Drag Racing Tech - What else can I pull?

View Full Version : What else can I pull?

DOUBT IT
07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I've been going through and removing some more stuff from the car lately to lighten her up from my previous low weight of 3400 lbs. I still want to keep her reasonably safe, considering that I DO drive her on the street once a week or so.

I want to see if there's anything that I've missed. Here's the rundown of what I've pulled so far:

Pass. airbag & bracket
Spare tire, jack, and bracket
Air Conditioning (still have the rest of the heating stuff, for now)
All emissions crap (EGR, AIR)
Rear seats and belts
Factory headunit, Monsoon amp, and everything but the front two speakers
Sound deadening (all except for that crap against the firewall)
Front Bumper Cover
Front Sway Bar
All heat shielding under the car, and unnecessary bolts for the exhaust
Fog lights and horn
Deleted factory battery box and replaced with aftermarket overflow tank.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull:
Upper Panhard Rod Support
Front two speakers
Front Swaybar Brackets

In the future, I'm looking at:
Getting rid of the TCS controller and replacing the cable.
Deleting ABS when I get the rear end
Pin on Sunoco hood
UMI K-member
Weld Prostars

Stuff like the door bars and rear bumper support are staying until the only street duty the car sees is to the track and back.

Anybody think of anything that I missed? I'm open to suggestions. Trying to get the car's raceweight (with my 220 lb ass in it) to under 3350, or maybe even under 3300. I do want to keep all the carpet and interior plastic panels for now though. I hate the "theft recovery" look. :jest:

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if there's anything simple that I missed.

promod1955
07-14-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17319

run through it and see if theres anything you can find.

6techniques
07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
good lawd thats alot to pull, lol...but yeah, that post above should give you a few more ideas.

DOUBT IT
07-14-2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17319

run through it and see if theres anything you can find.

'preciate it, but I've been through that list quite a few times. :jest:

It hasn't really been updated in a while, I was hoping for some new ideas that no one has really thought of.

studderin
07-15-2007, 12:53 AM
you removed all that, and its 3400?

promod1955
07-15-2007, 12:55 AM
If you still drive it on the street and want oem saftey stuff, Its going to be hard to get it light. If you want to go to full race and have a 10 point, then theres a bunch more stuff you can do. Obviously its a balance. Your going to have to pull a few pounds here and there all over the car to get a good gain.

promod1955
07-15-2007, 12:58 AM
if you ever swap to a powergilde or a 3 speed auto, you'll get some there as well. Make a chromemoly trans mount, and you can get a couple pounds there as well.

Are you running light weight drag wheels?

DOUBT IT
07-15-2007, 01:30 AM
you removed all that, and its 3400?

With me in it, and I weigh around 220 lbs, so you figure that the car weighs 3180 curb weight.

If you still drive it on the street and want oem saftey stuff, Its going to be hard to get it light. If you want to go to full race and have a 10 point, then theres a bunch more stuff you can do. Obviously its a balance. Your going to have to pull a few pounds here and there all over the car to get a good gain.

Oh, once the car gets a cage, the weight reduction is on like Donkey Kong, I feel that at that point, I can call it a full-fledged drag car.

Oh, one thing that I didn't mention earlier is that I was thinking about getting a driver's side manual cloth seat, and taking out the passenger side for weight reduction. Cheaper than a Kirkey, and almost as light. Right now I've got the heavy ass power leather seats, and they are HEEEEAVY!

Are you running light weight drag wheels?

Not yet, after I get an axle, I plan to get either 15x3.5 up front, with some 15x10 out back, or just do 15x3.5 up front, with some factory snowflakes out back. Either combo should be pretty effective.

brandonppr
07-15-2007, 08:27 AM
The cloth seats are heavy too. I can't remember for sure but it seems like somewhere around 55 for the power driver side and 40-45 for the manual pass side. it has more to do with the frame. Kirkey is like 15.

DOUBT IT
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I did find something else...

The sunvisors... :jest:

brandonppr
07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I am going to weigh my cloth seats tonight. I will weigh driver and passenger. Will you weigh yours so we can find out the difference in cloth and leather?

tektrans
07-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Sounds like you're definately going in the right direction, the only thing I don't agree with is the upper panhard support. Don't think it the weight loss on that item is worth it, especially since you still drive on the street but that's just my .02.
Nice work so far!

brandonppr
07-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Ok I went and weighed my stock cloth seats
Driver electric: 38.6 lbs.
Passenger man: 31.6 lbs.

So I would guess that the motors etc for the electric ones adds 7 lbs. So you would save 7lbs going to a man. drivers side.

Also I sent you a PM.

DOUBT IT
07-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Sounds like you're definately going in the right direction, the only thing I don't agree with is the upper panhard support. Don't think it the weight loss on that item is worth it, especially since you still drive on the street but that's just my .02.
Nice work so far!

I actually got under there to do it, looked at the bracket and how weak it was, and decided not to do it. I guess I'm just a big pussy. :(

chae
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Jegs race seats or Kirkeys if you can swing the cash
windshield washer fluid tank
windshield wipers
driver/passenger airbags
front/rear bumper reinforcements
radio antenna
floormats
fog lights and brackets
heat shielding under the car
spoiler (looks bad)
lightweight flywheel

Project_SS
07-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Let us at it and we might be able to find more. You're off to a good start.

DOUBT IT
07-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Let us at it and we might be able to find more. You're off to a good start.

No, because then I might not have any car left when you're done. :jest: That and I'm running out of places to put this crap. ( I live in an apartment right now )

chuckyt1
07-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Pull that heater. You're in AL and don't need it. I just got done pulling the core and the blower and all that ducting under there. It was a lot of stuff... It's not as hard to do as it looks. Just use a long extension for those bolts on the firewall behind the drivers side head/header...

Project_SS
07-16-2007, 12:22 AM
No, because then I might not have any car left when you're done. :jest: That and I'm running out of places to put this crap. ( I live in an apartment right now )

We will treat it as if it were our own. How does this look for a 2840lb

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/lhop1/ProjectSS042.jpg

Texas Heat
07-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Your clothes.... run nekkid.....yeeeehhaaawwww

chae
07-18-2007, 11:50 PM

:jest: :funny: :jest: :funny: :jest: :funny: :jest: :funny: :jest: :funny:

Taubr Unit
07-19-2007, 01:02 AM
We will treat it as if it were our own. How does this look for a 2840lb

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/lhop1/ProjectSS042.jpg

holy hell :eek2: :eek2: im all about loosin any lbs i can. how the hell did you manage 2840!!

chae
07-19-2007, 04:58 AM
holy hell :eek2: :eek2: im all about loosin any lbs i can. how the hell did you manage 2840!!

Looks like he has some lightweight carpet, probably no sound deadening, removed passenger/rear seats, power window delete, etc.

Taubr Unit
07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
i have the lightest carpet ever... NONE!! lol. And no sound deadening anywhere eaither. Its all about the power to weight ratio and im all for it!

1SlowFormula
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM

I am interested too, I am in the middle of pulling a lot out of mine and don't think it will get that low...

AronZ28
07-19-2007, 09:34 PM
You need the driver weight reduction mod. :(

Serously though, yank out the heater and all that crap. Maybe convert to manual windows as well. I'd also put that horn back in while you're on the street. Never know when some broad won't check her blind spot and plow into you.

DOUBT IT
07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
You need the driver weight reduction mod. :(

Serously though, yank out the heater and all that crap. Maybe convert to manual windows as well. I'd also put that horn back in while you're on the street. Never know when some broad won't check her blind spot and plow into you.

People are supposed to be able to catch up and get in your blind spot? :devil: If they can't hear my car, they won't hear my horn, is my reasoning on that.

I'm seriously considering pulling the heater though. I've been trying to decide whether to do it or not.

DOUBT IT
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM

I can't do that, my balls would get whiplash... err... ball-lash. :jest:

chuckyt1
07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm seriously considering pulling the heater though. I've been trying to decide whether to do it or not.

Do it... Plus it makes the no. 8 plug a breeze

brandonppr
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I think manual windows weigh more than power windows.

Project_SS
07-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Actually the 2840 lbs is the race weight with me in the car. I tip the scales at 200lbs so the SS alone weighs 2640lbs.

It took alot of work to get to this weight. The SS has been converted to manual windows, locks,and mirrors. Also trimmed/shaved, lightweight carpet and the list goes on. Use the search and you should be able to find some info on what we did to the car. Also there is allot of info in the forums posted by other on removing weight.

Project_SS
07-19-2007, 10:27 PM
I think manual windows weigh more than power windows.

Wrong! The manuals are lighter.

chae
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM

What is involved in the manual window conversion. My window motors are starting to go so I may just get rid of them anyways. I will :search:, but just thought I'd ask so that I can start to get the parts together. Thanks.

Project_SS
07-19-2007, 10:56 PM
We drilled out the rivets that held the electric window assembly to the door. Pulled it out while one was holding the door glass up. Then installed the manual window assembly and put new rivets in. If I remember correctly the doors have the holes marked for manual or electric. Then pull out the wiring.

Rukus
07-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Actually the 2840 lbs is the race weight with me in the car. I tip the scales at 200lbs so the SS alone weighs 2640lbs.

It took alot of work to get to this weight. The SS has been converted to manual windows, locks,and mirrors. Also trimmed/shaved, lightweight carpet and the list goes on. Use the search and you should be able to find some info on what we did to the car. Also there is allot of info in the forums posted by other on removing weight.

YOU MUST TELL US EVERYTHING!!!!!! :eek2:

chae
07-19-2007, 11:02 PM
We drilled out the rivets that held the electric window assembly to the door. Pulled it out while one was holding the door glass up. Then installed the manual window assembly and put new rivets in. If I remember correctly the doors have the holes marked for manual or electric. Then pull out the wiring.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get all the parts pretty cheap to change over. How much did it cost you (estimated)? Thanks again.

Project_SS
07-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Freebe!

We just had to go out and pull them from a donor car.

brandonppr
07-19-2007, 11:46 PM

Oh I always heard the opposite. :bang:
How much lighter, I might be interested in doing mine that way. :)

chae
07-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Freebe!

We just had to go out and pull them from a donor car.

I've got to find me one of them :judge:

AronZ28
07-20-2007, 01:23 AM
FYI, you can use the same door panels when going from electric to manual windows. The factory has a precut hole in the back of the panel, all you have to do is cut a hole in the carpet.

Taubr Unit
07-20-2007, 12:11 PM
i took out all my HVAC stuff. I really need to weigh my car to see where im at. Its gonna be damn near real low 3000's.

BAKED
07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
You can also put some lexan windows in it too.

Taubr Unit
08-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey Project SS. The search isnt working. Can you fill in some more info on your feather car??

speed_racer1
08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
yes please..i want to lose more weight..does anyone know if you can remove your heat without removing your AC? i live in florida and don't need heat..but NEED AC :jest:

Project_SS
08-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Get out the tools and trim or shave parts. heat gun/ putty knife for sound deadner and seam sealer. Invest in some good spot weld cutters.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7477559&postcount=17

1SlowFormula
08-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Get out the tools and trim or shave parts. heat gun/ putty knife for sound deadner and seam sealer. Invest in some good spot weld cutters.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7477559&postcount=17

Thanks, now it looks like I have more weight to pull out... :judge:

Vicious95Z28
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Pull that heater. You're in AL and don't need it. I just got done pulling the core and the blower and all that ducting under there. It was a lot of stuff... It's not as hard to do as it looks. Just use a long extension for those bolts on the firewall behind the drivers side head/header...

Is there any way to pull the outside box with the engine still in the car? I've deleted the a/c but have to keep the heater and fan motor for state inspect. The box on the outside is pretty ugly.