Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magna. or SLP Loud Mouth?

Old 05-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magna. or SLP Loud Mouth?

I've heard so many conflicting idea's regarding the exhaust mods. I want to do on my 2002 TA WS6.......I'm going crazy! Can someone give me the PROS/CONS on both so I can figure this out? Thanks!

Old 05-14-2003, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Magna. or SLP Loud Mouth?

well this is always a hot discusion topic, you could do a search and read till the cows come home, I read about SOOO many people having drone problems with the lm more so with headers, others say louder=better.
I can say I love my magnaflow and do get compiments, now agian JMPO but if money is no object go GMMG, the advantage of all 3 of these over alot is high flow, with GMMG, LM being first seeing they are not a muffler,the mangnaflow is among the TOP of the muffler version at high flow plus it has good sound. bottom line is to get around some people and see what you like in person, sound files can be deceving as well IMO.

Good luck, and enjoy
Pete
Old 05-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I can say I love my magnaflow and do get compiments, now agian JMPO but if money is no object go GMMG, the advantage of all 3 of these over alot is high flow, with GMMG, LM being first seeing they are not a muffler,the mangnaflow is among the TOP of the muffler version at high flow plus it has good sound. bottom line is to get around some people and see what you like in person, sound files can be deceving as well IMO.

Gosh, call me 'blonde' but what does JMPO and GMMG and LM stand for? I'm new to this posting thing and I'm not that advanced in the car modification lingo yet....Sorry.

My goal:

MEAN sound (I have a cutout right now, but I want louder)and possible horsey gain.....

Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Screw both of those and go with a Hooker cat-back. It sounds great with stock exhaust manifolds and even better when you step up to longtube headers.

If you go with the Loudmouth (which sound like crap to begin with) you will regret it when you up-grade to longtubes. It will sound HORRIBLE!

Magnaflow sound good, but the Hooker system is nicer IMHO.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

My goal:

MEAN sound (I have a cutout right now, but I want louder)and possible horsey gain.....

Thanks!!

If thats your goal, then get a Dynomax Bullet muffler welded in after the y-pipe and do a turn down.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i say go with the loudmouth. I have ordered mine and am waiting for it. Later if you get headers you can switch to a true dual system. You can always sell you loudmouth here or at the other site.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Ok, I found a Hooker Cat Back Exhaust for $260.99.....Good price?

-OR-

Mobe-There are a ton of options for the Dynomax Bullet Muffler, thoughts? Could you specifically note what all I need to purchase so I can do this today? I'm online, with my cc, READY TO DO THIS....please help! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2003, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry,
you just get used to people throwing around abbreviations
LM- Loud Mouth = a type of restonator/exhaust
JMPO- just my personal op ion
GMMG- that is the name of the company that makes this exhaust.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

J'yme
I payed 114 for my magnaflow (muffler only) and 40 for the install. So yes all things considered 260 is good, and one of the +'s of the hooker I have heard people like, is you can drop it at the track with only a couple bolts in minutes.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, I found a Hooker Cat Back Exhaust for $260.99.....Good price?

-OR-

Mobe-There are a ton of options for the Dynomax Bullet Muffler, thoughts? Could you specifically note what all I need to purchase so I can do this today? I'm online, with my cc, READY TO DO THIS....please help! Thanks!
What I ran on my t/a for a while was a 3" in/out, 12" bullet muffler ($35 @ Jegs) after my y-pipe, then a cutout, and on back through a Hooker cat-back. That way it can be really loud when you want it to be, and some what mellow when you don't wnt it to be too loud. Best of 2 worlds!

That price you found for the Hooker is an excellent price. Can't beat it with a stick!

Hope that helps.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

If you like drone, and you will never get headers, LM is cool.

If you hate drone, and there is the slightest possibility you may get headers, go with MagnaFlow.

I had both, and I like Magnaflow MUCH better...

Tommy
Old 05-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Go with true duals. Best sound by far and best power. Due a search and you will find a lot of info on it. If you want deep and loud nothing will beat longtubes no cats and dual's dumping before the rear axle. Then put a nice big cam in with a low lsa and have one hell of a rumble.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or can you not ask a question about the pros/cons between two things and not have other people chiming in with third and fourth options that you never asked about? Anyway, if you like the way that a cutout soudns at all the loudmouth will do just fine. It is more refined than just a cutout and in my honest opinion (IMHO) it sounds badass and I can't wait to get my headers with highflow cats this summer True duals are great but very costly compared to a catback Also, the GMMG is probably the best catback and second only to true duals but for something like $850...that is just too much for a catback that's more than I will spend on mac midlength headers with random tech cats
Old 05-14-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Whats wrong with informing someone of other possibilities out there that they may not have considered, or didn't even know existed. Thats what this board is for... INFORMATION.

BTW, True duals are not that costly. I spent under $400 on mine. That included all parts (3" stainless steel pipe & x junction, and two spiral flow mufflers) and labor. Thats less than 90% of the cat-backs out there.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but the topic was Magna or SLP Loudmouth. And BTW, the loudmouth, in my opinion and many others, does not sound like crap to begin with just depends on what you like. I bet anyone who likes a cutout and wants it louder would like a loudmouth. Also, i only paid $310 for mine with shipping And how did you get duals for under $400? That sounds interesting....who did the labor it sounds like you didn't get charged too much for it. Does it dump under the car? I LOVE my loudmouth but once I get the headers might be looking for something that is a little cleaner in sound, we will see, but i'm sure i'll be fine with cats and a loudmouth still b/c I, like the origianl poster, wnat my car to be LOUD!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

both are cheapies IMO
Old 05-15-2003, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Mobe,
Have not seen ya in a little while,
how's it been. What hood is that you have, it looks awesome it just looks meaner than my stock ws6 hood. you need to start listing your mod buddy, the gauges and start button alone are just up there on the cool factor, looks like it would be long list, what are you 1/4 times and your rwhp
these days??
Talk at ya later brian,
Pete
Old 05-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks ALL OF YOU for offering your information. I'm still pricing things and making my judgement based on sound, dependability, possibilities for future modifications, and price....Although I wanted to purchase everything yesterday (and I only have today to get the Hooker Cat-Back before the 10% sale ceases) I want to make sure I'm buying the best for my money.

I think this all boils down to personal preference....so, we'll see what I come up with.

Thanks again boys!

J'yme
Old 05-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Launching!

I like the loudmouth. It's really an attention grabber. Generally, the older people have problems with it (too loud, drone, police harrassment, etc.) and the younger crowd seem to love it. Just driving around my neighborhood, little kids just gawk and stare at the unbelievable sound my car is producing. It's like having a NASCAR in their neighborhood. I just get the blank looks from the moms. It also flows better than any other exhaust that I've had or that my friends have had (except for maybe true duals). I could put plastic army men in the exhaust tails and catapault them out just starting the engine!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but the topic was Magna or SLP Loudmouth. And BTW, the loudmouth, in my opinion and many others, does not sound like crap to begin with just depends on what you like. I bet anyone who likes a cutout and wants it louder would like a loudmouth. Also, i only paid $310 for mine with shipping And how did you get duals for under $400? That sounds interesting....who did the labor it sounds like you didn't get charged too much for it. Does it dump under the car? I LOVE my loudmouth but once I get the headers might be looking for something that is a little cleaner in sound, we will see, but i'm sure i'll be fine with cats and a loudmouth still b/c I, like the origianl poster, wnat my car to be LOUD!
My whole point was to get something that you weren't going to want to replace after getting headers. It is a waste of money. Do it right the first time! Its great that you like the LM and are happy with the purchase of it. But! From your own words,... "once I get the headers might be looking for something that is a little cleaner in sound," I rest my case!

Yes, my dual dump before the axle. I simply bought all the parts needed to fab one up and took it to the guy that does all my exhaust/welding work. I didn't have a camera with me during the install, so I havn't any pics off it yet. I'll try and take some soon. I will say this... My car is dropped (pro-kit) and I used 3" pipe, and it has damn good clearance.

Hey Mobe,
Have not seen ya in a little while,
how's it been. What hood is that you have, it looks awesome it just looks meaner than my stock ws6 hood. you need to start listing your mod buddy, the gauges and start button alone are just up there on the cool factor, looks like it would be long list, what are you 1/4 times and your rwhp
these days??

I've been around, lurking in dark corners.
I have the SLP H.O. hood, and I absolutely LOVE it! I bought it because it IS much meaner looking than the stock WS6 or the Raptor hoods. I havn't taken it to the track in a while and I've done a few things since the last time so I don't have any good times to post. My last dyno was 338rwhp and 347tq (that was with 4* of KR) w/ an A/F of 14.8. I'm going to be throwing in a G5X-2 next weekend, and after I break it all in I'll get it dynoed. Here is a list of my mods (longer than some, shorter than others):

Performance: TS&P Lid, Holley Power Shot Filter, Stock
Descreened Ported MAF, MAFT, Direct-Flo Smooth Bellow,
FTRA, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 160* T-stat, SLP Fan
Switch, Hooker LTs, X-pipe w/ Moroso Spiral Flows, B&M
Ripper, Yokohama AVS Sports, Eibach Pro-kit, BMR STB,
BMR SFCs, !EGR, !AIR, !CAGS and all the little freeby
!mods
Exterior: SLP H.O. hood, Billet Specialties GTX01
17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear, !Side Molding
Interior: MBA Aluminum Shift ****, Harlan Shift Light,
Push-button Starter, Comp-Sport Aotumeter Guages In
Vents

*G5X-2 coming VERY soon!*

I like the loudmouth. It's really an attention grabber. Generally, the older people have problems with it (too loud, drone, police harrassment, etc.) and the younger crowd seem to love it. Just driving around my neighborhood, little kids just gawk and stare at the unbelievable sound my car is producing. It's like having a NASCAR in their neighborhood. I just get the blank looks from the moms. It also flows better than any other exhaust that I've had or that my friends have had (except for maybe true duals). I could put plastic army men in the exhaust tails and catapault them out just starting the engine!

Little kids ar naive and don't know any better. :p

Search this Thread