New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 160Amp alternator -- now funky sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 160Amp alternator -- now funky sound?

Hey guys, so I just installed my new 160amp GM alternator. After installing it though, I'm getting a funky high-pitched sound when the engine is idling. I'm not sure if this is normal now that im pulling more amps or whatever. Its really just annoying. I'm wondering if I need to adjust my idle or something to get the sound gone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S.
The sound is not coming from the alternator. I crawled under the car and put my ear right next to it, but the sound does not come from there. When I pull the throttle cable to give the engine gas, the sound gets a little more high pitched, but then goes away around 1500-2000 rpm.

Thanks guys n gals!

-Erik
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm...it should make no noise at all. The noise is mechanical in nature, correct? I had an aftermarket 160 amp alternator in my car, and it was dead quiet until the morning it decided to die without warning, and it was still quiet after that...just wouldn't charge.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the noise is not coming from the alternator. Like I said, I had my head next to it and I didnt hear anything coming from it. But when I put my head by the airbox right in front of the engine i hear it. It's not a mechanical sound, it almost sounds like leaking air. It's like a really high pitched whistle.

But when I rev' the throttle up, the sound gets higher, then around 2k rpm it goes away... Doesnt get drowned out, it goes away...

-Erik

Last edited by circut; 07-12-2007 at 03:53 PM.