New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Generation Camaro's not reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Generation Camaro's not reliable?

I'm 16 and I want to buy a car but for now I'm just reading and learning. I have about 5k to spend on the car and 3k on mods so 8k total generally. I wanted to find an old 1st generation camaro or something but I read they're not reliable and it would cost too much.

Which LS1 car can I buy that's reliable for my price range?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how it's built the First Gen Camaro could be the most reliable vehicle in the world, ie sbc and turbo 350 trans. But, for 8 grand you would most likely find one in really bad shape.
The positive side, if you need any mechanical parts they are as cheap as they come. Rebuilt master cyl at autozone 14.99. Rear brake shoes 12.99.
It's almost comical at how inexpensive the parts for these cars are.

Sounds like your budget is more along the lines of a later Camaro. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

If you guys were in my position, would you wait to get money for a good 1st gen or buy a later camaro now?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Launching!

You would spend alot more than 8 grand building a sweet 1st gen.Its getting harder and harder to find them in good condition.There are crate kits available,but cost a bit more than 8k.
In my opinion,go out and buy the best 98-02 camaro or firebird you can buy for 8k.
Dont settle for less than an LS1 model year pal,you wont be sorry.And dont worry too much about auto or manual.Unless you are a diehard manual guy,an auto ls1 will do you just fine
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I mean I love cars, but I'm not a diehard fan. I'd like to race and have fun, but cars aren't a big part of my life.

I mean, a 12-13 second car isn't horrible for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Launching!

In many cases here,cars are a major part of ones life.I have a hard time balancing my love for music and cars.My music gets neglected financially cause Im buying mods.I could always use a couple more guitars.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'm a minority here =P
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

good luck finding a 1st gen that is in good enough shape to dd for that kind of money. they are not cheap in good condition. like said above, your better off finding a ls1. i was in your position once, but i bought a 2ed gen instead.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by six_string_wiz
In many cases here,cars are a major part of ones life.I have a hard time balancing my love for music and cars.My music gets neglected financially cause Im buying mods.I could always use a couple more guitars.
PREACH BROTHA PREACH

First your 16, and your going to be driving everywhere... is a 40 year old car going to be what you want as far as reliability and bang for buck? NO! As far looks when comlete... yes. Older cars are anything but reliable unless they have been completely rebuilt. Hell try owning a 10 year old LT1 With your price range, i would go for a LS1 if i were you... 16 + LS1 = Panty Dropper

-justin
Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by six_string_wiz
im in the same boat. luckily i buy the parts for my 64 chevelle SS and my gf buys me guitars/drum sets (bought me an ovation glen campbell edition 12 string for christmas). this yr its kinda switched because shes buying me a new cowl hood and a few other go fast goodies for the chevelle and i get to buy a double neck electric like jimmy paige's from led zepplin. i have a 99 trans am and a 64 chevelle SS. ive had problems from the 99 but nothing major. ive been attempting to DD the chevelle for about a month and stuff constantly tears up. in the past month its been in my garage with me under more than it has been on the road. for reliability and 8k i would opt for the LS1. heres the irony. parts for LS1 are expensive but the car is reliable. parts for the old carb 350's are extremely cheap but they need constant tuning and arent near as reliable (in all my experiences of carb cars atleast). go with the LS1. i prefer Trans Ams. extremely sexy lines. and as justin said, i got mine on my 17th b-day about a yr and a half ago. even at 18 yrs old, 18 + LS1 = panty dropper. still get comments on it from girls. now its just my gf will try to beat their asses for looking at me. oh the irony!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NOT dd a 1st gen! With your budget you should look for a 98/99 camaro. Its a 13 second car that is a reliable dd. Look in the for sale section on this forum because you can find some good deals
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, thanks a lot. So I guess the newer ones are the ones I should look for then huh? =D

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget 1st gen cars if your budget is limited, they're great cars but very old and you'll pay at least 15 grand for a decent one. Even good 2nd gen cars are getting hard to find.
You can spend $7000 on a 98-02 with 100k miles give or take in good condition, put a sweet sounding cat-back exhaust on it and giggle like a retard as you spank damn near anything you come up against.

I had over 10 grand in my old one (eight yrs ago) and it was fast, looked suweeet,sounded awesome, was the burnout king of the neighborhood, got 8mpg, and would get spanked by my new one. Old cars have coolness and attitude but street car technology has moved on for the better these days.
Half the fun of hot-rodding is figuring out what car you want and what you want to do to it. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I daily drove my Blue 69 for 3 years. It was very dependable and nothing on the road cooler to drive daily but finaly after super unleaded rose to 3.40 per gallon & with my car averaging 8mpg in town I had had enough. I put the car on ebay it was gone in 3 days. I bought my 2000 SS for half of what I got for the '69, It gets 21 mpg in town with the air on and 25-27 on the highway. Not near as fun or as cool as the '69 but much easier on the gas card

If i were in your shoes I would buy a late model because of your limited budget. Previous members are right in that you can buy a nice LS1 car very resonable. The bad is you will be losing money from the day you buy it untill its gone ( ask me how I know ) where as the first gen only go up in value.

Here is an example of a 8000.00 first gen. It is a 68 RS that I recently bought. It need a total restoration.

I hope this helps,] Nick
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for all the responses...Yeah, from what I'm looking at on classified newspapers and online listings and the information in this thread, I'm going to look for the later models =D