Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Break in process for rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Break in process for rotors/pads

Hey, I am about to install brembo oem replacement rotors up front and hawks pads all the way around. I was just wonderin if there was a specific break in that is required for new rotors/pads. I have heard that its better to install them seperately and break them in seperately but that didnt make too much sense to me so i just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Also, is there anything that needs to be applied to the actual surface of the pads? Or is that not necesarry?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't apply anything to the surface of the pads- the surface that contacts the rotor. All you do is make sure the rotor surface is clean, that's what brakeclean is for.
Watch the cleanliness of your hands and when you install the pads. Don't get grease/oil/dirt on the pads when you install them. Last I heard, it is not advisable to spray the friction surface of brake pads with brakecleaner, so keep them in their box until you're ready to install them.

on the back of the pads, most have anti-squeal backing plates but a good idea is to also use CRC brake-quiet, it's orange in a small bottle and costs < $5.

as for breaking in the brakes, i read enough of guys doing 10 hard stops then have pulstations and shitty brakes 1000 miles later. Just drive & brake easy for the first few hundred miles and the pads and rotors will wear in normally. You never want to overheat the brakes, obviously, which is probably what's happening when people try to purposely break-in new brakes.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks alot guys.

Quick Reply: Break in process for rotors/pads