Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Point me in the right direction for LQ9 modifications

Old 07-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Point me in the right direction for LQ9 modifications

Aplologies if this is too much newbie and covered before, but....

I'm buying a used LQ9, and plan on putting a few thousand into modifying it to put into my Jeep for street and dune use.

I'm looking for the best forum/info in order to determine what the best modifications for the $$ are. In case anyone feels like answering here, it will be a solid LQ9 stock, and I have about $3k to spend on modifications. I need to keep it street drivable, so uber-cams are out of the question.

Edit:
I now have read this post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

Sounds like no matter what L series engine, I would do:
Lid
Heads/cam
Headers, true duals, with H pipe (will be full custom anyway)
Higher stall (auto) - need one anyhow
Throttle body

I guess now the question is if I can do all this for $3k assuming I do all the labor myself.

Last edited by pnut369; 07-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok amigo, heres the breakdown:

LQ9 motors are great for torque stock, they came from trucks, perfect for a jeep. leave the cam alone. Some heads from an LS2 might not be a bad choice, you might even be able to get some remnufactured. I'm not sure if the LS2 intake manifold will fit right on, but If it doe, go for it. Some custom headers and exhaust would be good. This motor came stock with around 345 HP and a whole lot of torque, your jeep really may not need much more, especially if youre running a dana 30/35. That 3,000$ should also be spent on making the motor fit (I/e mounts, tranny crossmember, GM 4WD 4L60E tranny, driveshaft, ECU, custom tune, Radiator and fans, Linkage, fabrication costs, etc) It sounds like one hell of a swap.

Please post pics when you get it done, I've never seen a jeep with an LS motor

Search this Thread