Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its crunch time for the intake TYPHOON INTAKE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default its crunch time for the intake TYPHOON INTAKE HELP!!!!

hey guys im finally underway with the mods i just installed a set of jet hot long tubes and a new spec 3 clutch. i will be getting some #241 heads back from the shop for a port and polish next week as well and a moderate cam(havent chose the cam yet). i need to get this whole intake thing figured out. i dont have anything against fast but they are kind of out of the budget(running out of money fast), and id like to find something better than the ls6 and a ported throttle body. i have done as much research as i could on the metal intakes and im not worried about heat soak or anything like that but i am worried about performance. i am very interested in the typhoon intake despite the horrible things ive heard about them. does anyone have any advice id really appreciate the help ive got to put an order in soon to keep the project going. ANY OF YOU TYPHOON USERS ADVISE NEEDED. thanks alot
Old 07-22-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed 2, right in a garage can.

way to much getto, and rigging **** to leave the shop.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
I installed 2, right in a garage can.

way to much getto, and rigging **** to leave the shop.
A little more info please. I have one on order an would like to know what I am in for.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

yea studderin if you wouldnt mind. anyone else?

LS1MCSS looks like were in the same boat

keep the info coming!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

I had one and didn't have any problem with it. When you intake make sure you drop it in strait down and don't slide it. I never made it to the dyno before my car broke, it felt stronger. I also had smokinta port and polish the tb. The only reason I went with the Fast is I lost a race i shouldn't have. Then went to the track to see if there was a problem. It only trapped 112 when it should have been 117. I went to G-force 2 days later to see whats up. I very rich and after leaning it out I only picked up 8hp. With the LS6 intake I made 410, with the Typhoon I made 370. So I was pissed and bought a fast when I left. One week later I broke 2 valve springs. The reason I lost all the power was because I was floating valves. I did fell a differents with the Typhoon, it ran stronger. I need to sell the it now.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i made the power in my sig with mine. yeah it was a pain to install, but i hear they have fixed all the problems since
Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys that really helps, anyone else that has any input good or bad let us know thanks again
Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont rember all of them, but it seams like every part, and spec is off.

not machined sqare.
Cheap paper intake gaskets
missing fitting for the fuel rails
fuel rail injector bores smaller then OEM, and very tight,
fuel leaks, having the move the rails around to stop leaks... when will the leaks come back?
fule rails hit the thottal cable braket. You have to cut, and grind it down. I belive you can't run CC on a car without ASR.

you get what you pay for, save up and get a used fast. If you wnat a upgrade over a LS6. Or get a BBK, there not popular but still make good gains over a fast, and great with boost.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

not machined sqare.
Cheap paper intake gaskets
missing fitting for the fuel rails
fuel leaks, having the move the rails around to stop leaks... when will the leaks come back?
fule rails hit the thottal cable braket. You have to cut, and grind it down. I belive you can't run CC on a car without ASR.

you get what you pay for, save up and get a used fast. If you wnat a upgrade over a LS6. Or get a BBK, there not popular but still make good gains over a fast, and great with boost.
I've heard many of the same issues, especially fuel leaks and problems sealing due to poorly designed gaskets. There was a posting on LS1TECH where someone installed one in a GTO and picked up next to nothing over an LS6 intake manifold. I would stick with the LS6 intake manifold/ported stock TB you have for now until you can afford the FAST 90/90 combo. You could always do the BBK SSI intake manifold, but I'm not really sure that it's worth the money over the LS6 you already have.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a little info on the BBK... i've posted it in a few other threads but here it is again

Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

not machined sqare.[IMG]The Tb to intake was not a perfect fit. I have pictures[/IMG]
Cheap paper intake gaskets- Fel-pro style that still seal
missing fitting for the fuel rails-Nothing missing from mine in fact I had extra
fuel leaks, having the move the rails around to stop leaks... when will the leaks come back?I had leaks but got them to stop and they never came back. My fast had the same problem.
fule rails hit the thottal cable braket.Nope You have to cut, and grind it down. I belive you can't run CC on a car without ASR.Also a negative, but maybe I had gottin a new revised model.

I have pictures, the gasket lines up perfect. Just don't slid it or it will push it over a runner.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

I run a Typhoon intake. It was installed a few months ago. They have better gaskets now (they are green now, old ones are black), there is no problem getting it to seal. A slight amount of teflon tape on the threads into the fuel rails takes care of any fuel drips that might come out at those 2 spots. Never had a problem with injectors fitting. It's a beautiful piece, and adonized rails with the braided fuel line look amazing. It was recommended over the LS6 by a sponsor here because it does make more power.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

The main reason for my post is this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=typhoon.

red = after heads/cam, headers/exhaust
blue = after heads/cam, headers/exhaust, 85mm PP intake manifold, 85mm PP throttle body

Little to no gain at all over the LS6 intake manifold.

Originally Posted by dan_e
Obviously no gains, and if you consider the tuner picked up about 10 whp, you may even say it lost power

Last edited by chae; 07-23-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

those numbers seem on par with the Fast but at a lower price. The extra weight seems to be the only negative.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wannafbody
those numbers seem on par with the Fast but at a lower price. The extra weight seems to be the only negative.
You aren't looking at the correct lines on the graph. The green line is before a head swap. Red is after the head swap. Blue is after the head swap/manifold/throttle body. Notice that there is negligible difference between red/blue.

+0.3 HP and -0.5 TQ
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Everyone's combo's are different.. I've seen graphs on this site where a fast 90 LOST power vs an LS6 intake.. was a big thread in the dyno section early last year.. we've found the typhoon to keep even with the LS6 through 5000 then pull up to 10hp ahead by 6500.

Chae.. your A/F is different between the runs.. was this back to back or was there some tuning involved?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Everyone's combo's are different.. I've seen graphs on this site where a fast 90 LOST power vs an LS6 intake.. was a big thread in the dyno section early last year.. we've found the typhoon to keep even with the LS6 through 5000 then pull up to 10hp ahead by 6500.

Chae.. your A/F is different between the runs.. was this back to back or was there some tuning involved?
It's not my car...see the thread in that post