Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FMIC Design Flaw

I know I will get blasted for this, but does anyone agree with me that a FMIC that blocks air flow to the radiator is a poor engineering design choice? I know the FMIC lowers IATs nicely, but the car's coolant temps will heat up FAST under boost making it not too nice for long term acceleration. Can this be fixed?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Where do you suggest it be placed?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1

I don't have a suggestion, that is why I am asking the question. Maybe this is the reason NA is the way to go?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine gained 4 degrees of coolant temp in the 1/4
Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Depends on what you mean by "long term acceleration". On f-bodies, IMO few of us with full FMIC setups have problems cooling when we're driving at speed... it's when we've got to slow down into commute stop-and-go traffic that we start to overheat. That air dam at the bottom of the rad does a great job of scooping plenty of air up and through the radiator when the car's at 50+ mph. But I suppose you'd also run into similar problems at the track, if you're running fairly often on a hot day without shutting down in between.

I like my Griffin IC, and I like having big *** pusher fans mounted right on the radiator; that was the solution to my cooling woes. I lost the AC, but I wasn't using it on hot days anyway... because I'd overheat.

Consider a methanol kit if you really want to achieve low IATs.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

i get the best of both worlds

Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by c5_from_jc
I don't have a suggestion, that is why I am asking the question. Maybe this is the reason NA is the way to go?

my car with the biggest A2A intercooler that can be fit in front of a radiator on a camaro my car runs 160-170deg
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club

On my fbods the radiator is blocked anyway. It is the airdam below that directs air to the radiator. I believe my rad gets more air with the intercooler than it did before.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

i have no air dam either
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Josh@MASPORT
i get the best of both worlds
I like that setup a lot, that would probably work very well on a lt1 trans am.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We haven't noticed a big difference in engine temp's with our f body front mount intercooler kits. Bob
Old 07-24-2007, 05:51 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this is the reason NA is the way to go?
N/A for the win!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... Maybe this is the reason NA is the way to go?
There are alot of reasons to go NA, but this isn't one of them. A turbo car with a FMIC running a few degrees warmer than stock will still make way more power than a stout NA setup.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
Put it at the back where all the turbo's are going these days! Genius!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

when i had my TTI street kit the IC was mounted on top of the AC heat exchanger /radiator
I didnt notice any changes with the coolant temps (ofcoarse the gauge is stock and not that accurate) but i never had any overheating problems. the IAT where very high though, bout near 200°

with my custom kit the IC is up in the nose with the license area cut out away from the radiator., i have a good temp gauge, so coolant temps are good, and my IAT are much lower i think the hottest i have seen was 130° on a 100° day.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We haven't noticed a big difference in engine temp's with our f body front mount intercooler kits. Bob
I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post. I though this was a general problem, but maybe it's just a problem with my Procharger and C6 Corvette?

For drag racing this is probably ok, but if i ever take this to a road course I can't see this working. I didn't realize these kits would not work on a road coarse (due to heat build up) when I purchased it. I know i could do Alky to keep the IATs down, but what could I do about the coolant temp? I don't think putting in a bigger radiator will help as a friend of mine tried it and he still had high coolant temps. I think this comes gown to getting air flow to the radiator and with Procharger's architecture, I don't see how to do it. If I could solve this it would be great.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

The fmic isn't blocking anything. If anything it's letting more air flow through. How could a fully intact bumper flow more air than one with a huge hole in it? Yes it has to go through the intercooler first but before that, the bumber was letting no air through. It's the supercharger heating everything up, it's just a matter of keeping it as cool as possible with the added heat. Without the fmic, it would be even hotter. My car actually runs cooler now than it did n/a. It stays right around 180. Just make sure you keep the scoop under the radiator because I did notice my temps go up when I had that removed.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

With a fresh source of cold air and good fans, a FMIC is fine sitting in front of the radiator.

Keith
Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post. I though this was a general problem, but maybe it's just a problem with my Procharger and C6 Corvette?

For drag racing this is probably ok, but if i ever take this to a road course I can't see this working. I didn't realize these kits would not work on a road coarse (due to heat build up) when I purchased it. I know i could do Alky to keep the IATs down, but what could I do about the coolant temp? I don't think putting in a bigger radiator will help as a friend of mine tried it and he still had high coolant temps. I think this comes gown to getting air flow to the radiator and with Procharger's architecture, I don't see how to do it. If I could solve this it would be great.

As mentioned, none of the airflow to your radiator comes from the front of the car in stock configuration. It comes up from underneath, via the airdam. Check it out. If you have altered that airdam/shroud at all, you may have cooling problems.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
I like that setup a lot, that would probably work very well on a lt1 trans am.
That's exactly what I was just thinking. How about some more info (mounting, efficiency, ect) on this setup.