New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question re: lowering compression ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question re: lowering compression ratio?

Do I understand correctly that to run nitrous, or a supercharger, one has to lower the compression ration of a stock LS1? If so, can someone give me an idea has to what has to be done to lower the compression ratio, thicker head gasket, different pistons?

Thanks, Ed
Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since no one else has answered i will give it a shot, and keep in mind im not an expert on forced induction

no you dont necessarily have to lower compression when running a super/turbo charger, but if you want to make some good power its a good idea to lower compression by either getting dished pistons or heads with more chamber volume. but some people have had great luck by not doing any of the above and running it on stock internals

and nitrous is fine on higher compression
Old 07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like said above, you can run mild boost (turbo or blower) with the stock compression ratio.....but if you want to run more higher boost levels you'll need dished pistons (forged). Bigger combustion chamber heads will also lower compression, but forged pistons are a must with big boost. Do some reading in the forced induction section on this site, there's a wealth of good information there.

Nitrous is a whole different (and my preferred) ballgame, the more compression the better. Again, the nitrous section here has everything you'll want to know.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EdwardsSS
Do I understand correctly that to run nitrous, or a supercharger, one has to lower the compression ration of a stock LS1? If so, can someone give me an idea has to what has to be done to lower the compression ratio, thicker head gasket, different pistons?

Thanks, Ed

it all depends on what ur planning on doing and what power u want, but as to just answering ur ?, dish pistons, larger cc volume on ur heads and u can run thicker gaskets and WELCOME to LS1TECH, and where in Minnsota are u from i am in school right now in Arizona, but 4 months left and i will be moving back to New Prague, if u know where that is....so hit me back
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start by looking for larger combustion chamber heads first. AFR probably has something that will work. I have an LS1/4L60E to transplant in to a 1st Gen Nova this winter...if I can get rid of some other stuff first. My long term goal is to have something like a Procharger under a stock hood.

00TurboTA, I'm located in Ramsey...northwest suburbs between Anoka and Elk River. Where in AZ are you? I visited my bro in Surprise in late May/early June, and brought home a '63 Nova SS hardtop. I have an aunt in Strawberry, AZ, and a nephew going to school in Prescott. AZ is a nice state, car friendly, nice scenery too.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00TurboTA
it all depends on what ur planning on doing and what power u want, but as to just answering ur ?, dish pistons, larger cc volume on ur heads and u can run thicker gaskets and WELCOME to LS1TECH, and where in Minnsota are u from i am in school right now in Arizona, but 4 months left and i will be moving back to New Prague, if u know where that is....so hit me back

What part of AZ you in? I wouldn't mind seeing a STS ls1 run...the last one I saw could only push 4 lbs. because his fuel pump wasn't up to the task.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
What part of AZ you in? I wouldn't mind seeing a STS ls1 run...the last one I saw could only push 4 lbs. because his fuel pump wasn't up to the task.
well i am in the west valley of phoenix, in the glendale area, i can only push 6 psi right now so...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind lol. I would like to see that car run...but I'm like 4 1/2 hours away.