Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is VVT a reason to worry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is VVT a reason to worry?

I'm interested in getting a 6.2L L92 crate engine.
Is there any reason to be worried about the VVT on the 6.2L L92 crate engine being prone to failure?
3 mechanic friends of mine do not like the VVT. They seem to think that it is not a good idea, possibly prone to failure and expensive to fix. They site the need for a special tool being required to make repairs.
Is there merit to my friends opinions, or are they just overly concerned by the introduction of a new technology to a Gen IV engine?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

I've got the motor in my 07' denali XL and I loce it. no mods, VVT kicks ingood by 3K rpm. 17K miles no problems. Good base for a motor from what I'veread . torque monster yes ( with teh 6 speed suto behind it) but I'm not sure about a direct fit inanf-body or similar car.. thats why I'm going with an LS7 in the 94 B4C later this year....
Old 07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FieroBob
I'm interested in getting a 6.2L L92 crate engine.
Is there any reason to be worried about the VVT on the 6.2L L92 crate engine being prone to failure?
3 mechanic friends of mine do not like the VVT. They seem to think that it is not a good idea, possibly prone to failure and expensive to fix. They site the need for a special tool being required to make repairs.
Is there merit to my friends opinions, or are they just overly concerned by the introduction of a new technology to a Gen IV engine?

Thanks for your input.
In our R&D, we have punished our L92 VVT crate engines on the dyno with no failures and our calibration process is extremely hard on our test engines. I haven't heard of any failures of VVT components either. In the event of a failure, the parts that make up the VVT are dirt cheap since it is coming on truck applications. I think a cam phaser is about $57 from GM.

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com