Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

No oil pressure in New engine...Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No oil pressure in New engine...Help please

Hi,
Started up my new fresh LS2 transplant today. This is a LS2/L92/L76 replacement for a stock LS1.

I have a 7 qt .Canton race pan plumbed with 2 remote lines to a 1.5qt oil filter, and a 2 qt. Accusump tank plumbed directly into block. Melling oil pump is new. I think all the lines are going in the right direction. Total about 12 feet of AN-10 braided SS oil lines in all.

I primed the oil pan with 10 qts. of oil, knowing that the lines, filter, and Accusump piston were dry. Ran the car for about 30sec: no oil pressure registering on dash or accusump gauge. Did this twice. Oil seeping from Accusump line at the accusump valve, from (loose connection), so I know oil is flowing.

Questions:

How long should it take to build oil pressure in a fresh engine?

Did I put too much oil in and put it in "Lock"? Is this an air lock with so much braided hose?

Which is the oil pressure sender, and what does it look like on the LS2, so I can check if its installed or hooked up?

What do you think is happening here?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OMG you're screwed.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

30 sec 2x with no oil pressure is really bad. dont know anything about dry sumps though. how are you getting the oil to the gallery to feed the mains and cam? where the freeze plug goes in the front under the timming cover or did yo tap into the block somewhere.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Launching!

The crank is literally sitting sitting in oil so I think I'm fine. The oil level is halfway up the dipstick.

Now, answer my questions.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtl12419
The crank is literally sitting sitting in oil so I think I'm fine. The oil level is halfway up the dipstick.

Now, answer my questions.
Is it a dry sump set up? If so, are you running a scavange pump?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Alright, probably only 15sec at most.

No... Accusump is still considered part of the wetsump system. Its only an additional reservoir under pressure.

Why would my oil pump not be moving oil? Is is possible to install a oil pump incorrectly?

Where is the oil pressure sender on the LS2, so I can check the connection to the gauge.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

You did put the rubber gasket/Oring on the oil pickup tube correct? Without it... you will have issues.

Are you using a mechanical or electrical style oil pressure guage? I would install a mechanical one at least to confirm oil pressure.

Your engine is built with break in lube... so your bearings should be fine.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

The sender is right behind the intake manifold, it stands straight up like a roll of coins.

No oil psi is bad. There are plugs by the rear engine cover that must be installed for pressurize, i hope you got those in. Also the oil pump pickup tube oring must be installed and seated correctly.

Its not possible to install the pump wrong too since it only goes on the crank one way.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

I have an LS7 dry sump with a lot of lines between the engine and tank. It took a very long time for pressure to build the first time cranking it with the starter (coils disconnected). Not apples to apples but a lot of big diameter lines take a lot of oil volume to fill before pressure builds the first time.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres 2 plugs in the oil galley, one front, one rear, that everyone seems to leave out.
BTW, why didnt you charge the accusump, and use it to prime the motor? Thats what its there for.
And even if the crank is "sitting" in oil, doesnt mean the bearings are gonna be lubed when its slingin around.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 07-26-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When this motor was built, did you install the small (5/8) freeze plug in front of block, drivers side, in the oil galley, and the plastic barbell in the back of the block, same galley. Is the oil pump pickup too low in the oil pan, sitting on the bottom of the pan.
With a fully charged accusump, I can get about 25lbs of pressure before I start the motor.
30 seconds total, your bearings are toast. Been there, had the pickup on the bottom.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pcf_mark
I have an LS7 dry sump with a lot of lines between the engine and tank. It took a very long time for pressure to build the first time cranking it with the starter (coils disconnected). Not apples to apples but a lot of big diameter lines take a lot of oil volume to fill before pressure builds the first time.

What's a "long time"?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by racecar
When this motor was built, did you install the small (5/8) freeze plug in front of block, drivers side, in the oil galley, and the plastic barbell in the back of the block, same galley. Is the oil pump pickup too low in the oil pan, sitting on the bottom of the pan.
With a fully charged accusump, I can get about 25lbs of pressure before I start the motor.
30 seconds total, your bearings are toast. Been there, had the pickup on the bottom.
The engine was put together by a local engine builder- Don't know if these were done. How can I check? Are these plugs visible? Are these the same on the LS1 block and covers?

There was a long black plastic right angle device that came off the back of the top of the LS1 block-- Is this what you are referring to as the "barbell"

Thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Default Barbell picture

Picture of the barbell, and the oil pump O ring.
)The barbell is in the drivers side main oil galley, in the back of the block, you have to have the motor out and remove the rear cover to see it.
)The freeze plug (not shown) is behind the front cover, right in front of the oil galley. Without the freeze plug, the oil from the pump will squirt out the front of the block, inside the front cover.
)The O ring needs to be on the oil pump pickup tube, and not pinched.
)If you used ARP main cap studs, the tall nuts may space your oil pump baffle/pickup down too low.
Attached Thumbnails No oil pressure in New engine...Help please-barbell.jpg  
Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Default Freeze Plug Picture

In this picture, you can see the freeze plug to the right of the two gold oil pump bolts. It's 5/8" diameter, pressed into the front of the block.
Attached Thumbnails No oil pressure in New engine...Help please-freeze.jpg  
Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a used oil pickup tube o-ring back in my LS1 the first time I worked on it a couple of years ago. Had NO oil pressure. I had to take the front cover off and drop the oil pan in order to put the new o-ring in. That O-Ring must be NEW!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Sorry for the late, been out of town ... thanks MUCH for the replys.
Did not put the engine together myself. The old saying goes: If you want it right, do it yourself!!!!

The plug and barbell are definitely NOT in. Anything else, that is commonly missed when I take this engine out to fix this issue.

Can someone send me a picture of the pressure sender as it sits on the engine? Thanks.

PS, I did not precharge the accusump thinking that the engine would on start up, in retrospect, I should have
Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Another thing to check/verify is the recover seal. When I built my LQ4 motor I reused the LS1 rear cover seal. The two seal are not the same it caused an oil pressure problem for me.

Keith
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

If that freeze plug is not in there, your pump may be working fine, but all of the oil is pumping right back out the front of the block. Without the barbell, it might make pressure, but it will not go to the filter. The barbell blocks the path so the oil has to go down to the filter, and back up. While you have this motor out, you can replace the bearings. Check the cam bearings also. Clearance .003 max.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

where are you guys getting the new barbells and orings from? what size is the oring?

Quick Reply: No oil pressure in New engine...Help please