General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird electircal issues, maybe bad ground.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird electircal issues, maybe bad ground.

I just had the motor out of the car after spinning a bearing. The motor is back in and perfectly sounds i now have over 800 miles on it. Took it by the tuner to check everything out. Sitting still in his driveway everything was perfect, checked all sensors, crankshaft pos relearn, balance test came back perfect, evertying is great. When i am driving the car, thats when the issues arise. If i hit a large bump it feels like the car just completely dies, then restarts. It will run like ****, and won't keep an idle. If i turn the key off, then restart everything is fine for a while. I tried to powershift 3rd gear on the highway today on the way to work, and it completely cut-out. It came back on about a second later and i continued to drive.
The 2 grounds on the back of the head were loose, but i tighten them, and still have the same issues.
Also, i have the whine in the stereo at times. My speedometer acts normal under normal driving, but if i got wide open, it;s all over the place, it jumps at least 20-40 mph wide open, as soon as i let out, it goes back to normal.
I'm so tired of cars.
Tomorrow i am going to re-check and clean all the grounds, does anyone else have any suggestion as to what the hell could cause all of this ****?

Any suggestions are appreciated
Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

it definately does sound like you have a bad/loose ground. good luck with finding it.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Start with making sure the battery terminal are tightened down, thats easy to miss.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, i completely cleaned the battery terminals, check the grounds, there is a good connection at the alternator(although i didn't remove it to check the connector). And it still does it. Doesn't as bad, but i only went 10 miles. Speedometer jumps all over the place wide open throttle, when i hit some gears most of the lights come on and the service vehicle one stays on until i turn it off. I'm seriously so pissed off with this damn car, i wish someone would steal the damn thing.

I know I'm not the first person to have a problem like this...

Last edited by 2 SSlow; 07-24-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

You might want to make sure the ground are in the right loop, so to speak. Connected to the right spots in the right order, allowing a complete ground loop connection through out the chassis.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tried a different battery today...still the same damn ****. Someone steal my car please.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I'm having a similar problem right now, but I'm still working on the issue. I think it's a bad alternator though.

You can always pull yours out, and have it tested. (don't test it while it's in the car)
Then again, those auto store test aren't that acurate, but it's worth a try.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i might pull it sunday, it only takes 20 minutes anyway.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet I know your problem!

Check the accessory + terminal on the passangers side of the engine bay, near the fuse boxes, some ring terminals (including a battery lead) come together and seat with a nut. If that nut is loose, those + wires will build up heat, melt and cause all sorts of electrical problems, like your describing.

You should know if there is a problem there, the insulation might be melting, wires brittle, etc. If thats the problem spot, you'll probably need to cut and extend the damaged wires, then tighten that nut nut with loctite!

Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
I bet I know your problem!

Check the accessory + terminal on the passangers side of the engine bay, near the fuse boxes, some ring terminals (including a battery lead) come together and seat with a nut. If that nut is loose, those + wires will build up heat, melt and cause all sorts of electrical problems, like your describing.

You should know if there is a problem there, the insulation might be melting, wires brittle, etc. If thats the problem spot, you'll probably need to cut and extend the damaged wires, then tighten that nut nut with loctite!

Let us know how you make out.

all those wires look great, bolt is tight, etc, i moved the harness around and all the fusable links. didn't duplicate the problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drove the car a while ago, everything was fine for a good 10 minutes, sitting through a drive thru. Pulling away from a stop light, it lost power, pushed in the clutch, it was barely running, and would't really rev up. Out of no where it revs like normal, dumped the clutch at 3-4k, and rolled out. Go to hit 2nd gear and completly falls on its face and dies. I love it.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer, sorry to hear about all that. I thought for sure youd have a problem with that terminal, cuz I put up with the same kind of thing, until I found those loose wires.

Unfortuently, I'm out of ideas guy...