Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: True duals or catback
True duals
77.84%
Catback
22.16%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

True duals or catback?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals or catback?????

ok so crunch time.... I just got my money back from the headers i never got 4 mouths ago and im reordering them...

So what is better True duals, or cat back?

Ive decided that the setup i wanted to go with, im just not gonna fit the way i want it to. So it would be true duals dumped with flanges so i can make them side exit so i can pass inspection, or gmmg or borla catback. both cost about the same when all said and done.

What do you think is better for a car thats not ever going to be lowered, that will proably be a cam only or maybe a head cam combo soon?

this is with pacesetter longtubes
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Definately true duals for me!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's really just up to what sound you like better. Of course my vote goes to TD's though.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

IS there any power to be had over TD's? they sound freakin mean is the reason i want them and weveryone seems to dyno about the same either way. enless im just wrong?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is taken from the true dual sticky at the top of the page:

Q. What kind of gains can I expect with true duals?

A. If you have stock exhaust you will pick up around 30HP by going to duals with a set of headers. If you already have headers and a cat-back, don’t expect a big gain, but some are to be had if the catback is very.

Q. What are the benefits of duals?

A. Many people believe that duals sound much better than cat-backs. I personally believe that a good dual setup sounds better than any cat-back I have heard. That is the main benefit of duals since they yield similar power gains with y-pipes and duals take bit more work to get to fit.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Launching!

If your sure you're not going to drop it, go with the duals!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Launching!

is there really any question here? td's no question
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 AM
12 Second Club

I've had both, so here's my input. I had a Borla adjustable catback on my car with Pacesetter longtubes and a TSP off road y. Sounded like absolute **** with the plate open, but pretty nice with the closed plate, almost no rasp. I decided to do my current dumped X pipe setup with Magnaflow 4x9s to try out duals. I will probably never go back to a catback now. The sound puts any catback with LT/ORY combo to shame. Now, you say you can't have it dumped due to inspection. Get yourself some S bends, and route it out the back under the axle, or whatever you want.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

So will true duals work with my 1" lowered T/A?

What about true duals dumped vs true dual x-pipe out the back both over passenger side or over both sides or under both sides of rear end?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

i say true duals all the way and in south carolina im lucky they dont have inspection and they dont care about loud cars
Old 07-26-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAD WS6

What about true duals dumped vs true dual x-pipe out the back both over passenger side or over both sides or under both sides of rear end?
dumps can be found around $400-$500 bucks i went with the tsp rumbler x kit from texas speed. true duals are expensive as hell that ive seen if you go over the axle and out the back. yes true duals will work if your lowered there will be less ground clearance (duh) but if the true duals are installed carefully u can make them tuck very nicely under the car to get maximum ground clearance. ive seen a ws-6 with dumps that was lowered 1 1/2 inches and had almost 4 inches of groud clearance.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
dumps can be found around $400-$500 bucks i went with the tsp rumbler x kit from texas speed. true duals are expensive as hell that ive seen if you go over the axle and out the back. yes true duals will work if your lowered there will be less ground clearance (duh) but if the true duals are installed carefully u can make them tuck very nicely under the car to get maximum ground clearance. ive seen a ws-6 with dumps that was lowered 1 1/2 inches and had almost 4 inches of groud clearance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I was looking at that kit and if I sell my loud mouth and my y-pipe it should pay for most of the TD setup for me. You're right about how expensive it is to TD it out the back over the axle. Some kits go for $1100.00 or you have to buy the $200.00+ X piece then have someone custom build exhaust for you from headers to X piece then from X piece out the back. I was curious of how dirty it makes the car from having the tips dump to the ground and rumbly and what kind of interior vibration or tone defining you get from TDs. I guess you can turn the tips outward a little and allow for a little more clearance as well. 4" clearance with 1.5" drop...wow that's good. Maybe I will look into the true duals then.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

TDs if you like it loud.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I was looking at that kit and if I sell my loud mouth and my y-pipe it should pay for most of the TD setup for me. You're right about how expensive it is to TD it out the back over the axle. Some kits go for $1100.00 or you have to buy the $200.00+ X piece then have someone custom build exhaust for you from headers to X piece then from X piece out the back. I was curious of how dirty it makes the car from having the tips dump to the ground and rumbly and what kind of interior vibration or tone defining you get from TDs. I guess you can turn the tips outward a little and allow for a little more clearance as well. 4" clearance with 1.5" drop...wow that's good. Maybe I will look into the true duals then.
i angled my tips out like diagnoly positioned ^ kind of like that if thats the rear of the car and the ends of the arrow are my tips
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

oh yeah and if u go with true duals go with texas speed great customer service and good price.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

If you spend some time getting them tucked up real nice you won't run into too many problems. I'm lowered (Pro-kit) and don't scrape very much, and my mufflers are somewhat large. And I can vouch for TSP, excellent product and from past experience with them, I can say their customer service is awesome. The only reason I chose not to run their kit is because I didn't like any of their available muffler choices.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I do like it loud so that's one reason I would go with them.
I understand how you have them angled, that just might work.
Wow that low and still not really and scraping problems, there is hope for me yet.
I have only found Texas Speed to be the only one making or selling them. Who else does?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
If you spend some time getting them tucked up real nice you won't run into too many problems. I'm lowered (Pro-kit) and don't scrape very much, and my mufflers are somewhat large. And I can vouch for TSP, excellent product and from past experience with them, I can say their customer service is awesome. The only reason I chose not to run their kit is because I didn't like any of their available muffler choices.
How so? Is there another place with better muffler choices?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

TD'S will give u more hp and alot louder
Catback will sound quieter but will not out flow TD'S

My vote TD'S
Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

How so? Is there another place with better muffler choices?
I don't think so. Of course, you could buy the TSP kit, sell the mufflers that came on it, and buy a pair of mufflers from somewhere else to put on it. I like it loud too, but the bullets were just too much for me, raspy and drony. So my Magnaflow's were a better choice for me. They scream at WOT, and are decently tame otherwise.