Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobish suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobish suspension question

Sup guys just started posting yesterday and I have a question already. Is it stock or normal for the rear end to sit higher than the front end? Its not a big deal but its been buggin me cuz it just doesnt look even and I like my stuff even. Im gonna get bigger rims to close the gaps between the tire and wheel wells but I wanna try to lower the back end to bring it even w/ the front. The car came like this so I dont know exactly all of what was done to it before it got to me. Thanks!
rear
front
Both
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

These cars came from the factory sitting a little higher in the rear than the front. I've bought two of them brand new, so I'm very familiar with how they looked right off the assmebly line.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Try the "Hose Mod" on the rear springs. Remove the Upper spring isolator, and replace with a 1 inch (I think?) heater hose pushed onto the first upper coil. I'm not sure how far that will lower the rear, but that may work. Or spend some money and get Strano springs and Bilstein revalves or Koni SA's (4th gen)
Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hose mod evens it out a little, but i would wait til you put your irms and tires you wat on there, then decide if it needs to be dropped in the rear. fIRST SEE HOW THEY LOOK, I HAVE THE HOSE MOD ON BACK OF MINE RIGHT NOW, AND HONESTLY, DIDN'T CHANGE MUCH imo!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ah cool so its normal, I appreciate the feedback guys. I'll look into those mods you mentioned to level it off. Quick question tho... when you guys put rims goin from 2-4 inches larger than stock do you have to lower the body to maintain normal clearance? Or does the thinner tires take care of that?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How big are you looking to go? Most people stick with 17's or 18's. And if your going with a bigger tire you will have to do some modding to the bump stops.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Also, you start to become limited on tire width with bigger wheels...
17's (such as the SS wheels) allow 275 (front and rear) up to 315 (for the rear with 11 inch wheel width).
18's I generally see 245's, especially front, but I think I've seen 275's for the rears.
As for anything bigger than 18's, I haven't a clue. Maybe someone can chime in with their perspective?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Intense
How big are you looking to go? Most people stick with 17's or 18's. And if your going with a bigger tire you will have to do some modding to the bump stops.
I was kinda plannin between the 18-19" range cuz 20's start to turn my car into a thief's wet dream. Not to mention they are climbing to the peak of my budget range. With these rims Im just goin for style and show. I would like to keep an effective gripping for the take off but im not really VERY concerned about width because I dont hit the track very often where fractions of a second really count. If I change my mind on that someday I'll just have to pick up some DR's just for that.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

I would do 18's then, anything bigger looks a bit tacky, especially without larger brakes. But, that's just my opinion, and what's that saying...