Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bad News -need input-

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad News -need input-

OK, so i was doing some late night tuning, and the engine threw the serpentine belt, needless to say I rolled to a stop and the engine boiled over. So since i was 4km from home, I get some tools put the belt on and drive home, engine running rough and doesn't want to rev past 2500, but runs smooth at 1500??? OK, so I have no white smoke, engine runs like a bag of **** at 2500, and it kinda feels like my clutch is damaged.

For some strange reason, I did not get a datalog on the last pull??? It just didn't record???

I am assuming head gaskets are gone, but wanted some advice as what else I can check and how (before I pull the heads)...
Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt think you would have done any MAJOR damage, by blowing your serpentine belt off and then rolling to a stop.... It really depends onthe time frame between belt loss and engine cutoff....
Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Give it a few miles before you get too worried. I've overheated mine and it acted weird for a bit.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Second Club

you might be burning coolant that's why its running crappy
Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

check to see if the belt knocked some other stuff loose like.. plug wire for example
Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

Pretty sure it's head gaskets. Coolant level was lower after I went for a small drive. Well time to tear it down I guess - Damn, it sure would be nice to drive this thing, and not always work on it!

MM - I checked, and it doesn't seem the belt knocked anything lose - but thanks anyway.

P.S. The PCV blows out alot of very low pressure air, I hope it is normal and not a serious case of bad rings / blowby... I had it fed into the intake side of the turbo on my last setup. On this setup I had it just breathing to atmosphere until I found a place for it - BUT - it was breathing oil (just a very very light misting at a time - not enough to see by looking at it - but after driving for 45min I guess it was enough) right on the water pump near the belt - hence the belt slipping off. It is now routed into the exhaust through a tube that "should" make a suction.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default rad question?

Rad blows bubbles...damn it....

Before I squeeze a super large 2 core in with giant fans (not a big fan of changing head gaskets every day - pardon the pun), is there a better rad that will fit in the stock location that is a 2 core (no AC)?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

if it boiled over it 'may' take some time to burp all the air out..

i had an incident with both my and my gf's car this year where we pegg'd the temp gauge and both are fine. but both were just out of coolant as opposed to water pump not spinning.. not sure how different that is.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

MM - Thanks I'll give it a try, before I pull the heads, i'll drive around with the rad cap off to try and get all the air out, but it still runs rough around 2500 (that's when it blows bubbles, below that no bubbles and runs normal) - time to get out the chop saw and make room for some serious cooling!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

it took about a half an hour of running the car, turning it off, waiting etc. to get mine to settle down the last time.

you could however quickly do a cooling system test (the ones that can sense exhaust in the coolant; changes the test color)

boy i bet mine would sure peg the scale on that one.. heh

Quick Reply: Bad News -need input-