New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on a few first thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on a few first thoughts

Owned my 98 Trans Am (without Ram Air) for about 4 years now, finally looking at doing something besides a few of the free mods that I've found online, was looking for opinions on my first thoughts

GM LS6 Intake Manifold (No EGR)
SLP Airbox Lid
SLP Smooth Air Bellow
SLP Loudmouth II Catback

Also considering getting it tuned afterwards, but as I'm not expert I'd like to take it somewhere to get it professionally done. Time is an issue, as everything on the list above I can either do myself or have done before I get back from Iraq, the tune will probably have to occur after I return from Iraq, either when I pick the car up in Chicago or upon arrival in Tacoma, WA and I have not a clue on where to take it in either place. Basically looking to squeeze some more power of what is, and will remain for some time, my daily driver.

Also, thoughts on the effect on gas mileage? From what I understand gas is starting to hit in the $4 range, or has been for awhile and I'm planning two cross country trips (Chicago to Tacoma in Oct, Tacoma to Chicago in either Nov or Dec.)

Last edited by RavenTA98; 07-21-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't waste your money on the smooth bellows. Doesn't do ****. It's all for looks.

Are you set on the Loudmouth II? If I were you, I would spend the extra couple bucks on a Magnaflow catback but it's really up to personal preference. I prefer Magnaflow on any car for sound and flow. The price is good for stainless steel as well.

I wouldn't worry about a tune yet either. Get a couple more mods on there before you spend the money. I would at least put headers, y-pipe, and a ported throttle body on before you worry about tuning it. Even then it's not always necessary.

And for gas mileage, is it an auto or manual? The auto should get decent gas mileage on the highway if you keep your speed down but the manual will get amazing gas mileage on the highway. I took a 600 mile trip out to Michigan and got 28.4 MPG on the way there and 29 MPG on the way back... A/C on for the whole thing as well. Autos shouldn't be too far off but they won't be as impressive.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:20 PM

I honestly didn't think it did much, but thanks for the heads up on the bellows, the car is a 6-speed. I was fortunate enough to notice the amazing gas mileage on my previous cross country trips. Lets just say I was more than just pleasantly surprised.

I'm not dead set on the SLP loudmouth, honestly thats going to be the most painful part to decide on. I understand that since I'm not talking about putting the car through anything serious, this will probably be the last set of mods I do for a good long time, the flow should be plenty with either bringing me to the sound part. Not exactly like I can check out the sound of each of them in person so I'll leave it to price... now I just gotta remember to price the Magnaflow's.

The tune would be as much to get rid of the EGR SES light once I swap on the LS6 intake manifold, something about SES lights annoy the hell out of me.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.ls1sounds.com