Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are the .006" and .200" specs of a cam not advertised?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are the .006" and .200" specs of a cam not advertised?

I'm trying to make a comprehensive spreadsheet(for my own research) but i need the data from all of these cams at their .006" and .200 Lift as well as the advertised .050" lift.

i've been unsucessful in finding this information for the vast majority of cams(possibly because this information is proprietary?) and was wondering if any of you could help me locate this data?...

I'd be happy to post up my excel sheet when it's complete.

Thanks fellas,
Jeff
Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ceissus
I'm trying to make a comprehensive spreadsheet(for my own research) but i need the data from all of these cams at their .006" and .200 Lift as well as the advertised .050" lift.

i've been unsucessful in finding this information for the vast majority of cams(possibly because this information is proprietary?) and was wondering if any of you could help me locate this data?...

I'd be happy to post up my excel sheet when it's complete.

Thanks fellas,
Jeff
It is an outdated sales strategy. The camshaft makers typically like to list the "advertised" duration of a camshaft to make it look bigger. The thought there being to sale more cams. But the real performance guy needs to know the duration at several lift points to help determine the lobe intensity and shape. Cam companies feel that us morons only look for the biggest numbers in the catalog to make or bump stick decisions. Anyway, that is why it is so difficult to find the numbers that you really need to make a good cam choice.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

What cams are you looking for specificly. Someone might have some cam cards laying around and have that info.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
It is an outdated sales strategy. The camshaft makers typically like to list the "advertised" duration of a camshaft to make it look bigger. The thought there being to sale more cams. But the real performance guy needs to know the duration at several lift points to help determine the lobe intensity and shape. Cam companies feel that us morons only look for the biggest numbers in the catalog to make or bump stick decisions. Anyway, that is why it is so difficult to find the numbers that you really need to make a good cam choice.
I think you have it a little backwards. Hes asking why cams are sold here using only .050 duration instead of using .006(also known as advertised duration) and .200

Kinda seems backwards in the LS1 world how cams arent advertised using advertised duration.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

You can get the info for Comp lobes off their website. Most cams use their lobes. For those that don't, just find the Comp lobe with similar lift and .050 duration. That should get you pretty close, as the laws of physics are the same for all the grinders.

I've attached a file with the ones I use in my sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
CamLobes.doc (85.0 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Gannet; 07-12-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Gannet, this helps a LOT

Quick Reply: why are the .006" and .200" specs of a cam not advertised?