Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blower-Cam vs Stock Cam - Boost Pressure & Spark-Advance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blower-Cam vs Stock Cam - Boost Pressure & Spark-Advance?

This is a question of how a "Blower-Cam" affects your spark-timing & boost. Let's say you have a stock LSx engine, stock cam, stock exhaust, but with a blower installed...its producing 6psi. You have the car tuned to peak hp/tq for your given fuel, and your resultant timing-advance (at peak) is 24 degrees; again, for example only. Now after the fact, you install a quality & well-proven blower camshaft, chosen for your application by your favorite vendor. The key features of the blower cam is that it has more lift and obviously has a long(er) exhaust duration; Engine DCR goes up with the moderate increase in intake-duration as well.

Questions:

1) With nothing else changed, should your boost-pressure change as a result of the cam-swap? Intuition tells me 'no', but the cam does improve the efficiency of the motor & enables exhaust-gases to escape "better" (ie, a better breathing exhaust?).

2) With the addition of the blower-cam, would you expect that your timing would need to -increase- or -decrease- to complement it? (that is, given the WOT timing you were running with the stock cam...would a blower-cam like "more" timing or "less" than w/ the stock-cam?)

3) Did you find that after installing said quality blower-cam, were you able to run *more* boost before getting KR or were you required to decrease your boost (albeit still with gains in overall hp/tq)? Depending on how I look at it (efficient cam, efficient engine, etc), I can convince myself of any possible answer....

Insight from those that know?

TIA !
Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like you know what you are talking about be it all depends on the cam that you are going to run yes with the boost cam you will make more power with yes boost and you will have a better all round setup but it will also help with the boost so that you will not kill your motor change the top end to a boost set up and kick *** you really answered all your own questions if you need any boost parts check my for sale thread i got the best stuff good luck with the set up cant wait to hear about it again

Quick Reply: Blower-Cam vs Stock Cam - Boost Pressure & Spark-Advance?