Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

(AF) Any tips for ALS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default (AF) Any tips for ALS?

Yeah tomorrow's my first day of ALS and was just wondering if anybody had any tips or advice? Kinda wish i could do this AFTER my up coming deployment( I graduate on the 23 of Aug and leave for my TDY of 8 months on sep 29, not much time in between) but oh well, gotta do it so...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
Yeah tomorrow's my first day of ALS and was just wondering if anybody had any tips or advice? Kinda wish i could do this AFTER my up coming deployment( I graduate on the 23 of Aug and leave for my TDY of 8 months on sep 29, not much time in between) but oh well, gotta do it so...
I went through ALS over 3 years ago, easy as hell just remember that when you give answer's on test don't think of what you would put, think of the best Air Force answer, make sure on your speeches speak up and don't say, um, and, the, or pause for to long. I can't think of anything else but there are plenty more things. Hope this helps Wes
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Save the heavy drinking for the weekend. Study, study, study, but also take time out for yourself.

Chewy is right about the test answers and speeches. Also work on eye contact with the group during these speeches. You don't have to look directly into their eyes, just look at something like their nose or forehead, and don't zoom in on one spot for too long. Especially don't stare at someone's nice rack, that will get you in trouble for sure.

And the BIG thing is don't act like the know it all with a chip on your shoulder. I seen enough of these folks (I was a Tech. Instructor for 4 years) who try and strive for the awards, but it usually will make you appear as a dick to your classmates. You all have to work as a team. A leader will come out, but what good is it when everyone wants to tape you to the wall?

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just graduated ALS like literally 2 weeks ago. When you do your speeches infront of the class, don't say..."uhhh or ummm," alot. Also, its timed speeches 3 of them are 3-5 min. speeches and one will be 6-10 mins. You will have a mock up subordinate and counseling. You will have your first test in about a week or so just to see how much you know on supervision and stuff. Don't worry it won't count against you. The ALS test are all comprehensive test not your typical test you take. THOROUGHLY READ the statements, given possible answers and pick the best one.

Your PT, I'm not sure how your base do PT exercises but our base is hardcore. We ran 3 miles in our BDUs/boots w/ FTAC students. We ran 5-10 miles in our last day of PT (graduation day). We also did our PT test during ALS just to see if you're improving on anything.

I think its the best class I've taken in 5 years in service. I learned alot of stuff especially other AFSCs out there other than mine. Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 AM
12 Second Club

ALS is a cake walk... I had a kickass instructor, made the class actually kinda fun. Just sit back relax, but pay attention, and enjoy the time away from your real job and discover how things are "supposed" to be hahahaha
Old 07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Oh yea if you come from the flightline make sure when you first walk in the door drop a $20 in the swear jar if they have one, because we cuss like crazy on the flightline, when I went through it was $.25 a cuss word so I went ahead and covered myself for at least a week.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

just got done with als, sewing staff on in september (reserves)
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

We almost had the same class, lol. I would have started yesterday but our shop ran into some scheduling issues. I'll be in the class starting on 12Sep. I know some people who graduated from the last class and they pretty much told me the same stuff as other people wrote in this thread. I've seen your T/A on base a couple times now. The nice cam idle always gives it away.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

BlackLM7,

I think I may have seen you/your truck recently; got a pic? From your sig it sounds familiar. I drive the pewter Z28 w/clears (front & rear and Hooker tips) thats always parked in the Vehicle Maintenance parking lot. If not that the 88 white (3rd gen) again always in the same spot.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's easy. My advice would be not to stress out when they sit you down the first day and tell you when all your speeches and test and everything are. It looks like it's going to be a pain in the *** but it's not. As long as you're not retarded you'll do fine. Actually I take that back, we had a few retards in our class and they did fine and it was funny as hell watching them give their speeches. I waited until 9 the night before everything was due to start on it and still made a 90+ on everything and my writting and speaking skills aren't that great. I didn't want to leave when we graduated.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you had a red LS1 T/A? I didn't even notice your signature until you mentioned your 2002 Z28. I remember seeing a pewter LS1 Z28 with clears today. If I remember correctly, one of your DRL's was off. I could be wrong though. Pics of my truck are in post #7 in this thread:
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=397084
Old 07-20-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackLM7
I thought you had a red LS1 T/A? I didn't even notice your signature until you mentioned your 2002 Z28. I remember seeing a pewter LS1 Z28 with clears today. If I remember correctly, one of your DRL's was off. I could be wrong though[/url]

You're right my friend! My lazy *** hasn't fixed that D/S bulb yet Pathetic I know. Anywho Good to know theres a fellow LS1tech'er here in Chuck town, BTW do you know the dude that drives that CLEAN lookin 98=02 White Z28 that parks in the dorm parking lot? I saw him today in my rearview leavin the main gate. His car looks nice, just wonderin who he is and what hes got done....
Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Here's my experience.

First off DON'T **** UP OR DO ANYTHING STUPID! The instructors there take no prisoners.Yeah I know that's common sense right?

Long story short we had a girl that lied to both the instructor and the flight chief...they kicked her *** out, she most likely had to explain to her commander why she lied, most likely lost her line number and most likely was known as a "bad example" of herself within her work center. All due to lack of integrity.

Also get ready for speeches and such. You'll be nervous as hell doing those, especially with the instructor grading you and you being before the class.

Then you get to write EPR's and such. You'll get to pretend you're a supervisor and they'll issue you a troop that will either be a **** hot troop or a piece of **** troop. You'll get to do one on one counseling sessions. Be prepared for some homework about every night.

Otherwise have fun.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Went thru ALS like 5 years ago was cake man. Im a crew chief so we never used our blues much. So my advice to you is to make sure that the protective plastic on your blue name tag is pulled off. I got dinged for that. Not the new name tag the blue one. Oh yeah since I was flight line I had a hard time with the role playing BS. I was too harsh the instructor said. Oh well you have to seriously **** up to not make it.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Went thru ALS like 5 years ago was cake man. Im a crew chief so we never used our blues much. So my advice to you is to make sure that the protective plastic on your blue name tag is pulled off. I got dinged for that. Not the new name tag the blue one. Oh yeah since I was flight line I had a hard time with the role playing BS. I was too harsh the instructor said. Oh well you have to seriously **** up to not make it.

HAHAHAHA I had the same problem, instructor said I was being to hard on the troop....

and as for the curse jar yeah I'll say I probably put close to 100 in there, friend of mine was in my class he got dinged 26 times in 3hrs hahaha
Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

on the first day the first guy that sits next to you SLAP HIM IN THE FACE! that way he knows your not a bitch, then when ur instructor says something tell him he's lucky he has more stripes then you or you would do the same to him.

ALPHA dog attitude is key to getting the levitow award. i know cause yours truely didn't get it. i slapped the second guy then said i was sorry! so close! dammit.

lol just kidding-- cake walk unless you procrastinate then ur f@#$!%
i was taking two classes at the same time i was going to als.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Wife just got out about a week or so and she got some john levito award or somthing like that lol Im civ so i dont really no what it is LOL
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
My Wife just got out about a week or so and she got some john levito award or somthing like that lol Im civ so i dont really no what it is LOL
she was proably the one who beat me for thee award.

if you already started it not to late just go out and show up the next morning with hookers for everybody!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CABRO
she was proably the one who beat me for thee award.

if you already started it not to late just go out and show up the next morning with hookers for everybody!!!
Damn the guy that brought in hookers for everyone would make the donut bringer look like a douche bag!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably already figured it out by now, but just keep your mouth shut and hang out. That Levitow **** is bullshit, and doesn't effect your paycheck or career in any way. Do your assignments a week in advance, and you'll never be stressed. I would come home from school and do about an hour's worth of work and call it good.

Quick Reply: (AF) Any tips for ALS?