Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Intake Manifold

Have an LS6 intake manifold on the way and want to paint it. I have heard different opinions and wondering what everyone feels is the best method?

Should I sand it, if so, what grit of sand paper? What paint to use, and should I clear coat it?

Thanks

BTW, the page locked up every time I tried the search feature
Old 05-16-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Painting Intake Manifold

Check out my Project Resurrection page and scroll to the bottom, I have a bunch of pictures of my painting my LS6 intake.

http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/Resurrection.htm

In a nutshell...

1. Sanded runners with 100 grit sandpaper to get rid of casting marks.

2. Sanded again with 400 grit wet sandpaper to get rid of scratches from 100 grit sandpaper.

3. Taped up all the holes from throttle body, fuel injector holes and whole bottom of the intake with duct tape to keep paint out.

4. Sprayed several coats of Rust-O-Leum spray primer, waiting 15-20 minutes in between each coat and using 400 grit sandpaper to smoothen primer coat. Some say to use a primer/filler, but I went to 3 places and couldn't find any.

5. Wash intake to get dust off and wait for it to dry.

6. Spray many coats of your paint of choice. Some say to use high temp paint, but how hot do you really think the plastic intake really gets? I risked it with regular spray enamel, we'll see how well it holds up. After last coat of paint, let intake sit for at least 24 hours. I waited a couple days.

7. Spray several coats of clear coat enamel on top of the paint. After this is done, wait another 24 hours or so for it to cure.

8. Get some 2000 grit wet sandpaper and wet sand the surface of the clear coat to get it super smooth. Make sure you keep it wet.

9. After this is done, pull off all the tape and voila!

Old 05-16-2003, 10:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That intake looks awesome! It's so smooth it's almost creepy to look at (in a good way though). I can't take my eyes off it....
Old 05-18-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your help, looks great!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going to paint mine as soon as it comes off of my car..

Going to be that exact same color, silver is defiently my color of choice...going to redo my side grills as well...
Old 05-19-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

It's really easy, as long as you have a little patience. Just don't rush it, or you will be very disappointed.

Old 05-19-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is part of a previous post I did about my painted intake..........................

Deciding on a paint color was tough as I wanted something to brighten up my engine compartment as everything is so dark having a black car, (ie. Black intake, air box, fenders, hood, fuse covers, etc). I don’t like silver under the hood as it look too much like cheap chrome paint on plastic pieces IMO. I really like the GM F-Body Pewter color on the body of a car but some reason I don’t care for it under the hood as it seems to lack a little bit of warmth or richness. (Hard to explain)

Last summer I painted the ugly gray plastic brace that fastens the front bumper cover to the radiator support the same color as the intake above. People who have seen it in person have liked it very much and commented that it looked like it came from the factory that way. Just the way I like it to be, noticeable yet subtle.

I have been asked several times just what paint I used so here are the details. Everything is made by Dupli-Color and was just sprayed from a rattle can. Total investment was around $10 and 2 or 3 scraped knuckles getting the intake off. Now remember before you guys flame me on the color, YOU ASKED FOR IT! It is actually a factory import color, sorry.

Dupli-Color Paint = 88-01605 Antique Sage Pearl
Dupli-Color Clear = DE1636 500`F Engine Paint
Dupli-Color Primer = CP199 Clear Plastic Primer/Adhesion Promoter

The TCS cover is painted 88-00928 Graphite Grey

I sanded the intake with 100, 200, and 400 to remove parting line flashings and reduce the ejector pin circles found on the top of the intake runners. Then I gave it a bath in hot water/ Simple Green/ and dish soap to remove any dirt or grease. I also scrubbed all areas with a tooth brush.

The masking took quite a long time as usually I use 3M easy release blue masking tape, but it doesn’t stick well on the plastic so I used Duct Tape instead. To make the tape circles for the fuel injector holes I would take a large piece of tape and stick it over the injector hole. Then rub the circle with my finger to make an impression in the tape. Remove the tape and cut out the circle with scissors and place the tape circle carefully over the injector hole. Then repeat 7 more times.

The throttle body area was masked off with several pieces and the trimmed to size using an Exacto knife cutting around the perimeter. Same for the EGR opening on top of the intake.

I was going to paint the fuel rail Graphite to contrast the intake color, but when I began sanding with 600 grit, to roughen the surface for painting, it began to shine immediately. So I grabbed the jar of Mother’s aluminum polish and a rag and Presto! The center cross over portion looks like chrome. Sweet. On the sides I didn’t even sand, just rubbed with a rag and some Mothers and it polished right up in less than 10 min tops. As you can see since I didn’t sand the side rails they kind of look like a Black Chrome but the sanded center portion looks like a Bright Chrome. I didn’t spend much time on the side rails as the will be covered up anyway when I get some FRC’s in the future.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Greg :p

Old 05-20-2003, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

My friend owns a shop and he used PPG paint and clear coat on mine.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

what is a good clear to spray?

Quick Reply: Painting Intake Manifold