Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shakes and sounds like its going to turn off.... What is it???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Car shakes and sounds like its going to turn off.... What is it???

What can cause this ???

My car just started doing this today in the morning. It shakes like its going to turn off and has a really strong gas smell. I changed the fuel filter a while ago and I honestly dont think its clogged. Also, I did a spark plug change, Can that be it ? Maybe I didnt plugged a cable good or something of that nature.

What else can it be ??? The car threw a code but I dont have a scanner so I need to go and get it done at Autozone or Pep Boys.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds to me like you are probably misfiring, and probably on a few cylinders. The best thing would be to get it scanned then you will know whats going on. But because you recently changed the plugs a misfire is a very likely culprit.

What did you gap your plugs at?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

I recently had a similar problem problem. One of my plugs wires detached and was arcing. Snapped it back on and the code went away, car ran fine. It was one of those bitch plugs on the passenger side.

Not awhole lot of miles after my plug, and wire swap either. Sounds ignition related, check there.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

My buddy was way down on power recently too, some new wires fixed that. His mechanic told him that the 7 cylinder is usually the issue, don't exactly know what he meant by that though.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would guess you didn't fully connect a wire back, go back and check them all to make sure they are all pressed on good.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

I too am having this misfire issue on my 2002. First the car gave a PO300 random misfire so I changed the plugs & wires. That evening I take off to the track drive a quarter mile stop at stopsign PO306 pops up. I get to the track change number 6 coil pack no help. The other day I check grounds and unplug connectors under the hood clean them and use a little electric grease when I plug them back. Anyway this miss starts at low rpm when I'm on the brake or moving at low speed, it seems to run pretty good above 2700 rpm. Any Help would be great!!!!! I was going to start with a smoke test to make sure it is not a vacuum.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Smile

Well I hope that wires takes care of my problem. I have Taylor Thundervolts and they came apart when pulling them so I think im going with MSD now.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by caddobass
I too am having this misfire issue on my 2002. First the car gave a PO300 random misfire so I changed the plugs & wires. That evening I take off to the track drive a quarter mile stop at stopsign PO306 pops up. I get to the track change number 6 coil pack no help. The other day I check grounds and unplug connectors under the hood clean them and use a little electric grease when I plug them back. Anyway this miss starts at low rpm when I'm on the brake or moving at low speed, it seems to run pretty good above 2700 rpm. Any Help would be great!!!!! I was going to start with a smoke test to make sure it is not a vacuum.
Check your ignition, sounds like what mine was doing also.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine suddenly developed a nasty hesitation/misfire in the lower rpms. If I tromp on it its fine. One of my MSD's was charred and I pulled the boot off. That was on #4. But #6 was showing the misfire according to autozone. Im waitin on new MSD's and maybe Ill regap them a lil tighter. I think they are at .055 now. Im dreadin gettin to that #8 cyl though.

Quick Reply: Car shakes and sounds like its going to turn off.... What is it???