New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First few mods were the easy ones...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Thumbs up First few mods were the easy ones...

...and seemed to get a decent bang for the buck as well...

Bought my 2000 SS Camaro about 3 weeks ago and before it was even tagged, it received an SLP lid along with the free ram air mod. I also made a throttle body bypass for it and ported the throttle body myself.

Yesterday, I got my Vinci handheld programmer and it seems to work great with my minor mods. Also, very easy to use.

Today after work, I installed my used Borla adjustable catback and it is/was by far the easiest exhaust I think I have ever installed. I bought it used, but since it is made of t-304 stainless steel, it is in great shape. For the fellow newbies, the adjustable part means that the right tailpipe has 4 different plates that can be installed, each one diverts a different amount of exhaust through the muffler. and one makes the exhaust basically a big, expensive cut-out, lol. I decided to run the 1/2 block plate since I also have some JetHot longtubes and off road Y pipe, so I'll probably use the smallest plate to make most if not all of the exhaust go through the muffler, and maybe an electric cutout on the right tailpipe.

As an "old school" Chevy guy, turned Mustang 5.0 guy for 10 years, it's a pleasure to come back to a car as responsive to mods as this one is. I had some WOT detonation, or pinging, and I was able to easily eliminate it with the tuner, and with another quick change every WOT 2nd gear shift slides the car sideways...which is always fun...even on an A4 car

Also got my first "kill"...

After today's exhaust install, I had to take it for a drive and check it out, and had a new Hemi Charger SRT8 try his luck. That thing actually ran very well. I "tree'd" him by about 3-4 cars lengths and he never did get any closer....but I was barely, and I mean only barely, pulling away at that point....Can't wait for the longtubes!!! and maybe a little whiff of giggle gas....

Just thought I'd share...

Last edited by rel3rd; 07-14-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice pick. Glad to see a ford guy get back on track.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

5.0 are fine cars, but I guarantee that the performance potential of the LS1 will just keep surprising you!

It is kind of strange that changing out the exhaust on these cars is simple compared to changing the spark plugs.

I'm in the process of making that head first dive into nitrous and can't wait to finally get everything hooked up!

I am cunfused though. You said you ran the quieter setup on your cat back because you have JetHots, but then at the end of your post you said you can't wait for long tubes...
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28

I am cunfused though. You said you ran the quieter setup on your cat back because you have JetHots, but then at the end of your post you said you can't wait for long tubes...
Sorry...Right now, I still have stock manifolds and stock front Y...just the Borla catback.

I do have the JetHot longtubes and off road Y, but they are not installed yet.

I bought the complete exhaust setup from a local guy who had outgrown it with his F body. Figured I'd at least have some exhaust tone until the headers go on...

Since I know the headers and off road will up the volume level much moreso then it is today, I figure I'll run through the muffler at that time to make it sensible for the neighbors, lol...flip the cutout switch on those special occasions...wink/wink.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

5.0 are fine cars, but I guarantee that the performance potential of the LS1 will just keep surprising you!
No doubt. I have had a few decent ones over the last 10 years. From a low 10 second blower car, to a magazine feature car, to a stock cammed low 12 second NA car...Got bored though, so here I am, lol.

http://home.comcast.net/~novishadow/...tos.html-.html
Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rel3rd
No doubt. I have had a few decent ones over the last 10 years. From a low 10 second blower car, to a magazine feature car, to a stock cammed low 12 second NA car...Got bored though, so here I am, lol.

http://home.comcast.net/~novishadow/...tos.html-.html
Some nice cars right there! That Yellow SN95 looks SICK!!!

Also like the 'vert. My buddy in college had a 306 '91 GT 'vert (black) and at the time it was the quickest (and still one of the top quickest) car I've ever been in.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

That yellow cobra looks good lol
Old 07-14-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. That's the one that earned a 5 page feature in November 2004 5.0 magazine.

You know how there's always one you should have hung on to?
well...That was it...

The purple one was the baddest....
http://home.comcast.net/~rel3rd/Barneyvslane.mpg

The yellow one was the sweetest....
http://home.comcast.net/~rel3rd/BobSeanNATS-001-01.mpeg

The white one was the slowest/cheapest....
http://home.comcast.net/~rel3rd/My_1st_Movie.wmv

The black one (Vert) was friggin cursed...lol
Old 07-14-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

whats up man! Welcome to the wonderful world of LS1's. I have the issue with your yellow SN95 car! you have had some sick foxes and that SN95 is so bad ***! good to have another guy on here who can appreciate the great rides offered by Ford and Chevy, I was the same way, had 3 mustangs and I now I am on my 3rd F-body, but I will own a stang again one day for sure......
Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Welcome, nice stangs.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

It is kind of strange that changing out the exhaust on these cars is simple compared to changing the spark plugs.

I'm in the process of making that head first dive into nitrous and can't wait to finally get everything hooked up!

Not sure how much easier it is INSTALLING exhaust is, but taking the stock dual dual off my car was a pain in the ***.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
Not sure how much easier it is INSTALLING exhaust is, but taking the stock dual dual off my car was a pain in the ***.
DeWalt reciprocating saw made short work of mine....(not dual/dual though)
Old 07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vinci must firm up shifts nicely. My WOT 1-2 shift won't send the car sideways on dry pavement with an A4. Congrats on the car