Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Header uninstall!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SLP Header uninstall!

Well I am trying to remove my slp headers to make way for some new kooks headers I bought. THe only problem was after 6 hours yesterday all I could manage was to get the ORY and driver side header out. I seriously DO NOT have enough room to get the passenger side one out due to is clusterf*uck of primary tubes running everywhere. Anyone have any suggestions to get it out???
Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SmallTires
Well I am trying to remove my slp headers to make way for some new kooks headers I bought. THe only problem was after 6 hours yesterday all I could manage was to get the ORY and driver side header out. I seriously DO NOT have enough room to get the passenger side one out due to is clusterf*uck of primary tubes running everywhere. Anyone have any suggestions to get it out???
Unbolt the motor and push it up for a little more clearance?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Just one side? And where is the jacking point on the motor? I wouldn't think I would want to jack on the oil pan.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

torch that bish
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

extensions and impact wrenchs my friend
Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SmallTires
Just one side? And where is the jacking point on the motor? I wouldn't think I would want to jack on the oil pan.
Id go ahead and unbolt both mounts. Use a 2x4 and lay it across the pan and GENTLY jack it up, its only going to give you and inch or two more, but Ive dealt with SLP headers, and that can be alot.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
extensions and impact wrenchs my friend
it's already unbolted my friend. He's trying to figure out how to get the header out.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

when my brother and I installed mine, we unbolted the trans mount and pushed the trans opposite of the header that was being installed. This was the only way we had room to do it.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

I ended up using a sawsall to get mine out. Seriously...
Old 07-25-2007, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, don't feel like destroying the damn things. They went in so they have to come out...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSsuperdave
when my brother and I installed mine, we unbolted the trans mount and pushed the trans opposite of the header that was being installed. This was the only way we had room to do it.
+1 , unbolted the xmsn, and both motorsmounts as I cussed and had someone use a pry bar to shove it over to the side while I used a hammer to beat it in place (after a day and dealing with my nagging ex wife about them I had little patience). I had 2 engine fires from those wires being too close and causing it to melt then arc on teh header. That was back in 2000 when you had only like 3 headers to choose from lol. SLP LT's, FLP's, MAC's adn shorties. ABout 6 months later came Dynatec's then the Hookers. **** was limited back then. Now hell you got at least 6-8 different choices I can name off the top of my head. I hated those damn spegatti tubes. They did give me some good TQ numbers tough. I made 360 RWTQ with just SLP LT's and a Whisper catback, without being tuned for them.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Gott them out finally. Took a rubber mallet, unbolting both the motor mounts, unbolting the trans crossmember, two jacks to lift and lower the engine and trans seperately and alot of cursing but about two hours later it was out. I literally had to jack the car as high as I could to get the damn thing out. Best piece of advice for anyone putting a set in or taking them out, use a LIFT!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea imagine putting those fockers in. I had the front of my car so high the bumper actually hit the floor I had to the rear end up and put it on jackstands then jack it up front even higher. Glad to ear you got them out though lol.