Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What do potholes do to our suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do potholes do to our suspension?

I ask this because I've hit so many of them and have heard the worst sounds from my car. Yesterday I was on the highway, middle lane, going about 70 when out of nowhere there is a section of the road that is just gone, a pothole about 2 inches deep, and just my luck it's in my lane. Well the right side of my car went over it since I didn't have room to swerve out of the way and it sounded like both my front right and rear tires hit the fender well or something. It just sounded ugly like a big clunk. Everything is fine now, car still drives normally, but won't stuff like that bend suspension components? What would be the first to get damaged from bottoming out like that?

I'm using stock replacement shocks by the way, Monroe and Gabriels with the prokit springs. They don't seem to be working worth a damn as the ride is incredibly bumpy and uncomfortable. Will something like Bilstein revalves be good for daily driving?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Sam Strano a call. He can set you up with exactly what you need for the type of driving that you do. Very knowledgeable and experienced.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

You likely bottomed out your shocks. Sure as heck isn't GOOD for anything. You might have exscaped lucky though. Especially if everything feels good still.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds to me like you just bottomed out your shocks and hit your bump stops too. Should be alright as long as you said everything feels good. Just double check things again in the near future.