Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shock/strut setup for lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best shock/strut setup for lowering?

Im doing the sportline plunge...What (in your opinions) would be a good setup to contrast the lowering springs? I was thinking gabriel, what do you think a good strut/shock setup would be? Thanks for chiming in.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Do a search on Sportlines and see how well "loved" those springs are by a lot of us. It's just a poor combination of height and springrate in my opinion. If I were going to go really low, I would get the Ground Control coilovers, a good springrate for a really low height, and Koni shocks.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people here like the sportlines, but I believe they are sacrificing their ride quality and don't mind it. And I'd definitely toss aside the Gabriel shock replacement idea. In this situation the only way to go in my opinion would be konis or bilstein revalves.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the regular bilstein HD's that much worse for a DD only car? I'm interested in the lowered look but I will admit I almost never race my car and/or push its handling limits. I was thinking of going with the sportlines and the HD's, as long as it doesn't feel worse than the stock suspension with blown shocks I'm happy.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need Konis and Sam Strano springs bottom line. Do not get garibel shocks or the sportlines. Please search and read, there doezens of hours to read on this.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock and cheaper aftermarket shocks are not designed, and do not properly dampen higher spring rate, or modified ride height.

The lowering springs and reduction in suspension travel make it necessary to pay for quality shocks. Prefereably Koni's or revalved Bilstiens (for a little less).

My $.02 is that for a subtle drop(1.2"), better ride, and better handling the Srano Spring, Koni SA package is hard to beat. Stranos spring rates are well thaught out. And the drop w the higher spring rate makes for a nice, firm, but not harsh ride. You won't be sagging out back or bumping the bump stops as w other lowering springs.

But like said B4 me....don't take my word for it...there is plenty of the same advise if you search.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm contacting Sam now to get his springs and the 4/4 Koni shocks. If you don't race alot or push your car, Strano springs and Bilstein Revalves by Sam are the most popular and best choices on this forum. Get the good stuff now and don't make your mind up to settle for less.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Wink

Say "BYE BYE" to your nice smooth ride . Hello speed bump !

But hey , damn you look good rattlin & squeekin & bouncing down the highway.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, Sam says the Koni's are out of stock right now. Sucks.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Say "BYE BYE" to your nice smooth ride . Hello speed bump !

But hey , damn you look good rattlin & squeekin & bouncing down the highway.
I'm not sure who this is aimed at, with stock stuff my ride feels like I have metal bars for shocks. EVERYTHING rattles and squeaks already I can't see it getting worse.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I'm not sure who this is aimed at, with stock stuff my ride feels like I have metal bars for shocks. EVERYTHING rattles and squeaks already I can't see it getting worse.
Well sportlines are definitely not the answer to your problem. Rattles and squeaks seem to go away randomly for people who put on different things. I felt like a lot of rattles and squeaks go away when removing and retightening things like swaybars, shocks, etc, regreasing suspension.

I would think it would be a frustrating battle to try to do away with all rattles and squeaks in the 4th gen in general. These cars aren't really like an Acura or BMW or anything. I've learned to live with them at this point.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, mine rides like doo doo
Old 07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Shocks are the biggest issue.... My car doesn't have rattle issues. My 2004 truck squeaks more than the the Camaro. No, they aren't as solid as a lot of cars in terms of feel, but that's more because of the lovely GM interior and the cheap plastic. Stock shocks make it worse because the inept valving lets impacts hammer into and through the uni-body...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Stock shocks make it worse because the inept valving lets impacts hammer into and through the uni-body...
Ain't that the truth ... very apt description. Makes me wince just thinking about it.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

Well , my 02 convertible has stock suspension with just a lid & cat back with just over 50,000 miles & it still rides like a new car with NO rattles & squeaks . I purposely avoided the SS because of the suspension & tires. Mine is the Z/28 model with 16" Z rated tires & soft shocks & springs & 3.23 gear. Tires make a big difference in ride quality . Mr.Sam,you should tell the whole story now , I've heard some people say that after spending a large amount of money on Koni shocks they were disappointed in the ride quality. A set of factory fresh stock shocks might surprise you
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Well , my 02 convertible has stock suspension with just a lid & cat back with just over 50,000 miles & it still rides like a new car with NO rattles & squeaks . I purposely avoided the SS because of the suspension & tires. Mine is the Z/28 model with 16" Z rated tires & soft shocks & springs & 3.23 gear. Tires make a big difference in ride quality . Mr.Sam,you should tell the whole story now , I've heard some people say that after spending a large amount of money on Koni shocks they were disappointed in the ride quality. A set of factory fresh stock shocks might surprise you
If you like the stock shocks on stock springs, then that's all that matters. Your one of the few that like the stockers though.

My ride quality was way better on konis with stock springs. Now I'm on strano springs which made the ride more firm and you can feel more bumps, but the thing handles absolutely amazing. I think when lots of people talk about great handling, they automatically assume the stiffer the car the better it handles. Handling in my opinion is the perfect amount of body roll front and rear, roll rate, and ride height that balances the car out with not too much over or understeer and giving the perfect feel for turning and being in control. On long multiple hour rides, I'd want to drive a better car, but for shorter rides this setup is perfectly streetable.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I haven't been in a worse riding or handling stock car than a late Z28. If you like what you have, that's fine and the end of the story. The "whole story" is that no two people are alike. Hence the reason I TALK TO MY CUSTOMERS about the product and don't just like to take internet orders of give them a whiz-bang "run this" by e-mail. Do you know all the details about the folks who didn't like their Koni's? What settings? What tire pressures? What springs? What other parts are on the car that affect ride? The fact is that Koni's at full soft are not very stiff. Full stiff fully DOUBLES full soft rebound damping. The range is huge so you can get what you like best.

I'm sure there are folks who don't like big juicy steaks. I do. Does that make me wrong?

I changed my shocks on my car when it had 100 miles on it in Sept of 2000. I'm intimately familiar with factory fresh shocks. I have lots of take-offs around the shop.

Let me ask you a question.... Have you run Koni's? Do you have any footing for a such comparison? Please, tell us the rest of the story. I'm growing tired of being poked at for offering help and advice. I guess when you are on "top" you have a target on your back. How about you start a poll. You could ask how many folks dislike the work I've done for them. I'm sure you'll get a few who aren't 100% happy, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you'll get an overwhelming good response because I take the time to figure out what folks want.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

My apologies Sambo , I was just reporting what someone had said. No pun intended. Never heard anything but good about you.I was just wonding, if you had one of the good suspension set ups with some really stiff/hard runflats tires, could or would that cause a crappy ride ?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sambo????

The problem with reporting heresay is...... it's heresay. It's a bit unfair as it's hard to argue with "someone said".

Runflats tend to ride not so well to start with because the sidewalls are so stiff and tire compliance is very much a part of the suspension tuning. Hell, just running an extra 5 pounds of air in the tires can wreck ride compliance and cause a crazy amount more impact harshness.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have no idea what your missing out on... Ever ridden in a BMW, or other sports sedan before?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Well sportlines are definitely not the answer to your problem. Rattles and squeaks seem to go away randomly for people who put on different things. I felt like a lot of rattles and squeaks go away when removing and retightening things like swaybars, shocks, etc, regreasing suspension.

I would think it would be a frustrating battle to try to do away with all rattles and squeaks in the 4th gen in general. These cars aren't really like an Acura or BMW or anything. I've learned to live with them at this point.

I wasn't complaining, I couldn't care less. The point was even if the ride quality sucks with aftermarket stuff it can only be equal to or better than what its got now. If I wanted squishy soft ride I would have a crown vic or something like that.

Quick Reply: Best shock/strut setup for lowering?