Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting 2 bullets in Y-pipe, kill rasp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting 2 bullets in Y-pipe, kill rasp?

Well here's my problem as it stands now. I have Hooker LT's, ORY-pipe, and a LoudMouth exhuast with an 18" bullet welded in place of the resonator. I loved how loud the car was and didn't mind the rasp so much at first but now I really do hate the way it sounds. I don't want to get rid of the LM since I just got it 3 months ago. I want to try putting a 12" bullet in each leg of the y-pipe. Has anyone tried this setup before and gotten rid of the rasp or at least gotten it to sound decent? The one bullet in the I-pipe helped a lot, so I'm hoping 2 more will make it almost undetectable I know everyone will say just get a catback with a muffler, but that's not an option since I already have the LM.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Putting 2 bullets in Y-pipe, kill rasp?

I don't think you'll be able to fit one in on the driers-side.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Macs, GMMG with an ORY. i put the two bullets on either side of the y. the rasp is gone, but its too quiet. way too quiet. im going to have them taken out and have just one 18inch one in the I-pipe with a cut out there somewhere too. i wouldnt do it. id replace the LM resonator with something else maybe a borla XR-1. dont go with 2 bullets, plus i have little ground clearence and my cars not lowerd... so hope that helps
Old 05-17-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I know it will be a tight fit, but so was the 18" bullet in the I pipe. I cut both ends of the 18" bullet off that were just 3" pipe and only left about a 1/4" just to weld to. It fit just right after I trimmed it up like that. I'm hoping if I do the same thing on the 12" bullets one will fit snug on the drivers side leg right before it goes into the Y, and the pass side should be no problem.
Z-Rated, I doubt I'll have a problem with mine being too quiet. You already have somewhat of an exhaust since you've got a GMMG, I on the other hand don't. I'd be happy if it was a little quieter and just mainly want the rasp gone with the best flow.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had MAC headers, I put bullets in the Y-Pipe. Big improvement in rasp reduction and only a bit less loud.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

No doubt the work you are considering on the y-pipe will help with the noise.

Have you considered mufflers just before the tips? Might help with ground clearance if the car is low, and help a bit with weight distribution.

Good luck.