Need some input/advice on an isurance claim.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input/advice on an isurance claim.

My girlfriend got into a car accident on Father's Day, June 17th. The insurance company picked it up that day. They informed her that the car would be ready within a week. We were pleased about that.

The week went by and said that there was some more trouble that they ran into and that it would be ready the following week. That week goes by and they stated that it took longer than expected and should be ready in a few days.

Those few days went by and the same thing. The actually called for the first time this morning stating it would be ready today at 3:00 pm. She calls them back at 3:30 pm since she hadn't heard from them and what do you know...it won't be ready till Monday!

I am furious and its not even my car. She has been stuck at my house, with nothing to do, no where to go, and missed a day of work already. I know its only one day, but she is off for the month. The first week she was struggling to get to work because she had no car.

What can be done? Reimbursement for time or rental? She rented a car for like 10 days and it ended up costing her like almost $300! If they had sticked to what they told her on the time, then she wouldn't have been out of a car. She wouldn't even had to rent a car if it was only a week. She rented after the week was up.

This is an outrage. Absolute bullshit. This is unacceptable. There must be something that can be done. Its been 26 days today. On monday, it'll be 1 day shy of a month.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tell them you will not pay for the 300 the rental car cost her, if they give you any **** take them to small claims court, cause im sure the judge will side with you, that is bull ****! I know most shops charge you if you leave your car with them after they fix it, so there is no reason why they shouldnt reimburse you if they're late giving you your car back.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Teching In

I don't know if this matters or not, but she went through Enterprise and set it up through her insurance company. She did it this way to get a "discount." Not much of a discount if you ask me. We dropped it off already and she paid it for it.

She didn't/doesn't have car rental insurance, so she had to get it on her own. She went a week without a car because she was told that it was going to be done by then. Now she had to get one and keep it for 10 days. Its just a few days away from a month they've had it.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

Who was at fault ? Did anyone get a citation ? Did she have rental reimbursement ? ( A word to the wise , ALWAYS , yes I said ALWAYS , first & foremost , in any & all car accidents , call an attorney . ) The time has come & now is to where if you aren't represented by an attorney you WILL be fucked , by , the wrecker who does further damage to you car~by the body shop who ***** up your car~by the rental place that will try to rape you~and last but not least yours or their insurance co. All the odds are stacked against you even if it wasn't your fault. Do some research before the time comes & find one of the few really good & half-*** honest lawyer or you'll get fucked again , comin & goin . This is the sorry state of affairs we have come to in this country but hey , its your *** hangin out there .
Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

There wasn't another car involved. It was raining that day and she hydroplaned and lost control. It was over $5000 in damages and I told her to tell them to total it out because the car was only worth like $6000. They wouldn't because the cost of the damages didn't exceed the value of the car. She didn't receive a citation. She didn't have the insurance option for rentals, but her company supposedly got her a discount on the rates.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Teching In

We're keeping our fingers crossed because she is suppose to pick it up tomorrow. Are we **** out of luck or is there something that can be done about this?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

if a shop has the car then there nothing that can be done. have you been talking to the shop or your insurance co?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Insurance company.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

$5000 damage is nothing to sneeze at. Question though, why are you not talking to the shop? Im sure you could get a better answer from them.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Sure, the damages didn't exceed the value of the car, but why wouldn't they total it? Who's decision is it ultimately? Does the owner of the vehicle even have a say so?

I know its only $5000 in damages, but she would rather have the money towards a new car rather than a previously wrecked vehicle.

I was just looking for answers here, maybe someone has been in the same situation and could assist us.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

wow they didnt total it! I thought it was 75% of the coast of the car is when they total. But other then talking to the adjuster I think you have no say in if they total it or not. And that works both ways. There have been people on here that have ins company's total there care and they tried to fight them to fix it.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure on the details/facts on that, but it was definitely 75% the value of the car.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

GET A LAWYER ! Rule number one , ALWAYS GET A LAWYER ! The insurance companies have a vested interest in giving up the lest amount of pennies and they have a battery of lawyers on retainer to look out for their best interest in these matters. Shouldn't you have a professional representing your best interest too ? If they could they would just ignore you altogether
Old 07-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Teching In

We finally got the car on Monday, but they forgot to install the passenger side wheel cover. They ordered it that day and got it in the following day suprisingly. The damages ended up being over $6000! I was pissed because they should of just totaled the damn thing. Again, the car was only worth that much. Plus it had frame work done and I figured that alone would of totaled it. Bullshit!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

i may have missed it...who is the insurance company?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Progressive.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98 TA
Progressive.

Wow, they are usually pretty good about that stuff. What kind of car/mileage are we talking about?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Teching In

64,000 miles.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Ok, first of all if there is a problem with the amount of time the repairs took, it is the SHOP'S fault, not your insurance company. YOU picked the shop, not your insurance company. Your insurance company has nothing to do with this. You should be bitching at the body shop. Insurance companies do not repair vehicles.

Secondly, it sounds like this was a collision claim. Your girlfriend lost control and hit something. Unless she has rental reimbursement, she would NOT be eligible for a rental or loss of use.

Lastly, to the guy who was whining about getting an attorney: ATTORNEYS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIMS! There isn't any money to be made.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the vehicle being totalled vs repaired; What probably happened is that the initial estimate came in and did not exceed the total loss threshold, so the shop was given the nod (by the insurance company) to begin repairs. Once they tore it down and discovered further damage, they supplemented the insurance company (supplement payment). It sounds like this happened a few times, hence the numerous delays. Again, THIS IS YOUR SHOPS FAULT. I am of the opinion that sometimes this is done intentionally. A shop will not make any money on a total loss. If they can supplement the **** out of the insurance company they are making money on the repairs. You are misinformed and you should be angry at the shop, not Progressive.

Last edited by QUICK305; 07-22-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 TA
Progressive.

there's you biggest problem right there. Our shop won't even accept jobs if Progressive is the insuarnce carrier.

Did she pick the shop or did Progressive tell her to take it to one of thir recommended shops? In Texas you have the right to take the vehicle to the shop of your choice. What was the estimate written for, what type of damages did teh car have? What year make and model was the vehicle?
Too many details left out of your story. Did she ever go by the shop to check on repairs?

It does sound like it took too long, but it does happen that some parts are on backorder forever and that's not the shops fault.

Z ROADSTER - you have no idea what you are talking about........ "get a lawyer for any accident" this is the reason the justice system is all jacked up.
Who's she going to sue?? God because he made it rain......