PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will EFILIVE work well with 2000 gmc truck w/5.3??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will EFILIVE work well with 2000 gmc truck w/5.3??

Hello, I've tried searching for an answer before I posted, but I didn't find anything conclusive. I have a 2000 GMC truck with a 5.3 and 4l60E. I haven't purchased EFILIVE yet, because I wasn't sure how well it would work with my truck. I've heard that the 5.3 is derived from the 5.7 LS1, but I wasn't too sure about the computer and sensors.

Any information about using EFILIVE with my truck would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. This is one of the best forums I've been to so far, with friendly and knowledgable people.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Default Re: Will EFILIVE work well with 2000 gmc truck w/5.3??

First, Welcome to the site.

This is a timely topic because I just found out the answer earlier this evening. I lost my ATAP cable a while back and just got EFILIVE to replace it.

I also have a 2000 5.3L 4L60E truck and EFILIVE works just fine. I was used to ATAP so the different interface is taking some getting used to but, it looks like EFILIVE is a little nicer than ATAP.

I might not be able to answer any specific questions about it because I am just starting to learn it but, if you have any other truck questions post'em up in the truck section. There is a pretty good group in there.

John "XLR8NSS"

Truck Forums Director
Old 05-13-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may want to check out EFILive's website and forum (which just recently started up), and maybe post your question(s) there as well...

EFILive is much nicer and more powerful...

Old 05-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info folks.....
I think I'll go ahead and get it, but I'll post on the EFILIVE forum first.

Thanks again..
Old 05-13-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

myself and another guy here from the forum used it on our trucks 00 and 01, we didnt get to much into it since we have bi directional, but basic functions do seem to work.

i'm curious as to when i should look up the tc when doing down the 1/4..
Old 05-14-2003, 12:54 AM
Teching In

I posted on efilive's forum, and this is what one of the Moderators (Paul) told me:

EFILiveV5 is officially only supported for use on the LS1 powertrain PCMs. We have restricted our official support to the LS1 because it is the only powertrain on which we have conducted the appropriate testing. Some of the enhanced features are specific to the PCM used to control the LS1 powertrain.

There are some general purpose scan tool features that will work on ALL GM vehicles. They are:
- Generic PID data logging.
- Displayig trouble codes.
- Clearing Trouble codes.
- Displaying EPA test status and results.
- Displaying O2 sensor test results.

That being said, there are only minor differences between the LS1 systems and the non-LS1 systems. The differences that may affect you when using EFILiveV5 on your Truck are:

Some PIDs (parameters) may or may not be available, you can use EFILiveV5 to query the PCM to determine which PIDs are supported and which are not.

Some PIDs may be scaled incorrectly - however, you can alter the scaling of any PID from within EFILiveV5 if required.

The high-speed data logging (10 frames per second with up to 24 PIDs per frame) may not be available on your truck. However you can use any of the other 3 scan modes.

The bi-directional controls may not function correctly - we advise against using them on powertrains other than the LS1.

Now for the good news:
We are currently working on full GM support for EFILiveV6, that means ALL OBDII equipped GM vehicles.
If you purchase EFILiveV5 you may upgrade free of charge to EFILiveV6 when it is available.
It is scheduled for release in July 2003.
Bi-directional controls in EFILiveV6 will still be limited to LS1 powertrains.

Regards
Paul
Old 05-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Now for the good news:
We are currently working on full GM support for EFILiveV6, that means ALL OBDII equipped GM vehicles.
If you purchase EFILiveV5 you may upgrade free of charge to EFILiveV6 when it is available.
It is scheduled for release in July 2003.
Bi-directional controls in EFILiveV6 will still be limited to LS1 powertrains.

Regards
Paul
he told me the same. Thats nice since I didn't even know when I bought it. Now if they just get it out b4 my upgrades expire.....
Old 05-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I tried out the idle speed bi-directional control on my truck and it worked fine. I didn't try anything else though. The only other one I might try is the torque converter lockup feature. That would come in handy on the dyno to get locked numbers.

I have only used it once but, I already like EFILIVE better than ATAP. The chart page is very nice when viewing logged files.

John
Old 05-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Restricted User

he told me the same. Thats nice since I didn't even know when I bought it. Now if they just get it out b4 my upgrades expire.....
There is no time limit on upgrading from V5 to V6.
If you buy EFILiveV5 then you may upgrade to EFILiveV6 when it is available - free.

Paul
Old 05-16-2003, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I wanted to know is there any way to get a better et using efilive. like altering something and racing while altered? like tcc or a/f ratio stuff like that?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I wanted to know is there any way to get a better et using efilive. like altering something and racing while altered? like tcc or a/f ratio stuff like that?
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but from what I've figured out so far about efilive, you can override the fuel and spark maps but the update speed is not fast enough to really help. Not as much as actually flashing the parameters to the pcm. I think that the parameters stay on the computer and efilive has to send them each transmit/recieve cycle.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The purpose of EFILive is for monitoring your engine and transmission (if you got an A4), and then using something like LS1edit to make changes.

Quick Reply: Will EFILIVE work well with 2000 gmc truck w/5.3??