Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness Issues

I am doing an ls1 swap on a 67 chevelle using a 2002 LS1 engine, 6 speed harness, and computer. My question is how do I go about finding the wires I need to hook to the ignition. I assume the only other wires that won't directly plug in would be from the battery to the alternator. I have a pin out diagram but I am still a bit lost any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

i got a small fuse center from jared at current performance and it made my life MUCH easier when it came time for doing my harness i would look into that it makes it very clean as well
Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tirefryin_s10
i got a small fuse center from jared at current performance and it made my life MUCH easier when it came time for doing my harness i would look into that it makes it very clean as well
I just checked out his site and I assume you bought the stand-alone fuse/relay module. Looks pretty good but I would rather not spend $100 on it but I may have to if I can't find a factory fuse box.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

trust me its worth the money it all comes labled has nice fuses/ has outputs to 2 fans and two the fuel pump makes wiring/tuning a breeze plus jarred is super good for customer service- just my 2 cents though the same could be achieved with a factory fuse box
Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a pretty slick setup. When you say that it has the outputs for the fans you just plug in the harness then run a harness to the fans and set what temp you want them to come on in the computer and you are good to go? Also you said it makes tuning easier so it comes with the OBD2 diagnostic port too?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

you have to buy the aldl port but it is easily wired in once you have it ... for the fans yes there are two wires coming out of jareds stand alone kit labled fan 1 and fan 2 you run them to the fans and thats it you go into the tune and set the on and off times and your rockin it also has a relay built in for the fuel pump so when you wire it that way it operates just like stock you turn on the key it cycles for 30 seconds then shuts off until you fire it
Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same thing with a fuse and relay box from a mid 90`s v6 camaro. It had 8 relay spots and probably 12 fuses which are plenty of relays/fuses. It was dirt cheap along with the ALDL port and a bunch of other wiring at the junkyard.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G-Body
I did the same thing with a fuse and relay box from a mid 90`s v6 camaro. It had 8 relay spots and probably 12 fuses which are plenty of relays/fuses. It was dirt cheap along with the ALDL port and a bunch of other wiring at the junkyard.
I just spent 8 hours last weekend adapting a 2000 LS1 Camaro fuse block to work in my 1970 LS1 ElCamino - not an easy task. I used the fuse block with the fan relays on it and had to rewire the horn and fog light relays to work for the ignition switched circuits. Looks like factory, only cost $30, but next time I'll go the plug and play route.

Now, to answer your question: there were five pink or pink w/white stripe wires from the various engine harness connectors that need to be fused and made hot when the key is on. I took the original coil line and used to to energize my fog and horn relays, and in turn used the two relays to power two fuse rows on the fuse block I'm using. There may be another "switched hot" line going to the wipers, but I figured the coil line would work fine.

Matt
Old 07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wasn't there an ignition relay on the camaro fuse box. I'm not familiar with them. My 2005 Suburban box had the ignition relay. I used my fog light and horn relays for my fans. How big is the camaro box? Truck box is kind of big.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Man the current perf. kit is sounding better and better haha.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Teching In

i used the fuse center from an ls1 fbody... had all the needed relays, fuses and
extras all for $20. shipped from eBay.
http://home.comcast.net/~airdeano/19...600/196526.jpg
i even posed the fuse locations on my site too.
http://home.comcast.net/~airdeano/1965/index.htm

airdeano
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rotoober
I just spent 8 hours last weekend adapting a 2000 LS1 Camaro fuse block to work in my 1970 LS1 ElCamino - not an easy task. I used the fuse block with the fan relays on it and had to rewire the horn and fog light relays to work for the ignition switched circuits. Looks like factory, only cost $30, but next time I'll go the plug and play route.

Matt
Im in the process of doing the same thing.Any pics or more info would be great to have.01 Camaro harness into a 66 Nova using the stock Camaro fuse boxes etc for the motor and trans,A4.

Quick Reply: Harness Issues