expensive for brackets, p/s cost me $66 shipped off ebay (nook&tranny). they also supplied the stock tensioner. have some pics if of any help?
Post up some pics, that sounds like a pretty trick setup!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you use an a/c setup like the one in this link? It goes with f-body accessories. I have an extra f-body waterpump, if it will help you, I will sellit to you cheap.
http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/12165
Old 07-13-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

how far are u along in ur swap???? i've started two years ago and just now getting back around to working on it...i pretty much got no firewall now...and the motor mount i built ish not allowing me to install the ac comp...so imma have to redo the mount...prob build a plate similar to s&p...mine should be ready to start within 2 weeks...

Quick Reply: Accessory Drives