PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a Predator/other handheld fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will a Predator/other handheld fix this?

I am leaning toward getting Hooker LTs with the ORY. My car just had both cats replaced under warranty, so now that they are fresh and easy to remove, I wanna take them out and install the headers. Will a handheld programmer like Superchips, Predator, or HyperTech clear the codes for the rear 02's and take them out, or will it simply reset the code and then come back on again later?

My real problem is...do I spend $349 on a Predator, to give me an off the shelf tune, or do I pay $300 to have the 02's tuned out and then have the car dyno tuned at a local speed shop? I don't know what software they would use, I would suspect LS1Edit, based on the last time I was at their shop.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Predator will permanently delete rear 02's, air and egr codes. An off the shelf "fits all" tune isn't going to be as good as a dyno tune IMO. The Predator will read/clear other codes and give you the opportunity to read real time data though.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

awesome, thank you so much. I have been searching and couldn't find a straight forward answer.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use the Predator tune and delete the codes, or email me a copy of your stock file from the Predator and I can have a tune made to optimize the longtubes, that you can load to the Predator as a custom tune.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mike, do I need to buy the PC link cable for the Predator also then? What do you charge for your "custom" tune? I assume the Predator is designed for 93 octane? This is fine with me, but the car does see some drives to work, so I don't want a super crazy tune, just something that will maximize what gains I will get from the LT's, cat-back, and lid that I have now.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Launching!

You will need a cable(either a usb to 9 pin serial or a serial to serial) i got mine at best buy for $35.00,first i tried radio shack and they had one but the software for it was on a floppy and i dont have a floppy drive on my computer plus they were the same price. Mike did the tune for me and my car is running way better than before when i just had the regular predator tune in there,the car is a lot smoother, and a lot better throttle response, he did a great job!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT194CamaroZ
You will need a cable(either a usb to 9 pin serial or a serial to serial) i got mine at best buy for $35.00,first i tried radio shack and they had one but the software for it was on a floppy and i dont have a floppy drive on my computer plus they were the same price. Mike did the tune for me and my car is running way better than before when i just had the regular predator tune in there,the car is a lot smoother, and a lot better throttle response, he did a great job!
And just like that, you're a pro now!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
Mike, do I need to buy the PC link cable for the Predator also then? What do you charge for your "custom" tune? I assume the Predator is designed for 93 octane? This is fine with me, but the car does see some drives to work, so I don't want a super crazy tune, just something that will maximize what gains I will get from the LT's, cat-back, and lid that I have now.
No charge for the tune.
Email me the file at mlitsch@diablosport.com and we'll whip you up a nice, safe tune.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm...the words I am looking for are...HELL and YEAH!