Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering question

I have an '01 Trans am and my question is just this. I noticed one day while looking at my friends '02 Camaro Z28 that his power steering pump had lines running from it to the upper radiator hose. That upper radiator hose had a metal section in it for the power steerig and back to the pump. My T/A has none of this. Does this heat/cool the power steering fluid? Is there a benefit? Why does my car not have it at all? My upper radiator hose is just a solid rubber hose. Which is the better? Why the difference? I've just been pondering this for a few days and have been wondering if any one could shine some light one the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That metal tube is the power steering cooler. It's an option that came with the WS6, SS and Z28's. How much you really need it, not sure. Probably not worth adding it unless you were road racing or something and then it would probably be better to go for a better aftermarket kit instead.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, power steering cooler. It is an option, probably not needed for normal driving, but if you do autox, it's good to have.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

So theres really is no need for it in my car. I figured that once the coolant got hot it would heat the power steering fluid. Same idea as in needing to do a throttle body by pass?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Wink

I believe earlier SS owners & probably WS6 owners were having problems with the power steering pumps over heating & failing so in 2002 GM made the up-grade to install power steering coolers on all SS & some Z/28 models as either standard equipment or optional . It seems too many hard left & right turns would cause the pumps to overheat & fail. Those with 2002 models can thank GM for the up-grade. Older models can easily do the up-grade them selves.