Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed cam, having problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed cam, having problems.

Installed my camshaft today. The install went well, and relatively fast. I also installed stronger valve springs and hardened pushrods. The problem is, the car runs like the timing is retarded. I know I have the timing right (gear marks don't lie). Idle is ok. But when you rev it, it sounds bogged down, and it accelerate a tad slower than the stocker cam I just removed. Is this because i'm running a stock tune, or did I just choose the wrong cam?
Any help is appreciated.

Cam specs:
The intake duration @ .050 is 224 & the exhaust @ .050 is 231.

The intake lobe lift is .340 & the exhaust is .346 which gives a 578 intake & 588 exhaust lift with stock 1.7 rocker ratio.

Advertised duration is 274 intake & 280 exhaust.

Also:
Long tube headers and a CAI. M6.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PEARL JAM
Installed my camshaft today. The install went well, and relatively fast. I also installed stronger valve springs and hardened pushrods. The problem is, the car runs like the timing is retarded. I know I have the timing right (gear marks don't lie). Idle is ok. But when you rev it, it sounds bogged down, and it accelerate a tad slower than the stocker cam I just removed. Is this because i'm running a stock tune, or did I just choose the wrong cam?
Any help is appreciated.

Cam specs:
The intake duration @ .050 is 224 & the exhaust @ .050 is 231.

The intake lobe lift is .340 & the exhaust is .346 which gives a 578 intake & 588 exhaust lift with stock 1.7 rocker ratio.

Advertised duration is 274 intake & 280 exhaust.

Also:
Long tube headers and a CAI. M6.
my guess would be the tune. its just not gettin enough air or gas.

btw kiss ur sig pic good bye...

WAY TO BIG!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1

btw kiss ur sig pic good bye...

WAY TO BIG!
Oops! I just noticed that, too!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:46 PM

that is a huge cam man but probally a tune causing you to bog like that
Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
that is a huge cam man but probally a tune causing you to bog like that
that cams not big at all compared to much larger cams as the ms4 and trex...shouldnt be too difficult to tune
Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Sooooo.....do you think the cam is ok for this motor, and all it needs is a tune to solve this? I would have thought it would at least run better with the cam, even on a stock tune??
Old 07-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should. That cam should not stumble like that.. what else did you change and disconnect during your sam swap? Does it sound like it's missing?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 AM

No miss, and everything is connected properly.
Other things I have changed were valve springs and pushrods. The pushrods are factory length.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

The stock tune is probably having a big effect on this.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 AM

Has anyone else had this problem after a cam swap?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

100% its the tune, assuming everything is installed correctly. You just changed a MAJOR component that controls your valve events, why would you expect it to run right on the stock tune? Get it tuned, asap. Until then, don't worry about how it drives.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the EXACT same boat as you. After my cam install which also included FAST Intake Manifold New TB Headers portedheads and ASP pulley runs like ***. especially if you haven;t driven it a coupe hundered miles yet...believe it or not but the stock computer will learn a decent amount of the new cam by itself (However a tune is an absolute must) I am getting mine tuned in about 2 weeks or so. I will let you know the results. Do make sure to double check everything to just make sure...mine ran so bad i check everything 3-4 times thinking something was wrong but now i KNOW it is right and i just need a tune. your cam is not a HUGE cam like so many others are running so it really shouldn;t run too bad without a tune so definatly make sure you double check spark plug wires and all sensors and connections
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TUNE! I did a heads and cam swap, and the car ran like crap. Wouldn't rev, hold idle.. i can go on. I wouldn't run her to long without one. Might end up hurting the motor..
Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Formula_Power
I am in the EXACT same boat as you. After my cam install which also included FAST Intake Manifold New TB Headers portedheads and ASP pulley runs like ***. especially if you haven;t driven it a coupe hundered miles yet...believe it or not but the stock computer will learn a decent amount of the new cam by itself (However a tune is an absolute must) I am getting mine tuned in about 2 weeks or so. I will let you know the results. Do make sure to double check everything to just make sure...mine ran so bad i check everything 3-4 times thinking something was wrong but now i KNOW it is right and i just need a tune. your cam is not a HUGE cam like so many others are running so it really shouldn;t run too bad without a tune so definatly make sure you double check spark plug wires and all sensors and connections
I've been hearing more and more that it's just in need of a tune, and I think that's right. It is starting to adapt and run a little better. I am confident of my work. Believe me, I have rechecked everything many times!!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does not sound tune related to me at all. You can swap cams with no tune and it should drive ok after a little bit. Id be double checking everything like plugs for cracks and wires and stupid stuff like that.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

So did you get it tuned yet. All better?

I am looking at next week before my tune i think