General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Looking for someone with extensive lighting system knowledge (will pay)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for someone with extensive lighting system knowledge (will pay)

I am looking for someone with extensive lighting system knowledge to help me with my lighting issues. Willing to paypal funds and/or have the car looked at in person if local. This is not a typical problem and I've checked quite a bit of the simple and typical problems. I've done the searches on many forums and again...no luck. I'm at my wits end and do not have the know-how or confidence in tackling this issue any longer. Please PM if interested. Thank you. I am located in Piscataway, NJ (near New Brunswick).

-brian

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 07-27-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you post up your problem and maybe someone can help you out?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I answered your post in the stereo forum but I'll post the problem here as well.

My front turn signals will not function when I have the headlight switch in the first on position or with the headlights on. Oddly enough, my taillamps blink perfectly while the fronts stay solid. With the headlight switch in the totally off position, everything blinks just as it should.

On the dash, the turn signal indicators will light but when the "blink" occurs, the light goes half out (more like half lit). This is inline with my issue since one area(rear lights) are blinking correctly and the others are solid(front turn signals). My headunit (alpine aftermarket) lights dim when I turn on the headlight switch on either parking or headlights on.

I've checked the fuses, grounds on the passenger side fender and rear light harness (by the trunk latch mech.), flashers, and lamps. It seems like some type of wiring issue. I've replaced the front sockets on the car a while ago since the stockers looked fried (still worked fine though).

To complicate things more (possibly) I have LEDs in all of my exterior lights except for the headlights and foglights. Everything was working just as it should. I have what's called "switchback" LEDs in the front marker lights. These will light amber on the high filament circuit and light white on the low filament circuit. They are really a nice unit and worked just fine for quite a while. I attempted swapping those out to see if they both had just gone bad but same issue with other lamps popped in. I do have electronic flashers in replacement of the turn signal and hazard thermal flashers.

It just sounds like a front end electrical issue since both sides have the exact same symptom. Even when using the hazards, same thing occurs. I don't have a complete understanding of the electrical lighting system of the car or what else to check.

Another small issue, noticed that my head unit lights dim when using the brake. They stay dim until I release my foot. Happens 90% of the time. Also, battery and alternator are new.

I can go on and on in detail but those are the general symptoms. I'm not very good with checking these systems out so I just don't feel confident on my inspection techniques. The car starts and runs just fine and volts are right where they should be across the battery with the engine running and all that.

The other things running off the headlight switch power would be my two guage pod lights (also LEDs). However, this all has worked just fine before.

-Brian