Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing TSP duals....got a question

Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing TSP duals....got a question

Ok, I know thousands of people have these.....Are there holes or a bracket you use to mount the hanger on the mufflers? Or do you have to drill your own?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

drill
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Drill.......

I just cut an X in my carpet behind the seats...wish I would have done that along time ago.

This was because my bolts and nuts kept coming loose after different changes to the car.

If I were you ...I would drill from the outside in AFTER PULLIN THE SEAT FORWARD!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by deejaydaze
Drill.......

I just cut an X in my carpet behind the seats...wish I would have done that along time ago.

This was because my bolts and nuts kept coming loose after different changes to the car.

If I were you ...I would drill from the outside in AFTER PULLIN THE SEAT FORWARD!
Good advice....WHat size bolts should i use?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to drill. I removed the back seat, cut the carpet, and drilled from the outside in. I dont remember what size bolt I used. I just grabed some from my stash in the garage that fit and used them. Make sure you line the hangers up on the floor pan and mark your spot. Dont eyeball and drill.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

You know what man...my instructions were way wrong now that I looked at my car.

Leave the back seat up...take the bucket seats out!!!

Get it all worked in and lined up first!!! Drilling should be the last step.

Not that they can get really high, but I've got my duals as high as they can go compared to other cars I've seen.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use a floor jack to life the duals higher...
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
you can use a floor jack to life the duals higher...
That's what I did. I put a 2x4 on a jack and used that to hold the duals up as high as they could go, then marked the holes, drilled pilot holes from underneath the car, and then drilled the holes out and put the bolts through.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

If your feeling crazy, drag your mufflers with the hangers to home depot and find the biggest bolt that will fit.
Buy a matching locking nut if you want, or a flat washer/locking washer combo.
That's what I did, a washer on each side in and out. I also bought some rubber washers to put in there but I don't think it helped vibration any.

Oh and you don't need to cut the carpet, apparently its easier to just pull it back from the rear, not sure how you get at that though. Either way you gotta remove the rear seats for the hole placement.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
If your feeling crazy, drag your mufflers with the hangers to home depot and find the biggest bolt that will fit.
Buy a matching locking nut if you want, or a flat washer/locking washer combo.
That's what I did, a washer on each side in and out. I also bought some rubber washers to put in there but I don't think it helped vibration any.

Oh and you don't need to cut the carpet, apparently its easier to just pull it back from the rear, not sure how you get at that though. Either way you gotta remove the rear seats for the hole placement.
I think cutting a small 'X' in the carpet where the bolts come through would be much easier than pulling the whole carpet back. IMO anyways...
Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Floor jack to lift the duals is the ONLY way to go.

Torque arm is always a bitch though...

The stock carpet is cut for the rear buckets...I just reached in, grabbed the bolt, and eyeballed the X in the carpet.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

what you should do is get new hangers. My lanes TDs ripped part of my floor board after a few years of bumps/scraping. the hangers that come with it are welded to the exhaust and bolted to the floor...you want to have a 'like-stock' setup. have a hanger welded to the floor, a rubber bushing on the end, and then a hanger welded to the exhaust. that way you have the rubber bushing in the middle that they both are connected to. which will absorb the shock from and bumps you might accidentally hit, and hopefully reduce some vibrations/noise.

but thats just my .02. and maybe TSP TDs come set up like that, i dont know. but i know my Lanes TDs didnt come like that
Old 07-28-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Ok either Im retarded or these pipes arent cut to fit.

Here is my dilemma. Ive got the pipes on the headers as far forward as they will go. Ive manipulated the x-pipe as far forward as it will go.....Yet the exhaust hangers that are welded to the mufflers are roughly 3.5 inches from the spot where they are to be bolted.....

Is this common? I dont want to chop up this x-pipe to get it to fit unless I absolutely have to.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Here is my dilemma. Ive got the pipes on the headers as far forward as they will go. Ive manipulated the x-pipe as far forward as it will go.....Yet the exhaust hangers that are welded to the mufflers are roughly 3.5 inches from the spot where they are to be bolted
I just finished putting my TSP duals like 1 hour ago. I had the same problem and thought I had the pipes pushed together as far as they would go so I took rubber hammer and made them slip together even further.

As for drilling holes in the floor, I didn't remove the carpet or cut it. I drilled from outside to in, put my hand through the hole in carpet where seat is mounted, pushed bolt through, and had a friend tighten the nut up from under the car.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bonertee
just finished putting my TSP duals like 1 hour ago. I had the same problem and thought I had the pipes pushed together as far as they would go so I took rubber hammer and made them slip together even further.

As for drilling holes in the floor, I didn't remove the carpet or cut it. I drilled from outside to in, put my hand through the hole in carpet where seat is mounted, pushed bolt through, and had a friend tighten the nut up from under the car.
ok question for you....Did you mount the hanger bracket on the upslope of the floor board or the flat part that is parallel to the ground? Im looking at some pics in the TD thread and im not quite sure where to mount it now

And which pipes were you able to move more forward. I know my pipes connected to my headers will not move any more forward. Perhaps the x-pipes can make it further, but I dont think so.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Launching!

ok question for you....Did you mount the hanger bracket on the upslope of the floor board or the flat part that is parallel to the ground? Im looking at some pics in the TD thread and im not quite sure where to mount it now

And which pipes were you able to move more forward. I know my pipes connected to my headers will not move any more forward. Perhaps the x-pipes can make it further, but I dont think so.
Mounted on the upslope. I bought my system used from another member. They may have modified some of the pipes but I don't know. It doesn't look like it. But as for pipes that I moved, all but the drivers side header. I used the rubber hammer and tapped the pass. header pipe on and the 1st pipe off the X-pipe toward the drivers side header. I then was about an inch from the floor where the hangers bolt so I used the hammer and hit on my bullets to move them up the X-pipe some more. The hangers may have been 1/2 inch from floor when I just drilled and let the bolt pull them the rest of the way. Long post but hope it helps.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks to everyone. I got the damn thing on. I need to re-drill some holes to mount the mufflers a little higher, but I got everything on.

THe first start was AWESOME!!!! I cant wait to get this thing on the road tomorrow. I have a set of LCA's that Im putting on, then its time to **** off the neighbors
Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the bolts for my old exhaust hangers. I just drilled a smaller hole and let the bolt cut the rest.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Glad you got em on bro!

They wont be so hard next time you change your clutch!!

Search this Thread