Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debaffled hood, now a Q?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Debaffled hood, now a Q?...

I debaffled my hood a while ago, and now I'm afraid to drive in the rain. lol. I don't like it. If anything happened to my engine it would be a LONG time before I would be able to fix it. I would really like to not have to worry about checking the weather for any more than a 10% chance of rain, so.... Is there anything I can do now to make it so i don't have to worry about rain? I'm not sure I want to reinstall the baffles, but just do something that will keep the rain out. Maybe even something removable? I don't know. Have and ideas?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I debaffled mine and when it rains i roll up a towel and place it in back of the inlets.no problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get one of those "absorber" cloths and put that in there when it rains. Or heck throw a piece of duck tape over the hole when it rains.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Its not going to hurt anything. Drive the car in the rain with the baffles, you'll see that the water still gets past them. The water collects in that little boxy area in front of the filter and drains out.

Or just put the baffles back in if its making you nervous, you're not getting any HP gains from it.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to debaffle mine as well, I have no problem putting some blk duct tape on the scoops. But my question is do I need to drill my hood to prevent any air pressure build up? and will rain ruin the hood with water build up? thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The simplest solution, I think, is to use some sheet plastic or something like that. Cut it out in the shape of the hood scoops and devise some way of attaching it to the scoops when it rains (two sided tape, velcro, pins, etc.). Just slap 'em on when it rains. I have openings in my non Ram Air hood brace to funnel outside air and this is what I do.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Its not going to hurt anything. Drive the car in the rain with the baffles, you'll see that the water still gets past them. The water collects in that little boxy area in front of the filter and drains out.

Or just put the baffles back in if its making you nervous, you're not getting any HP gains from it.

Which little boxy area are you talking about? The area right under the filter? Or the area that is attached to the hood that had the baffles in it before?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Which little boxy area are you talking about? The area right under the filter? Or the area that is attached to the hood that had the baffles in it before?
Not under the filter, its the part of the hood in front of the filter the air comes out of. Im not really sure how to explain it, theres 4 or 5 oblong shaped holes that direct the flow of air into the gap under the filter, but the bottom part of that same box like structure, has holes to drain the water out.

I can take a pic of mine later when I get home if you dont quite follow that, it sounds confusing even as I read back over it. I was curious about this issue once too, so I checked out the the air's path before it gets to the filter, and thats what I saw. As many stupid things as GM has done, they didnt put hoods on our cars that are directing water into the intake.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you noticed a increase in performance just cover over the air inlets in the hood when it rains, if not put the baffles back in!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true. Put it back if you are so worried about it.

Originally Posted by zuuhlsT/A
If you noticed a increase in performance just cover over the air inlets in the hood when it rains, if not put the baffles back in!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking about that... But I do like the way it looks all opened up and with the BGRA nostril corner pieces in there... If I were going to put them back in how would I do it? I drilled out all the rivets that held it in...
Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youre not gonna get water in your motor I promise. ive got friends on here that drive through hurricanes with debaffled hoods without problem. the airbox is raised up, and water isnt going to get in there. if youre really that paranoid get a K&N filter to help block out the water since its an oiled filter and make a block off plate
Old 07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

I have a K&N filter ... lol. Maybe I am just paranoid...
Old 07-29-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

you are, 2 words to help you get over it...

STOP IT!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Just a little... Do you have the whole BG kit?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

No, I just bought the nostril corner pieces separately. You can still buy them. Ok, so one last question then... Do I have to worry about it even if the hood is sealed to the airbox?

Sorry I'm so worried about this, but I love my car, and I'm in college so I wouldn't have money to fix it until much later... I also had one guy explain to me how his engine(or his friend's) got totally screwed up because of that and it cost a lot to fix... That's probably what made me nervous to begin with. I made a poll with three options of "have you had any problems with rain from debaffling your hood?", and the options were No, Just a wet filter, and Major problems. I actually had a couple people vote the third one too. That was the same thread as the guy told me about that engine that he had screwed up. After that I was nervous...
Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

one thing u could do is make a piece of plastic that screws into the rivet holes u drilled out and put it in in case of inclement weather, kinda like the BGRA had

there is still like an inch between ur hood and ur box anyway. its not exactly sealed to the box.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Thats what I mean by sealed. I made a a foam piece just about that one inch thick and I have(had) it placed all around the edge of the back of the hood and when the hood closes it actually seals it right up to the hood.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Restricted User

I have an aftermarket hood that has no baffles, and sealed it to the airbox. I've been caught in plenty of torrential downpours, even at 65mph. I've never found water beyond the air filter. Since the air has to travel upwards through the air filter, the only form of water that is going to get through is very very fine drops that will vaporize before it even gets to the heads. The resulting minute fraction of water in the cylinder would be equivalent to what you would end up with on a 90 degree very humid day.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

chill, if yur worried during bad weather duct tape the holes shut on the hood.

Quick Reply: Debaffled hood, now a Q?...