Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about EFI live, whats involved$

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about EFI live, whats involved$

I need to have a re-tune for the 3rd time in 6 months and am thinking about buying efilive instead of shelling out another $450-600 for a tune. How much is my initial investment? and is it wise to do? I'm going to the z06 maf so it will be extra for the dynotune and I'm thinking theres got to be a cheaper way.. or maybe not? what about a/f? I dont see anthing mentioned about it on the V2 stuff?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol i bought mine after the 2nd bad tune.
you will need a wideband and a laptop.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFILive is one the best investments you can make. Check out www.efilive.com and their forum for more product info. You can also call Chad at www.greenlightmotorsports.com
Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Its not that I got bad tunes is just I've changed my setup 3 times and needed re-tuning. Dont they have a handheld interface tool so I dont need a laptop? What do I need for a wideband? I dont want to drop another arm and a leg here. I looked at the website and from what I saw $750 plus a wideband is what I need?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they still have a sellout on the older version for cheaper. I got mine from Chad and I have hasseled him (just kidding) on the phone several times with questions and always gotten very intelligent responses and he even calls back if he doesnt ans.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Banned

I dont have a laptop though so the v2 with the hand held is my option, the roadrunner thing is 500. I'll call Chad Monday and see what he says. I'll need a wideband so thats another 250-350 depending on what I get. Dynotune has a deal I think.

Cant I use this wideband?http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=149
will that allow me to do all I need to tune with the v.2?

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 07-14-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The handled stuff isn't released yet. But it is very close. Watch the EFI LIVE Forum for details
Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by macca_779
The handled stuff isn't released yet.
What are you talking about? handled stuff? I'm confused

Ahhthink I found it:

Scheduled Enhancements (not included in the initial V2 release)
2 Bar Custom Operating Systems for E40 applications are currently in Beta test. It is expected that this functionality will be released within weeks of the initial release.
Support for other Gen IV engines and transmissions, including LS7, E38, E67 and T43 are currently in development and will be available in future EFILive software releases. Other engines within the Gen IV family will be added over time.
LBZ Scanning and Tuning:
LBZ scanning support is scheduled as the first update to FlashScan V2.
LBZ Tuning will follow shortly after.
Standalone black box logging to SD memory card.
Standalone reading and flashing of ECM’s.
Standalone scanning/logging of data to LCD screen.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 AM
FormerVendor

just buy this package deal, you wont find a better price on everything you need!

http://www.greenlightmotorsports.com...products_id=91
Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

well when you get this software you deff. will need someone who's familiar with it to help you out
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
EFILive is one the best investments you can make. Check out www.efilive.com and their forum for more product info. You can also call Chad at www.greenlightmotorsports.com
I agree Chad has been a huge help as well as TAQ and others in my quest for learning and tuning.

You got to be able to put in the time to read and research a bit as well.

Hit the tutorials before you buy and see if its something your willing to learn and try.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sound like this Combo would suite your needs.

http://www.greenlightmotorsports.com...rt.php?sort=2a

For the time being, you still need a laptop for tuning, but you can find one that will work great with EFILive on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. You don't need a much of a laptop to run the software on.

Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Teching In

All you need is the V2 and LC1 kit. Look at Kbracing96 sig. I bought the same thing from them. Very good deal and works great. Just hit the tutorials and go, plus the AutoVe rocks. Very helpful for newbies like myself.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

how good is the instruction manual? Does it tell you what to adjust after you do a few mods? I'm going to different heads and a ported intake and bigger cam and z06 MAF. Will the manual instruct me as to all the perameters I now need to adjust and look at ? thank you Dennis 93, I thought all I would need would be the lc1 if I get the v2 w/hand held interface. Still A lot of money how ever.

I know the tune will run around 5-600 due to the new MAF, The guy who tunes it does an outstanding job and my car runs smooth as silk no matter what the cam size when he's done. But this will put me at $1500 with him for tuning in the past 7 months.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not just do all of your mods at once THEN tune it?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
how good is the instruction manual? Does it tell you what to adjust after you do a few mods? I'm going to different heads and a ported intake and bigger cam and z06 MAF. Will the manual instruct me as to all the perameters I now need to adjust and look at ? thank you Dennis 93, I thought all I would need would be the lc1 if I get the v2 w/hand held interface. Still A lot of money how ever.

I know the tune will run around 5-600 due to the new MAF, The guy who tunes it does an outstanding job and my car runs smooth as silk no matter what the cam size when he's done. But this will put me at $1500 with him for tuning in the past 7 months.
EFILive does not tell you how to tune. They are in the business of supplying you with the tools to do it, not to tell you how to do it. The tutorials, mostly tell you how to use the software and the scanner, not what to change for your mods. (Sears doesn't tell you how to fix your car when you buy a set of tools from them do they?)

You will need to read up on the stickys up top here and do some searching on the subjects you want to know about and ask questions.

You can download the software here for free and see what your getting into. All of the tutorials EFILive has are also listed on the bottom of that page and also in the help section of the scanner and the editor.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

He was telling you the "handheld" stuff is not out yet, but will be soon.

You still need a PC to edit your tune...

When the handheld stuff is finished, you would do this:
- read your PCM's tune into the handheld;
- goto a PC, upload tune from handheld to PC;
- use software on PC to edit tune;
- download edited tune from PC to handheld;
- go back to vehicle, and write tune from handheld to PCM;
- test drive, logging onto handheld;
- goto PC and upload log from handheld to PC;
- use software to analyze log and edit tune.

You can test drive the actual software (browse/edit the sample tunes) from here:
http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx

Edit: KB beat me to it with the links...

There are user manuals and tutorials:
http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads6

And this forum and the EFILive forum contain TONS of tuning how-to and information;
there's many-many people on these forums who are happy to answer your tuning questions.

The thing is, tho, there is a learning curve to it, but it is well worth it, you won't have any regrets.

Keep an eye out for the handheld mode being released soon (it involves a software and firmware upgrade; all software/firmware upgrades are free).

Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shoemike
why not just do all of your mods at once THEN tune it?
3 different setups., 3 different tunes
Old 07-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kbracing96
. (Sears doesn't tell you how to fix your car when you buy a set of tools from them do they?)
No but turning a wrench or having mechanical ability is easy to figure out. You can either turn a wrnech or you cant and you know yourself if you have the ablility. Software and tuning is different and a lot more technical.

I can interact with any database, or software given a manual but knowing what to look at and adjust isnt something your born with.

Snap On tools arent a waste of money in my hands but expensive Tuning Software is a whole different animal. Interface isnt an issue I can run anything, but the whole diagnose and adjust thing is a new can o worms. Then you have the learning curve and I have to be patient enough to get over it. Good advice here thanx guys
Old 07-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Teching In

I'm new to this tunning stuff, i had a 93 t/a and i tried it and said no way i will ever learn. Now with the ls1 car I knew that i would be in the same boat as you(different setups as i go) so i invested after reading all the info i could find about tuning. With this program i believe it is alot easier than the software i was using before. There are plenty of people to help you along the way. just post your tune and datalog and people will comment on it. Plus most all the tables will tell you what you are messing with, like "if you change this it effects this" "this will do this when this is met". Just my outlook on it.

This is what helped me make my decision:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html