View Full Version : LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!

DOUBT IT
07-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey guys, I was present ( with a camera ) today when Ele-Blue95 decided to do his LS1 Airlid Conversion to his '95 LT1 Camaro.

He got the idea from the_merv. Any technical questions will have to be directed at him, because I only helped by taking pictures and giving an objective opinion on the test drive. Oh yeah, and letting him borrow my bellow so that he could get the car back together. :jest: I didn't help because I was doing some weight reduction on my car, trying to make sure that I can stay ahead of him. :jest:

Now, on to the pics:

Here's Eric marking the lines to cut in his radiator support. He had previously made the radiator brackets based on what the_merv had done.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00136.jpg

Couple of shots of how much was cut. He's planning on cutting down a little more, as well as either dropping the condenser down some more, or tapping the top down a little more.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00139.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00141.jpg

The K&N Filter just chillin' there:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00142.jpg

The metal on top of the radiator had to be cut and bent. He bent the metal slightly upwards later to accomodate the 4 rear tabs of the lid. Also, the small plastic tab behind where the lid was going to sit had to be cut.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00144.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00145.jpg

Everything in place, but with the wrong connector between the TB and MAF. Wasn't quite long enough:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00151.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00154.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00156.jpg

Everything in place, with the bellow from my car. We intended to do a 3x3 Fernco on his, but it was too stiff, and wouldn't let the back of the lid sit down far enough. It fit so well that we put the Fernco on mine until he can find another stock bellow.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00157.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00159.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/JPouncey/mod%20pics/DSC00163.jpg

There is still some work to do, such as fabricating a cover for the radiator/lid area, some more minor trimming to improve fit, and giving my bellow back. :jest:

Eric just wanted to show that this could be done without cutting the hood. His Suncoast Creations SS Hood doesn't even rub on the lid.

On the test drive, there was a very noticable improvement in throttle response and top end pull. It PROBABLY would have been even more so if it weren't for the two steel rims w/DR's on them in the back seat, and my 220lb ass riding shotgun. The car also seemed a whole lot smoother and linear. You could actually hear the car sucking air for the first time as well. :devil:

We expect track results this Friday to see what kind of gains he really made. He or I will report back here with a slip when that happens.

I'm sure that he'll be in this thread later on to answer any questions.

ele-blue95
07-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks DOUBT IT for the thread and all the pics. As said above, I will be doing the finishing touchs this week and get track results friday.I plan on welding a plate into the core support for reinforcement. I am also looking at doing the ram air mod as done on the LS1 cars. I will answer any questions any one may have.

That_guy
07-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Good job but i have a question (noob question) would the airlid conversion suck some of the hot air from the radiator as well.

the_merv
07-16-2007, 01:08 AM
I can't see your pics DOUBT-IT..I am at work and the Pics won't show up, I'll check them out tomorrow when I get home. I'm sure it looks sharp. :)
The LS1 Ram Air Mod is just cutting all the Plastic out from under the Bracket that holds the Filter inplace.

Good job but i have a question (noob question) would the airlid conversion suck some of the hot air from the radiator as well.
No because it's infront of the Radiator.

Jditlfm
07-16-2007, 01:27 AM
What is holding the air filter up in place? Isnít their a lower air box assembly on the ls1's?

DOUBT IT
07-16-2007, 01:31 AM
What is holding the air filter up in place? Isnít their a lower air box assembly on the ls1's?

Right now just the condenser and what's left of the radiator support. Ele-Blue95 is working on that. Keeps it pressed tight against the lid though.

the_merv
07-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Shit..looks just like mine..good job guys. :)

Beaflag VonRathburg
07-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Is the lid just held in by part of the shroud? The ram air sounds like a good idea. I plan on building one for my Formula soon.

ele-blue95
07-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Shit..looks just like mine..good job guys. :)
Thanks merv. You were not joking when you said its a pain in the a$$ to do. But like i said i will be welding up the core support, grinding the welds and making it look stock :devil: I just did not want to cut the SS Hood i have, Just a few more details and it will be done. Cant wait to see what it will do at the track on friday.

Beaflag VonRathburg, the shroud does help hold down the lid.

FAD2BLK93
07-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Will this mod fit under the stock 93 T/A hood?

NotACop97Z
07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
where do you get the hose that goes from the TB to the MAF? what was your total cost?

Thanks

Pete

Also on a differnt note, I have the high miler kit also, for the heater hoses, how did you get the stock hoses off?

ele-blue95
07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
where do you get the hose that goes from the TB to the MAF? what was your total cost?

Thanks

Pete

Also on a differnt note, I have the high miler kit also, for the heater hoses, how did you get the stock hoses off?

That hose between the MAF and TB is a stock LS1 bellow off DOUBT ITs 2000 Z28. Im getting one out of a junk yard tomarrow.My total cost so far is around $105. As for the high miler kit. To get the hoses off, you have to cut the fitting on the end of the stock hoses. Instead of hose clamps, they use crush fittings. They are real easy to cut. Just dont cut to deep so you dont cut the metal under the hose and you are all set to put on the new hoses. If you need more help just let me know.

wrd1972
07-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Looks pretty neat, I thought about trying this.

The one thing I do not like is hacking up that metal cross member, that is enough for me to say " I aint gonna do this". This is the spot that I lift the car up with a crane to get the engine out the bottom, I would fear that the strength would be lacking.

Do the LS1 cars have this area cutout like in the pic? If they do I would imagine that it is beefed up somehow to ensure that the front of the unibody is sound.

fireman
07-17-2007, 01:41 PM
You guys are making way too much out of this conversion.

I did it over a year ago for cosmetic reasons only after the '98 front end swap. Actually used an SLP lid, cutout the bottom of the airbox, switched from a 52mm Tbody to a 58mm Holley, and installed an MSD Digital 6 ignition with matching blaster coil.

Felt absolutely ZERO difference over the previous setup using an LPE CAI w/ 9" K/N and cutout splash shield below filter.

Car made 371rwhp at 6200rpm with the old setup and I dynoed again on the same dyno 6 months(200 miles) later and hit 367rwhp letting out at 6000rpm. Taking it to 6200 would have just put me within 2 hp of the old 371.

fireman
07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
You get the hose from the TB to the MAF at Lowes or Home Depot. Grab a 3" rubber coupling from the plumbing section, its like $4. Its made by FERNCO. Thick ass rubber and it comes with the hose clamps. I heated mine up a little before slipping over the throttle body to make it easier.

FASTFATBOY
07-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Why would you do that? You are sucking in VERY hot air directly off the radiator...the whole idea to more power is cooler/denser air...and that aint doin it.

Guys stick with your CAI.

David

ele-blue95
07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Why would you do that? You are sucking in VERY hot air directly off the radiator...the whole idea to more power is cooler/denser air...and that aint doin it.

David
The only time you are sucking hot air off the radiator is when you are sitting at a red light. when you are moving the motor only gets the cold air off the road. I have noticed a big difference just driving around town and on the interstate. The throttle is more responsive and the pull is better no matter what gear im in.

the_merv
07-17-2007, 10:27 PM

David
:stupid:
This sits in front of the Radiator, not behind it. You honestly think that at 90mph you are sucking in "VERY hot" air off of the Radiator with the amount of air that is forced up there? Hell even 20mph is enough to cool the Radiator.

And sitting in Traffic doesn't do it either, your Fans are on.. :judge:

Look at the design and research it a little better..this kicks the shit out fo a CAI..atleast this is ALOT of Air coming off of the Street, and properly made can get a little bit of a Ram Air effect..not enough to make a difference, but for the supply of cold air. :)

Revelation Z28
07-17-2007, 11:22 PM

David

why would GM put it factory on the LS1 when they would know if it would suck hot air in?

i want a FTRA kit or an SLP flowpack funnel thing next for it.

my car pulled harder up top with the lid on after i did LTs.

DOUBT IT
07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Do the LS1 cars have this area cutout like in the pic? If they do I would imagine that it is beefed up somehow to ensure that the front of the unibody is sound.

No, the LS1 cars have a hood and fenders made to accomodate the airbox. The support is nice and solid under there, until you do something like I'm going to do and copy SUX2BU's idea on homeade ram air. :devil:

Ele-Blue95 is going to weld the metal back in, just reversed so that he still has the cavity for the filter, so structural strength should be maintained. Don't know how much strength there is anyway, have you ever seen the front of one of these cars wrecked?

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I don't mind hacking mine up to do the SUX2BU ram-air, since I no longer have a front bumper support anyway. But then again, I hardly ever street drive the car. :judge:

DOUBT IT
07-17-2007, 11:42 PM

David

If that is the case, then why aren't LS1 owners switching to an LT1 style CAI in droves?

streetwarrior96
07-18-2007, 12:49 AM

David

Thats why I got them little hoses on the T/B. Really cool off that hot air :jest:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/streetwarrior96/100_0195.jpg

I lucked out cause I got the hood. I did it for cosmetic reasons. Don't need to nit pick for 5- 10 hp if any.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/streetwarrior96/enginefront.jpg

Looks great dude. Really nice work.

the_merv
07-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Thats why I got them little hoses on the T/B. Really cool off that hot air :jest:
Looks great dude. Really nice work.
Yea, they did a damn good job, mirrors mine just about. :judge:

You run the N20..I'll just build a big Motor with a set of really good Heads so I can suck in more of that hot air.. :jest:

FASTFATBOY
07-18-2007, 08:14 AM
The only time you are sucking hot air off the radiator is when you are sitting at a red light. when you are moving the motor only gets the cold air off the road. I have noticed a big difference just driving around town and on the interstate. The throttle is more responsive and the pull is better no matter what gear im in.

So does the radiator MOVE out from under the filter on acceleration? A good test would be a datalog of the MAF and AIT with a CAI VS. this setup...don't you think?

And for the record, if you guys have never taken a LS1 apart, it has a plastic piece under the filter to block heat off the radiator and condenser.

David

the_merv
07-18-2007, 09:42 AM
So does the radiator MOVE out from under the filter on acceleration? A good test would be a datalog of the MAF and AIT with a CAI VS. this setup...don't you think?

And for the record, if you guys have never taken a LS1 apart, it has a plastic piece under the filter to block heat off the radiator and condenser.

David
When, in any Vehicle, does the Radiator move.. :eyes:
You are thinking about this too much..I picked up .2 in the Quarter goin to this. Another benefit is that it's a shorter Intake, less for the Air to travel, and it's straight to the Throttle Body.
I'll let you figure that one out..

FASTFATBOY
07-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Picked up .2? on the same day? You ran a CAI down the track, came to the pits and put the lid on and made another pass? Back to back? Same engine temp? Within say 1 hour? If you did not do these things, your .2 claim is worthless.

I am baffled as to why no one has either done the above or put a car on a chassis dyno and done the above.

OR a datalog, or even scan readings going down the road with the two swapped out. Write down the MAF and AIT reading on both.

I had a 5.0 LX, I had heard ALL these claims about how an electric fan was worth all this power and ET.....I went to the track, made 3 passes with the stock fan, logged them. removed it, put on the electric fan, made 3 passes....all on the same night, no other changes. The car ran the EXACT same 60ft, et and MPH.....that is the way you test something as this.

David

Revelation Z28
07-18-2007, 01:01 PM
and the LS1 guys take that plastic out to do the FRA mod. the radiator is way behind the filter area. the AC condensor is the first thing thats near the filter and that doesnt get hot.

FASTFATBOY
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
and the LS1 guys take that plastic out to do the FRA mod. the radiator is way behind the filter area. the AC condensor is the first thing thats near the filter and that doesnt get hot.

That is what I am trying to say, the LS1 has a plastic piece under the filter blocking the radiator heat. The condenser does get hot with the a/c on. But at the track with it off, you are correct. No heat of the condenser.

These guys are laying the filter RIGHT ON THE RADIATOR...say what you want, but that is NOT good.

David

Revelation Z28
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
well im using the LS1 shroud and i dont have the plastic piece due to the FRA mod so im in the clear.

camar0corey
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
And with using the ls1 shroud you didn't have to hack up your radiator support right??

ele-blue95
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
To prove if there is a difference, i'll take my CAI to the track and swap them out and do a best of three runs. How would you like these runs? With DRs, without DRs, cut-out open, cut-out closed, Shifting at 6000 rpm or at 6300 rpm. You guys let me know what would make it easier for everyone. I can change alot of things just so we can get this over with, on the no gains, gains.

ele-blue95
07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
And with using the ls1 shroud you didn't have to hack up your radiator support right??
Your right about that. But it will not clear the stock hood or the SS hood. You will have to have a ram air hood like the ultra Z or a cal hood.

titter
07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I am going to use the LS1 shroud, with the Sunoco hood. Should fit. As far as testing, dr's, same shift, and make sure you don't hot lap it :p

camar0corey
07-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm planning on getting the harwood, Revelation said I might need to clearance a little on the underside of the hood to make it fit.

If anyone is using this with the 2.5" Harwood, please post up.

the_merv
07-18-2007, 11:26 PM
These guys are laying the filter RIGHT ON THE RADIATOR...say what you want, but that is NOT good.

David
Yup, we are laying it right on the Radiator.. :judge:

I got that special model too where the Radiator jumps, no shit it jumps :eek2:, right out of the Hood, goes into the back, turns on the Flux Capacitor..and boy when you hit 88mph you better hold the fuck on... :judge:

^^That's someone's new quote.. :jest:

ele-blue95
07-19-2007, 12:30 AM
I got that special model too where the Radiator jumps, no shit it jumps :eek2:, right out of the Hood, goes into the back, turns on the Flux Capacitor..and boy when you hit 88mph you better hold the fuck on... :judge:

Damn Merv, I need one of those :jest:
Hey merv, I here you have just LS in the car. Let me know how she runs :burn:

Revelation Z28
07-19-2007, 03:23 AM
I'm planning on getting the harwood, Revelation said I might need to clearance a little on the underside of the hood to make it fit.

If anyone is using this with the 2.5" Harwood, please post up.

i went deeper than ive ever gone into anything to look for this. this is the topic WITH pictures on where you would need to cut for a lid on a 2.5" harwood cowl hood.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707502

FASTFATBOY
07-19-2007, 09:15 AM

THE_MERV^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DId you HAPPEN to read this post?????????????? This is where I asked if the radiator moves out from under the filter when the car starts moving.

Think what you want rocket scientist, you ARE NOT duplicating what an LS1 has for a lid setup. go to Installuniversity.com and look at the pictures of the freemods to an LS1 lower airbox.

Until you PROVE the gains with a setup like in pictures in this post. And prove it like I stated in an earlier post, as far as I am concerned you wasted alot of time chopping up a perfectly good core support for nothing.

Again, here is how you prove me wrong:

Picked up .2? on the same day? You ran a CAI down the track, came to the pits and put the lid on and made another pass? Back to back? Same engine temp? Within say 1 hour? If you did not do these things, your .2 claim is worthless.

I am baffled as to why no one has either done the above or put a car on a chassis dyno and done the above.

OR a datalog, or even scan readings going down the road with the two swapped out. Write down the MAF and AIT reading on both.

David

FASTFATBOY
07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
If that is the case, then why aren't LS1 owners switching to an LT1 style CAI in droves?

In case you have never SEEN a LS1 lower airbox...this car DOES NOT HAVE THE LOWER AIRBOX..DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!???

An LS1 BLOCKS the radiator heat with the plastic LOWER part of the box, a STOCK LS1 lower box TOTALLY is sealed off from the radiator and condenser.

The LS1 "free ram air mod" cuts the bottom of the box out FORWARD of the radiator.

Does ANYONE do their OWN research anymore...or just jump on th"it must be better" bandwagon because everyone ELSE is??!! Jeez.

Streetwarrior96 Did it correctly.

I have a Suncoast hood and Ram Air setup on my Z28, other than Streetwarrior96's setup, IMO it is the only other way to do it.

You guys think what you want, until I see logged PROOF....I will believe it dont work.

David

the_merv
07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
You guys think what you want, until I see logged PROOF....I will believe it dont work.
Well you just stay slow then and we'll have fun.. :)

Man..you are havin an issue with this.. :eyes:
For someone who doesn't give that much of a shit about it you put up one hell of an arguement..

Tell you what..when I finish up today, I'll post pics of it on there with my new Engine..I suppose I wasted a perfectly good Car by putting that in also.. :bang:

Revelation Z28
07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
airbox was an easy install. i needed a cowl hood that had the cowl start right after the hood latch bar platform in order to house over the lid. you need to cut some of the bottom of the support so it sits flush with the cross support.
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7421/844750538ke1.jpg

FASTFATBOY
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Well you just stay slow then and we'll have fun.. :)

Man..you are havin an issue with this.. :eyes:
For someone who doesn't give that much of a shit about it you put up one hell of an arguement..

Tell you what..when I finish up today, I'll post pics of it on there with my new Engine..I suppose I wasted a perfectly good Car by putting that in also.. :bang:

The issue I have is this, people chop up their car based on...what? Because you did it and you SAID it FELT faster? Did no testing whatsoever....NONE.

When you get your 15* headed LS1 together, It MUST have 10 more RWHP with that lid setup...you wouldnt have ANY problem running my SLOW 23* headed OLD SCHOOL LT1.....would ya? Motor to motor?

David

ele-blue95
07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
To prove if there is a difference, i'll take my CAI to the track and swap them out and do a best of three runs. How would you like these runs? With DRs, without DRs, cut-out open, cut-out closed, Shifting at 6000 rpm or at 6300 rpm. You guys let me know what would make it easier for everyone. I can change alot of things just so we can get this over with, on the no gains, gains.

Like i said David, Im going to do the testing for everyone tomarrow. And if anyone wants to send me some money, i'll go to the dyno down the road and spend the time to get numbers to the wheels.

FASTFATBOY
07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Like i said David, Im going to do the testing for everyone tomarrow. And if anyone wants to send me some money, i'll go to the dyno down the road and spend the time to get numbers to the wheels.

Is your setup exactly like the one in this thread? Or does it have the LS1 lower box and rad support on it?

David

the_merv
07-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Here ya go FATBOY..just like I promised..
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m129/the_merv/P1010012.jpg

The issue I have is this, people chop up their car based on...what? Because you did it and you SAID it FELT faster? Did no testing whatsoever....NONE.

When you get your 15* headed LS1 together, It MUST have 10 more RWHP with that lid setup...you wouldnt have ANY problem running my SLOW 23* headed OLD SCHOOL LT1.....would ya? Motor to motor?

David
I'm done arguing..I'll go have a more of a productive conversation with my Wall.. :eyes:

I'll run you Motor to Motor..with my "LS1"..
You fail to read the Signature young Grasshopper.. :judge:

I don't know why you are referring to the LT1 like that anyways..no where am I baggin on it...last time I checked I had one in my Car at one point in time.. :gtfo:

ele-blue95
07-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Is your setup exactly like the one in this thread? Or does it have the LS1 lower box and rad support on it?

David

Mine is the one at the start of the thread. It was posted by my friend DOUBT IT since it was his camera that we took the pics with.

streetwarrior96
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
hey merv why did ya go with a 114 LSA on that cam... gonna spray the shit out it???? should have gone 112

DOUBT IT
07-19-2007, 10:47 PM
In case you have never SEEN a LS1 lower airbox...this car DOES NOT HAVE THE LOWER AIRBOX..DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!???

Umm, jackass, my car IS AN LS1!!! Check the sig.

An LS1 BLOCKS the radiator heat with the plastic LOWER part of the box, a STOCK LS1 lower box TOTALLY is sealed off from the radiator and condenser.

...and open to the hot air that comes from under the hood. Actually on stock Z28's and non-WS6 TA's, the small opening in the front of the lower airbox is the ONLY source of air. Tell me how that is any better.

The LS1 "free ram air mod" cuts the bottom of the box out FORWARD of the radiator.

I know, I did it. I cut out the ENTIRE bottom piece of plastic, and sealed the hole in the front of the lower airbox, so my car ONLY pulls from the bottom, RIGHT IN THE SAME DAMN PLACE AS ELE-BLUE95'S CAR! I experienced a huge difference in pull up top, especially once I did the LS6 swap. My car has been pulling air from under the car for about two years now, and not a single problem with heat soak, or indication that the car is getting anything but nice fresh, cold air.

Revelation Z28
07-19-2007, 11:03 PM
it sucks from the bottom too ;)

the way i did mine i can get air either way. when youre at a stop it usually comes from the front and when moving the bottom

merv, i never thought id see the day. :drool:

the_merv
07-20-2007, 01:52 AM
Don't hold me too it..it's not runnin yet.. :(

Revelation Z28
07-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Don't hold me too it..it's not runnin yet.. :(

shit id drive down there to help and watch since im in NJ right now.

the_merv
07-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Come on down..better haul some ass, I am workin on it around 9am..

Revelation Z28
07-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Come on down..better haul some ass, I am workin on it around 9am..

yea right that was if i had a car over here.

FASTFATBOY
07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Here ya go FATBOY..just like I promised..
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m129/the_merv/P1010012.jpg

I'm done arguing..I'll go have a more of a productive conversation with my Wall.. :eyes:

I'll run you Motor to Motor..with my "LS1"..
You fail to read the Signature young Grasshopper.. :judge:

I don't know why you are referring to the LT1 like that anyways..no where am I baggin on it...last time I checked I had one in my Car at one point in time.. :gtfo:

Ahhh Sooo, you also fail to read MY sig young one.

You made the statement"you keep going slow" Here is what I am going slow with.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3133/progress019ot5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I will be in Tulsa Ok in a month or so at Ed Wrights shop.....we can hook up after I am done. I got less motor in a heavier car...nothing to fear. :devil:

All I am after is PROOF.....If you prove me wrong I will shut up.

David

FASTFATBOY
07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
it sucks from the bottom too ;)

the way i did mine i can get air either way. when youre at a stop it usually comes from the front and when moving the bottom

It sucks from the bottom IN FRONT of the radiator, if you cut it out RIGHT... the radiator remains blocked off so heat cannot enter the intake with the stock LS1 lower box.

THIS is the point I am trying to make here. Cutting the core support and laying the filter DIRECTLY on top of the radiator IS NOT the same as what an LS1 has. THERE IS NO LOWER BOX to block the heat from the radiator.

In theory when the maf sees less dense(hot) air and the air inlet temp sensor(ait) sees hot air the ecm adjusts fuel and timing and thus less power. IN THEORY.

If it were ME and I did that, I would attach a piece of sheet aluminum on top of the rad and condenser, make a little stand for the filter to sit on and drill holes in the front of the core support to pull air from the spot between the core support and the front cap, angle it down and pop rivet it to the plastic piece angled up in front of the radiator but hey that's just me.

I am a realist...I need proof...you guys can piss up a rope for all I care....If you want to do that to your car because you THINK it makes it faster....I got no problem with that.

Think for a minute, why do cars run better in winter? Cooler air, why to F/I cars run intercoolers? Cooler air, why do cars run better at sea level? Denser air(aka cooler) Why do racers keep up with the DA at a racetrack? Air quality...COme on guys.

Again, if you prove me wrong...I will go away..

MERV, engine looks awesome.

David

the_merv
07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
You got a good setup there yourself..it would be a good run..:)

-PEPE-
07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Think for a minute, why do cars run better in winter? Cooler air, why to F/I cars run intercoolers? Cooler air, why do cars run better at sea level? Denser air(aka cooler) Why do racers keep up with the DA at a racetrack? Air quality...COme on guys.

David

TRUE STORY ABOVE ~ Haven't been falling the drama but did see the first pics and this last post and couldn't agree more, my concern would be the hot ambient air off the radiator, it could possibly (more than likely) will negatively affect your tune when she's running. Definitely get it setup with something blocking the bottom more like an ls1 setup, but excellent craftsmanship.

Revelation Z28
07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
all i know is the way mine is is the way to go, and it works great. i was going to do the hack mod, but i decided a hood to clear the setup is worth more than taking a chunk out of the front framerail. so i just got the radiator cover and a lid. i just want to get the FTRA/SLP air funnel from the flowpack. so itll feed it air from the bottom with more of a charge.

camar0corey
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the link to the thread, I saved the pic of that harwood. Was he still trying to get rid of that hood???

I'm going your route also, I'll just get a hood to clear instead of cutting things up.

Even if hypothetically it doesn't make any more power, it will make working on things easier. Having to pull the K&N CAI is a pain in the ass.

Revelation Z28
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the link to the thread, I saved the pic of that harwood. Was he still trying to get rid of that hood???

I'm going your route also, I'll just get a hood to clear instead of cutting things up.

Even if hypothetically it doesn't make any more power, it will make working on things easier. Having to pull the K&N CAI is a pain in the ass.

i dont know if he's gotten rid of the hood yet. it should give you more top end pull since its a straight to the TB flow, and a shorter ram charge to the intake.

Bones Z28
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
good job man, looks good. Is that a stock LT1 hood on the car? I did the whole front end conversion so I was able to run the whole LS1 radiator support and all.

I was just wondering because man that seemed like a lot of work.

Here's my setup.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/bossz28camaro/slplid.jpg

Revelation Z28
07-20-2007, 02:50 PM
bones,

you can get your radiator cover to sit flush on the support beam by shaving off the bottom plastic walls underneath the radiator cover.

ele-blue95
07-21-2007, 01:21 AM
I could'nt get the track results tonight due to rain. But i will go next week and get the testing done.

FASTFATBOY
07-30-2007, 01:50 AM
I could'nt get the track results tonight due to rain. But i will go next week and get the testing done.

Track results?

D

the_merv
07-30-2007, 02:01 AM
They are here somewhere..I saw them earlier.