General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS Light comes on only with new cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Angry ABS Light comes on only with new cluster

Changed the cluster on my 99 t/a because the fuel guage was bad. When i installed the new cluster the abs light flashes upon startup as it's supposed too then stays on. I swapped the old cluster back in and it flashes also then goes out. WTF?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to sync the new cluster to the PCM. A tech2 scanner will do it. It'll sync up the airbag system as well as the correct milage from your PCM (assuming you didnt disconnect the battery).
Old 07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never heard of a tech 2 scanner. I tried a search but you know how that goes..... I did disconnect my battery on the hopes that would reset whatever was causing the light to stay on. Was that a bad thing? Also, could you tell me more about that scanner? I have a OBD-2 scanner and didnt get any codes, but i went ahead and hit "clear DTC's" anyways to see if it would work.

thanks,
Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tech-2 scanner is what the GM dealerships use to do maintenance on the cars related to the PCM and the devices that directly interface with the PCM, the cluster with airbag lights is one such device.

Any GM dealer will have the scanner and be able to sync yoru new cluster to your car/pcm/bcm and such. I've heard they usually charge $75 or so. The scanners are expensive, but some machanics do have them at thier shops, you'll have to make some calls to your local garages and ask.

As for disconnecting the battery and the mileage, the miles are stored in two locations: the gauge cluster & the PCM. One acts as a backup to the other. If one was to swap out clusters, the mileage will initally read what-ever that cluster had on it, but wouldnt match the PCM's mileage, the re-sync would updated the cluster to the correct mileage.

But, if the battery gets disconnected, that mileage in the PCM is lost. At this point the re-sync should maintain the mileage in the cluster and update the PCM (most likely, I never actually tried it).

In your case, if you want to be 100% legit with your mileage, you could install your original cluster, have the garage use the tech-2 to re-update the mileage in the PCM Then swap clusters to the new, and have the tech-2 sync again...this would update the new cluster with the correct mileage and clear your airbag light as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, thats exactly what i needed!