Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sucking in Water when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sucking in Water when it rains

Ok I'm having a problem when it rains. Not only is the blower sucking in a lot water but I'm getting water in the oil. How is this happening?
My PCV is set up like this:
I have the rear of the two valve covers set up as stock, with them being connected to the PCV valve. The PCV valve is connected to the side of the intake(same as stock). What is different is that I have installed a catch can and a 1-way check valve between the catch can and intake.
I have blocked off the TB port and have connected the front of the pass. side valve cover to the inlet of the blower. This is how procharger has it set up. However I have also placed a catchcan inline between the valve cover and the inlet of the blower.

When its not raining I get a very small amount of oil in the one can that is connected to the PCV valve.
When it rains not only does the plenum get water in it but so do the catch cans. The one connected to the intake fills up with a milky substance and the one connected to the inlet of the blower fills up with clear water. The last rainfall (downpour) in which I drove maybe 15miles and never got above 2000rpm, water got into the oil and made quite the mess.

How is this happening? The catch cans are not big by any means, they are the homedepot ones. How is water getting in my oil?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one is bizarre, there may be an easy explanation but I don't know what it is.
I've driven my Z28 in a lot of rainstorms with my ATI ProCharger D-1SC, and have never had any problems with water at all, let alone having it get into the oil. I would be curious to see if a breather added to the passenger side valve cover would alleviate the problem. Bob
Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

The fact that the blower is sucking in that much puzzles me. It could be that the filter sits on top of the IC and the rain has a direct path to the filter on the TransAms where as the camaros have a fog light there to protect it some.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I need a ******* solution for this now too. ******* twice this has happened a month. Two mafs ruined and no ******* clue how it's getting in. I drove it for months daily this and still am and it never did it before
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, old thread

Anyways, what I ended up doing was moving the PCV hose that attaches to the bottom side of the blower inlet hat to the top side. Haven't had a problem since with water in the oil.

Getting water into the air box then into the MAF, is a tough one. The way these kits are set up, with the filter down that low, water into the filter will always be an issue.

Quick Reply: Sucking in Water when it rains