Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

people with prochargers/vortechs inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people with prochargers/vortechs inside

I was reading an article in the new muscle mustangs and turbo people of hastins, ny installed a turbo wastegate on the inlet side of a vortech car. the purpose of this was to enable the owner to pulley the car at 20psi which will cause the blower to spin faster and make more low end torque and power. the wastegate would open and keep the psi to a moderate level for the street. in the example it was 15psi. it allowed the vortech to make a power curve close to a turbo where as it flatlines at the max boost pressure. I found this neat as hell and was wondering if anybody on here has tried something like that???
Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not but that's very interesting, do u have a link for that article?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, pulleying only changes the slope of the boost line on a crank driven centri a small amount. You will never get a properly-sized turbo boost profile (like full boost at 3500-4000rpm) from a crank driven centri because it is linked to engine rpm.

I assume you mean the outlet side of the Vortech car, since a gate on the inlet side would do nothing.

Then the valve used would not be a wastegate, but a boost-referenced or computer controlled blow-off valve. I can see the appeal but hate the idea of doing work just to throw it away. Would have to be a MAP car too unless you fed the blowoff back into the inlet after the MAF. Check out the restrictor plate guys - it's easier and produces pretty much the same result. I don't like that idea either but that's just me.

I'd like to see the link too.

Jim