Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some info , and opinions..On 89 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info , and opinions..On 89 firebird

I found a really good deal on a 89 firebird, its in really good shape, new paint job, solid frame, good body [ 99% rust free] will fly threw saftey and etest.. I can get it for $500

But the only thing im worried about is, it has a 2.8L V6 ..

So, my questions for you guys/girls are:

-Is there kits for v8 swaps availible that are reasonably priced?

-How slow is the 2.8L in these, what do they put out stock power wise?

-Should i just wait to find one that has a v8 already?

- just leave it a 2.8 car , that i can drive every day and get decent MPG, and cheaper insurance..Basicly all show , not much go..

Just looking for some opinions,

Thanks...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 PM

i got a good deal on an 87 last month actually also the 2.8 v6 but the engine was knocking horrible and the trany was shot. fun project. i am puttin in a chevy 350 H.O in it now and its not to hard. do u still want it to be fuel injected or not? if you dont want to do to much work i would say just wait for a v8 but that might just be me
Old 07-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the HP rating for the 2.8L V6 is about 130-140 HP so don't expect alot of "zip" for performance.

If your planning on a V8 swap, then in addition to the motor you'll probably be looking at a compatable transmission, driveshaft, harnesses, misc parts and possibly a rear end to make it all work. For the amount of money that you'll need to spend for this swap, plus all the headaches that go with such a task if you run into obstacles - your better off looking for a 89 firebird with a V8.

The one you want is a 5.7L Trans AM GTA or Iroc Z Camaro since these are both rated at 240 HP equipped with a 3.27 rear end. These cars also came equipped with a 2.73 - if you happen to get one - then simply upgrade to a 3.27 or something better. In regards to transmission, it won't be an issue as all 5.7 TPI Cars for that year are equipped with an A4.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Well scrap the v8 swap idea, thanks for the info though. At least i know now.

So what do you think about getting it as a daily driver, maybe put and exhaust, intake, 3.1L UIM and little stuff like that maybe..

Think it could still be a fun car?

Can the 2.8L still Light-Em-Up a bit? or is it a complete dog?